Options

Is this a Packet Tracer bug?

VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Please forgive me for being a newbie. I'm just now starting to work on static routing and im having some trouble understanding it. I did a 'show ip route' on one of my routers in Packet Tracer and i got this
R2#show ip route

<Text removed>

10.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C 10.50.0.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0
172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 3 subnets, 2 masks
C 172.16.0.0/30 is directly connected, Serial3/0
C 172.16.0.1/32 is directly connected, Serial2/0
C 172.16.1.0/30 is directly connected, Serial2/0

S 192.168.1.0/24 [1/0] via 172.16.0.1

So is it normal to have 2 networks connected to serial 2/0?

Comments

• Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    show ip int br
    please
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The 2811's we have in class do this. The /32 should be the actual IP address of the interface, so it's technically not two networks.
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the help guys. I closed Packet Tracer without saving the project. Ill try to build it from ground up again and do a show ip int brief.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That /32 I believe is the result of using PPP encapsulation. I'm not too sure into the details, but I believe thats why It's in the routing table.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    That /32 I believe is the result of using PPP encapsulation.
    Yep.

Here's a similar thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/63851-please-help-me-sh-ip-route-output.html
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Soooo true!
    A good refresh and why the router would need a /32 route to a remote ppp dialer?
    I guess it was for the pots dialing with 56K modems, but i would be thankful to understand why a route was needed in such case? Was it to isolate something anyhow?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Soooo true!
    A good refresh and why the router would need a /32 route to a remote ppp dialer?
    I guess it was for the pots dialing with 56K modems, but i would be thankful to understand why a route was needed in such case? Was it to isolate something anyhow?

I did a little googling and found this, and a few other blogs saying basically the same thing.

[OSL | CCIE_RS] why use no peer neighbor-route ever?