Lots of certification ... experience in Hardware/Desktop support Local Tech Shop

AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
About 10-15 years experience as a tech assoc but mostly at the local computer mom & pop tech shop fixing PC's

Certification wise I have
210
215
A+
2 Netork+
Security+
MCSA (270, 290, 291)
working on getting 260 and 242 to get a MCITP Enterprise.

Looking for post on how I look for a corporate or government job

From my perspective of the job market I'm thinking a min or 16/hr to a max 21/hr

But what is it really like (out there) in the job market

Side note: For those who want to know what I've been doing waiting around basically doing nothing but working at the local tech shop instead of looking for a high paying corporate jobs. I've been taking care of a family member cause their was no time for job seeking.

Comments

  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    What do you want to do?

    You can head in a million directions and if you don't have clear understanding of what you want to do its going to be hard to give you advice.

    Once you have an idea of what you want to do.... your "ideal job" you should do some searches on various job sites and see whats required of those roles.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

    Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AndreL wrote: »
    Looking for post on how I look for a corporate or government job

    From my perspective of the job market I'm thinking a min or 16/hr to a max 21/hr

    But what is it really like (out there) in the job market

    post your resume on dice.com and monster.com and search for places you would want to work and apply to them.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Priston wrote: »
    post your resume on dice.com and monster.com and search for places you would want to work and apply to them.

    Great advice.

    Adding to what Priston suggested -- be sure to revamp your resume geared towards what you want to do. Say you want to do Network Engineering well the first logical step would be to look for a network support role (Network Tech., NOC Tech., etc).
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

    Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interested in being a network admin working working towards a network engineer but I really want to know how much am I worth. How much per hour or year.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    AndreL wrote: »
    I really want to know how much am I worth. How much per hour or year.

    That's hard to say. Best thing you can do (like others have said) is to just post your resume, and let them come to you. You can get a ball-park idea of what you might be worth, but just make sure your resume speaks to your true ability.. by that I mean, don't sell yourself short or anything.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    AndreL wrote: »
    Interested in being a network admin working working towards a network engineer but I really want to know how much am I worth. How much per hour or year.

    I thing your estimates are pretty close. Until you become more specialized in server or network stuff you can normally expect $35k-$45k with your skill level.

    I came from the same situation about a year ago. I spent 7 years in a small time PC repair shop and then decided to jump into the big time. I lucked up and found a desktop support job that pays at the high end of that range. But I see other listings every day that are anywhere in between.

    Of course this can vary by location as well. The above applies to my area in central MS.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • AndreLAndreL Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I thing your estimates are pretty close. Until you become more specialized in server or network stuff you can normally expect $35k-$45k with your skill level.

    I lucked up and found a desktop support job that pays at the high end of that range.

    Thanks xenodamus thats what I'm referring to a range of what certification is worth. Cause I'm looking at these averages and they don't mean squat if you don't have the right experience.

    Like this one that is not very realistic

    Also I may be forced to get a help desk-job starting out but what is "High Scale Pay" for a job like that.
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    If you are have any interest in living in wv I can see what I can do about a potential gov contracting gig. Send a PM this way if so
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,568 ■■■■■■■□□□
    usajobs.gov for guvvie jobs... acpol for Army jobs that may not be posted on usajobs.
    Working on: CCSP, definitely, maybe. On the twitters: @mcole1008
Sign In or Register to comment.