Options

Passed Net+ yesterday!

digipimpdigipimp Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new to techexams, so this is my first post. I just wanted to thank those of you who have already taken the exam and offered some helpful hints on key areas of study.

Although I wasn't too happy with my score (766), a pass is a pass! Going into the test, I felt confident in mostly all areas. However, the scenario questions that they ask are sometimes so ridiculous and full of misleading verbage that you need to read them over and over to understand what is being asked!

Anyway, for future examinees, I'd say to know the following areas:
1. Media and Topologies - cable lengths, speeds, connectors
2. Port assignments - all "well-known" ports like FTP=21, HTTP=80, Telnet=23, etc.
3. Client/Server configuration - I got a LOT of questions about interoperability between WinNT/2000, Netware, Linux, Mac. You need to know and understand how to configure the server and/or the client so that different OSes can communicate.
4. Remote connectivity - A lot of troubleshooting problems with visual aids. They'll show you a network and explain that one system can't connect to another. You'll need to pinpoint the problem or know what utility to run to check the problem area.
5. OSI MODEL - Of course! If there's one thing that's consistent with Net+ exams, it's the good 'ol OSI! KNOW IT, LEARN IT, LOVE IT. Also know which protocols and devices operate at which layer. (TechNotes is an EXCELLENT resource for this area as they list all the protocols and devices with their respective OSI layers)

I guess that's about it. All the other stuff should be cream cheese to even the most inexperienced network tech. Good luck all, and thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations and welcome! :D
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    quest_to_learnquest_to_learn Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Whats Next?
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
  • Options
    stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!

Welcome to the forums!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    digipimpdigipimp Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ** in response to quest_to_learn **

Next is gonna be either MCSA or any Cisco cert (probably CCNA). I was going to do Security+, but I think I should be a little more diverse! Besides, I'm working on a Bachelor's degree in Network Systems so I really need those Cisco certs. We'll see.. whatever my wallet and watch can handle right now. LOL