Opinions about Universities providing training certifications?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Do you think these have much value?

I was looking at Villanova, Purdue, etc. A lot of these quality schools are providing one course type classes in a specific area of IT or business.

For instance the two schools I mentioned above provide, Business Analyst, Six Sigma, Project Management, Operational Management, Etc.

Do you think these programs are worth the 2000-4000 USD they are asking? The time constraint is only for 1-3 months on average from what I have seen. They really drill into the one particular area of concentration. You are awarded a certification, which looks like a diploma, if you complete the course and the certification exam. I believe most of these provide PDU credits so you can go on to take exams like the Six Sigma exam, PMP, CBAP, and CAPM.

Most of these schools seem to be inline with the requirements for these exams provided by their respective governed bodies. EG PMI, CBAP, ASQ, etc.

Any replies are much appreciated.

Thanks -N2

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These are going to be of varying levels of quality and usefulness. As we've discussed privately, I wouldn't touch any Six Sigma training that isn't directly affiliated with ASQ. There's too much charlatanism in that space.

MS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    These are going to be of varying levels of quality and usefulness. As we've discussed privately, I wouldn't touch any Six Sigma training that isn't directly affiliated with ASQ. There's too much charlatanism in that space.

MS

Agreed, actual true story here.

I was working with a customer trying to get something configured on his machine just recently. I noticed he had statistics books lining the wall. I also saw he had a Six Sigma wooden plaque with ASQ on it and another Lean Six Sigma certification, ASQ as well. I mentioned that someone I coverse with on line (you), said it was ASQ or bust with the Six Sigma certification and training. He smiled and said you friend is wise.

Just thought you would appreciate that story.

Anyway I agree with everything you said about Six Sigma, I just mentioned it because it is being offered at a lot of schools, but I was really more interested in hearing what people had to say about the Project Management and Operational Management training.

I'll probably have to join a project management forum to get the information I am looking for when it comes to this subject. This is the second time I have posted and you are the only one who replies.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah, there's not much PM stuff here, so the responses will always be limited.

As far as whether or not to train at a university, or a training company, I would most likely choose a reputable training company any day. First, you're much more likely to get someone with practical experience at a training company, and second, I doubt that universities would be as willing to negotiate on pricing.

MS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    Yeah, there's not much PM stuff here, so the responses will always be limited.

As far as whether or not to train at a university, or a training company, I would most likely choose a reputable training company any day. First, you're much more likely to get someone with practical experience at a training company, and second, I doubt that universities would be as willing to negotiate on pricing.

MS

Any recommendations on training companies?