Options

mcse or mcitp

ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
what to choose

mcse (server 2003 extended support ends on 2015)

or

mcitp(server 2008 mainstream support on 2013)

i am new to server technology

just passed ccent and giving ccna in june

i have access to msdnaa

so i can pursue further cert of micosoft

what to choose

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's up to you really.

I started on the MCITP, even though I've been working with servers for the past decade.
    I never really got around to sitting the MCSE, but now some of my customers/clients are asking me for certs, so I'm most of the way through the MCITP and just got the CCNA.
    The funny thing is that I'm half thinking of just sitting the MCSE for my own personal satisfaction and to finally say, "ah yeah, got that" considering I've had the course material sitting beside my main machine for the past 6 years.
    So, with that little digression out of the way, it really depends on what you want. The thread "http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/61258-mcse-dead-long-live-mcitp.html" more or less covers some of the questions you will ask.

If you really want to go with both MCSE and MCITP, you will find it cheaper to go via the MCSE route first and then do the upgrade exams, which will give you both qualifications. Just bear in mind that there are more exams to sit for the MCSE than there are for the MCITP.

Since you are new to server tech, you might want to just concentrate on the MCITP route as the recruiters will start looking for MCITP as the businesses finally invest in replacing old servers and upgrading.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I were you I'd go the MCSA route and then upgrade to MCITP. By the time you're done with the MCSE and MCITP the next version of server will be out andd your MCITP will already be old news.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    humm, I think it is individual preference. But I prefer to go via MCSA --> MCSE --> MCITP:SA --> MCITP:EA path icon_study.gif
  • Options
    difficulty of server 2003 and server 2008 to newbie

as i installed both in my vm because i have licences to both from msdnaa

i dont know which to pursue

what are difficult level of mcse and mcitp exams to newbie
  • Options
    Both the same, but there are more books on the MCSE.

The main differences are:
    MCITP is 2008 R2 material - 5 exams for EA, 3 for SA
    MCSE is 2003 material - has 6 exams
  • Options
    mcitp_gurumcitp_guru Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Even though MCSE is getting old now it is still held in high regard with many networks still running 2003 servers and will be for some time. Finding study material for these exams is plentiful, which does make things easier.

Although on the other side, being an early adopter of the new MCITP route will look better on your CV than older certifications. 2008 Server is based on a whole new technology with heaps of new features of which you will be lacking knowledge of if you go down the older route.
    Check out my blog for information on the MCITP Certification.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    If you have the time and the resources then I would recommend doing MCSE first and then MCITP. I have my MCSE and have been working towards my MCITP, but with the 2008 R2 stuff out now it has made it difficult - especially since most of the practice test material I have is sans 2008 R2. Besides, you will be learning much of the same material in the 70-640, 642 and 643 tests as you will in the MCSE, and you will gain another valuable cert in getting your MCSE. I know from personal experience that the material I learned from my MCSE has been invaluable in working on the MCITP - and it gives you a tremendous base for all Microsoft Server related tests and material as well as a good base for AD and Group Policy.

As for difficulty level for a newbie I would I would have to say that the MCITP would be a beast with no background. I was a newbie starting with the MCSE and that was hard - but I cannot even fathom trying to do the MCITP with no background or very little Microsoft background.

One other thing - take the client OS exam that will work with both the MCSE and MCITP. Last I looked this was just Vista, but the might have updated the MCSE to also take Windows 7. This way you only have to take one client OS exam for both certs.

Also, if you do the MCSE and then do the upgrade path to the MCITP you will only need 2 exams (provided you take my previous advice and use a client OS that counts for both). But the 70-649 test is a BEAST with the material and format. I'm working on 70-647 right now and it is no cake walk either, but you would have to take 647 with upgrade or start from scratch.

Once you get the MCSE then they should have adequate 2008 R2 practice material for the MCITP. And there will be MANY shops that do not go to 2008 for quite awhile. I still know of a number of 2000 and even NT dominant shops right now - although these tend to be smaller shops.

Good luck.
  • Options
    The 70-680 (win 7) exam will do as a client exam for both the MCSE and MCITPs
  • Options
    Thanks for suggestions

I am scheduling my ccna exams on june so after i will be preparing for some microsoft stuff

mcts 70-680

mcts 70-642

mcts 70-640

mcitp sa: 70-646

i think it will require 1and 1/2 year

i think i have to complete it by july 2013 for win server 2008 exams as mainstream support ends
  • Options
    fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have the time and the resources then I would recommend doing MCSE first and then MCITP.

Yes if you have the time it is worth checking out MCSE material even if you don't intend to get the certs, just read up on the technologies. It will help you better understand how the technologies were in server 2003 and how Server 2008 has built on them (Or what is totally new in 2008, which can help you identity the maturity of an application/role/feature).
    MickQ wrote:
    The 70-680 (win 7) exam will do as a client exam for both the MCSE and MCITPs

Agreed, good place to start if you are pressed for time, and need results/knowledge in MS fast. The 70-680 exam provides a good server presence within the learning material (For a client exam) to help you get into the server mind frame when you move onto the likes of 70-680, 70-682, and 70-683.

Best of Luck icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ya i will read some mcse stuff before starting mcitp

is it make sense to do mcitp:sa and then mcse