Network+ without studying

jryersonjryerson Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been working with networks for several years. I have never thought about certs until now. I just took the practice exam here on the website (I've done others as well). I am consistently scoring 85% - 95%. Does this mean I would be ready for the net+ without ever picking up a book? It seems a bit too easy so i'm not sure this is a cert I should go for.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You seem to be ready, but nevertheless considering the cost of an exam, I would suggest you buy a Net+ study guide and read it before you take the exam... just to be sure and you'll have another good reference book.

Good luck!
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    if you don't want to do network+, the alternative is to start working through the cisco exams.
    A+ Moderator
  • CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    jryerson, if you are in the job industry, take as many exams your company is willing to pay you for. The more the better. Cisco would also be your next leap and not MS
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • jryersonjryerson Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cross wrote:
    jryerson, if you are in the job industry, take as many exams your company is willing to pay you for. The more the better. Cisco would also be your next leap and not MS

Unfortunately I work for a cheap company and they are not paying(at least I have a job). Something about it not falling under the tuition reimbersment package. Never the less I want to do it to better myself. My plan is to get Net+ and maybe Server+ or Security+. After that I was planning on getting either a unix or linux cert.
    i believe rhce is the linux cert you will need if you want to get a job in that sector. i have been lead to believe that, although many start off with the linux+, it is bacisally like applying for a job looking for mcse or ccna certified guys and gals and you only having a+ certificate.

my present and my previous employers were not the kind to give staff the training necessary, as they think/thought it best to let staff learn on-the-job (working it out as they go along, with the aid of colleagues) because it would: a) save them money, b) increase the likelyhood of the staff leaving for better opportunities.
    A+ Moderator
  • answereranswerer Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kind of going on with the original question. What book/test prep would people recommend for someone who has some experience in networks but no formal training?

For instance, I know how the TCP/IP handshake works but am kind of fuzzy about the OSI layers.
    meyers' network+ passport is meant to be a slimmed-down, exam-specific book. to be honest, i still thought it lacked in certain departments.

if you know a lot of the stuff, but not it all, i would suggest trying to get hold of some of the study guides that it portals offer.
    A+ Moderator
  • AlexxZetaAlexxZeta Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think possible pass the exams without studyng...
    OK it's possible if you'r very lucky :) But not ever sure..!
    You must buy a Network+ Book.

Look at me. I'm Cisco Certified but i will buy a network+ book because there are little difference in certifications objectives and i want to be Sure to pass before take the exams..The cost is not very little! icon_wink.gif
    AlexxZeta
    alex,

why do you feel it is necessary to do network+ when you already have ccna, surely you would be better doing some more microsoft exams.
    A+ Moderator
  • AlexxZetaAlexxZeta Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, but it's needed Network+ in my curriculum because i must have many network specialization for working with IBM,
    After network+ i must begin study for security+..Microsoft was a great experience with MCP, but not it's not essensial for my work..
    AlexxZeta
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, not all the Network+ topics are covered in the CCNA material. Maybe 40%, the other 60% is the network basics but covered in more detail than CCNA. CCNA is largely Cisco oriented, configuring their routers, their routing protocols, their methods. Network+ covers more general basics, but they cover some of those basics in detail which doesn't make it an exam you can simply pass because you are CCNA, you will have to do some studying, unless you have a lot of networking experience. I dare to say, that a CCNA would have a great chance of passing the Network+ exam after reading our TechNotes and taking loads of practice tests.
  • mvillantimvillanti Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would dare to say not to go and take the test without cracking the book.
    If you are making a 80-90% on the practice tests, thank you are more than likely to pass. Although, there are great topics within the network+ that the CCNA does not go into.