Options

PatuttePatutte Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Have been trying to get into the IT field for a couple of years now with no luck. Currently enrolled in WGU for a B.S in IT network design & management. I haven't applied for many tech jobs, mostly have applied at smaller companies near where I live and places like Best Buy (Geek Squad). I search through countless job listings daily, but usually don't apply because either they want X amount of years experience at the position or there's some other requirements I don't meet. Certifications I have include, A+, Network+, Project+, Security+, which are Comptia. I also have a JavaScript certification through CIW. Yet it seems as though I'm not even qualified for even the lowest level of help desk support. Was wondering what I could do to make myself a more hire-able candidate. Should I go ahead and apply for a position even if there are a few requirements I don't meet? Also in regards to resume, since I have no professional IT experience, I'm never quite sure what to include on it outside of my certifications. I have job experience, but I just don't see a IT company hiring someone who washed semi-trucks for 2 years or someone with experience in fast food. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Patutte wrote: »
    Was wondering what I could do to make myself a more hire-able candidate. Should I go ahead and apply for a position even if there are a few requirements I don't meet?
    First of all you can do more than just apply for the few jobs that show up on the job boards that 500-1000+ other people sitting on their couch in their living room may be applying for too.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/59556-i-need-help-i-really-have-absolutely-no-job-getting-skills-all.html#post466395

And yes, if it's something you reasonably think you might be able to do -- apply. Just don't apply for jobs you know you're not qualified for like Head of Surgery at the local hospital or make a nuisance of yourself by applying for every job a company posts if it is a company you think you might want to work for some day (if not now, maybe in the future).
    Also in regards to resume, since I have no professional IT experience, I'm never quite sure what to include on it outside of my certifications. I have job experience, but I just don't see a IT company hiring someone who washed semi-trucks for 2 years or someone with experience in fast food. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    The truth. The whole truth. Nothing but the truth.

It's your job history. Deal with it. Washing trucks may not have been glamourous, but you did show up every day on time and clean the trucks to the best of your ability, right? As for your fast food job, what did you do? Did you work in back and spit on customer's food? Or did you have to deal with the public -- and gain valuable customer service skills?

Leaving recent jobs off your resume because you think they're not relevant to an IT position makes it look like you don't have a stable job history. A crap job on your resume is better than a gap in employment.

The minimum requirement for the low level help desk positions is usually a reasonable personality and some people skills. As long as you can read (and hopefully type) from a script or search a database you stand a shot at a basic help desk job. The trick is to get off the couch and find the jobs that haven't been outsourced and offshored.

Since you're attending WGU, at some point you may want to go for a "student resume" where Education will be at the top (along with your certifications). It may be a reach if you're not close to graduation yet, but it at least shows your interest in IT and your commitment. Of course this will only work if you've gotten to IT courses that can sound impressive if squint just right. Don't just list topics from the certification exam topics -- try to jazz it up or use something from the exam description.

Here's a couple more posts/threads that may get you off the couch and out hunting for that elusive first IT job:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/62164-some-folks-need-reality-check.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/40526-whats-considered-entry-level-mid-level-where-am-i-spectrum.html#post294398

http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/62093-better-just-get-certs-degree.html#post489913

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/64380-how-can-i-gain-some-experience.html
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Tip #1
    If you see jobs "requiring" a Bachelor's degree disregard that and apply anyways. I'm graduating with an A.S. in May and have ignored this qualification on multiple applications icon_lol.gif

Tip #2
    Don't just look on one site. Exhaust every possibility!
    Dice.com
    Careerbuilder.com
    Monster.com
    Indeed.com
    Your local unemployment office
    Local staffing agencies
    Craigslist

Tip #3
    Make it a hobby. Job openings come and go. Try applying to at least one job a day for a month.

Tip #4
    How's your resume? Try anonymizing it and posting it here on Techexams. I've gotten some excellent advice myself.

Tip #5
    Set up a http://www.linkedin.com/ profile and start networking.

You may get 1,000 "no's" but you just need 1 "yes".
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    I usually search on Dice, Career builder, sometimes monster. As soon as I can find where I have my resume saved I'll post it. What do you mean by anonymizing it? I was wondering if not having a drivers license might be hurting me? Long story short, I've had 3 permits, but no one ever had time to take me in for the drivers test. One slight roadblock I have is the current area I live in is a bit limited as far IT companies. Was considering a move, possibly to Florida, it seems as though there are plenty of IT opportunities there.
  • Options
    Anonymize, as in make a copy of your resume taking out your personal information.
  • Options
    Education

Western Governors University, Salt Lake City, Utah

Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design + Management, expected 10/12

Certifications

Comptia A+ IT Technician
    Comptia Network +
    Comptia Project+
    Comptia Security+
    CIW Javascript

Employment

Walmart of Effingham IL & Myrtle Beach SC (08/08-03/10)
    Duties included stocking shelves with store merchandise, as well as minor customer assistance.

Blue Beacon of Effingham, IL (02/08-04/08 )
    Duties included cleaning semi-trucks, as well as general clean up of facility.

Innovative Staffing Solutions of Effingham, IL (07/07-02/08 )
    Temporary agency which provided work opportunities through various factories in the Effingham and Mattoon area. Duties consisted of mostly light industrial work.

Truck-O-Mat of Effingham, IL (08/05-07/07)
    Duties included cleaning of semi-trucks, general clean up of facility, as well as customer service.

Was gonna post as attachment, but I can't do attachments yet.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you have some customer service experience, you might be able to get a position working help desk or a call center. . A big part of those positions and pretty much all IT positions is soft skills. Your certs and current attendance at WGU show you have technical skills.
    Have you thought about IT positions in the companies you have worked for? Perhaps one of the people there may know of a position and can put in a good word for you. It's often the person who knows someone in the company, rather than the most qualified person, who gets the job.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Have you thought about IT positions in the companies you have worked for? Perhaps one of the people there may know of a position and can put in a good word for you. It's often the person who knows someone in the company, rather than the most qualified person, who gets the job.

It's something I've looked into before. Where I'm working @ right now, The Bowery (Bar in Myrtle Beach, SC) I talked to the manager. I told him about my IT background. He said it was definetly good to know, he told me he was gonna call me in one day this week to look at his personal computers. Hopefully something good will come out of this. They have a band that performs mon-sat & they do a live broadcast on Ustream. Was kinda hoping to move from washing beer mugs to taking care of the computers @ the bar.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's something I've looked into before. Where I'm working @ right now, The Bowery (Bar in Myrtle Beach, SC) I talked to the manager. I told him about my IT background. He said it was definetly good to know, he told me he was gonna call me in one day this week to look at his personal computers. Hopefully something good will come out of this. They have a band that performs mon-sat & they do a live broadcast on Ustream. Was kinda hoping to move from washing beer mugs to taking care of the computers @ the bar.

First of all, welcome to TE.

You may want to find a job that deals with POS (Point-Of-Sale) machines/PCs. (Like what you would find in most bar/restaurants like TGIF, AppleBees, etc). It's technically IT, you can get some good experience, and it's real easy to break into something like that. Healthcare IT is another place for entry-level IT. Also non-profits. Believe me...it is NOT impossible to break into IT, I don't care where in the country you're at. If you want to do it, you'll do it...one way or the other.
  • Options
    techlady007techlady007 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE !!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Another Carolinian! I didn't see that on your profile.
  • Options
    Another Carolinian! I didn't see that on your profile.

I must have accidentally skipped over that when filling out my profile. Was wondering if testimonials from people I've helped with PC problems might be something to include on my resume. Like in the form of a website link.

Basically trying to think of anything I could do to increase my chances of getting a job. I have a few places I'm gonna apply to day. I set up a twitter & Linkedin account. Not sure exactly what to post on Twitter, but I'm sure I'll think of something.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I must have accidentally skipped over that when filling out my profile. Was wondering if testimonials from people I've helped with PC problems might be something to include on my resume. Like in the form of a website link.

Basically trying to think of anything I could do to increase my chances of getting a job. I have a few places I'm gonna apply to day. I set up a twitter & Linkedin account. Not sure exactly what to post on Twitter, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

I've found little use for it. I quit posting for a while and than all of a sudden get the urge to try it again... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options

It sounds like you have more forward momentum now. Good for you! icon_thumright.gif Now you just need to keep up a consistent effort putting in those applications and who knows what your life will be like 6 months from now.