Options

Bachelor of Technology.

2»

Comments

• Options
    nknk417nknk417 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think some of you guys are just way up the latter that you don't remember how it was to start out in IT. Let me give you an idea on how it is for a newbie. I am attending a 2 year tech school and also working full time. Now the first six months in school we were learning the basics that prepared us for the A+ and now we are moving into Microsoft preparations courses.

Anyway, when I passed my A+ exams I let my job know that I had passed and that I was interested in the near future moving into the IT department. I wouldn't say that the A+ cert impressed them but it did get the ball rolling. Once in a while they would through a project my way. Mostly things like installing XP on a new computer that needs to be setup and all the apps that need to go along with it. This went on for about six weeks until I passed my Windows XP Pro Certification and became an MCP. Now, that did make an impression. Especially because some of the IT staff had a difficult time with that test.

Yah, I know it is an entry level test but also in the real world not IT people are certified. Remember the bubble, well at the time certifications weren't always a prerequisite, and now they are and companies are making their IT staff get certified, and not all IT staff even with years of experience can easily pass a simple Microsoft XP Pro exam. Oh some have tried once or twice but at least for me it takes some effort to prepare yourself to take these test. Plus our IT staff has many project going on and many of them don't have the time to prepare for these test. When they heard that I had passed the XP exam the Network Administrator the next day asked the Companies Manager that I should be considered to be moved into the IT department.

They are still in the process of considering it, however, they are thinking of having me work part of my time in the IT department until they can find and train someone to do what I am doing currently. Anyway an A+ might not mean much if you already have a CCIE or whatever, and it might not be as valuable as it use to be, but it still cracks that door open at least just a little bit. Maybe enough to make a difference.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I completely agree with nknk417. I'm sure there is many people in this forum that have been in the industry for quite some time. That does throw confusion into the mix because newbies and veterans will have varying opinions. I would consider myself still in the newbie spectrum because I still have less 5 years of experience in the field.

Lately I have been assigned to do the second half of interviews for our departement because we are one tech short. My manager would interview a candidate for like 30 minutes and after that I would take a shot at him or her. Even before the candidate shows up for their interview I'm already analyzing their resume. I tend to look at the experience and certifications section. When people put certs like A+ or they are MCSA I try to ask them more questions during my part of the interview to see if they can answer real world scenarios. Their answers alone can separate the people that are truly certified versus someone that is just paper certified.

I've already interviewed probably 3 people so far with 2 more in the upcoming week. In my opinion I can totally tell the difference between paper cert techs and the real techs that deserve the job.

People can keep saying how one cert is better than others in this thread, etc. but in reality the breaking point is usually the interview process. Certs might get you the interview but that doesn't mean you will get the job icon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    I was hired for a very specific job. That job involves handling equipment that is worth more than my car on a daily basis, and that total is usually reached before lunch. Those guys were all hired for very specific jobs too. We each have our place, and we're expected to keep to it unless we're willing to make a committment to change teams.
    I can definately understand that part, although the job I do is the more rounded one, vs. what all the other shops do. I'm expected to know almost everything. That's the cool thing about having a small shop. You can just do the job you're supposed to do. Unfortunately, I'm always getting tasked with troubleshooting circuits ranging from your basic T-Carrier and dealing with Telco to working on ATM links that end up overseas.

Your problem is that you want to do and know everything. Find a small enough company, and they may actually let you do it. You will, of course, not be paid what you're worth, and you will end up hating going to work because of all the pressure and stress you have to deal with, but you'll know more than the average IT weenie, and that's what counts, right?
    Knowing more than everyone has its ups and downs. When someone higher up has a problem, everybody ends up asking me what to do. I do wish people would take some responsibility and start learning more on their own, instead of being forced to go to training classes, etc. If people are forced, they just don't care at the end and the knowledge they learn goes down the tubes.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I consider myself a newbie (5 years experience) I am currently according to my card a Systems Administrator\Network Engineer ( I do both) I'll be 24 in June. I have great experience & alot of education on alot of things, but I still get scared as hell with the market out there. I honestly should have my MCSE & half way through CCNP, but I don't, I like beer & have add..lol--kidding. I'm getting it in gear though. This year is MCSA & onto CCNP.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    The discussion about the value of + certs also depends on your current location. In Denmark, they are worthless. I have never seen one listed in a job-ad.

To me, entry level means MCP. If you can't study for - and pass - the client exam, then you're better off doing something else.

my .02
  • Options
    hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes it depends on location.

one of our programmer have master in a top US university, and also is a previously developer for Cisco VOIP module.

he makes a whooping 9$ an hour. now obviously he don't live in the US.