Options

How difficult is the N+ anyway?

Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Opinions seem to vary widely. One poster here said if you can answer the textbook end of chapter review questions about 80% right you're good, while at the other end of the spectrum, one poster characterized the exam as chock-full of vague and dastardly-difficult multiple-answer questions that required much more knowledge than mere facts-based responses.

How does it compare in difficulty to the A+ for example?

I'm trying to get the Network+ with no experience as a network admin. In other words I'm trying to do it all from books. Has anyone else managed this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    you can do it all from books.
    and you don't need to be a network admin to pass this or even work in the field.
    its more of an exam to test you on how networks operate, what it consists of and how to do some light troubleshooting. I will admit it is definitely harder than A+.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Ed1975 wrote: »
    Opinions seem to vary widely. One poster here said if you can answer the textbook end of chapter review questions about 80% right you're good, while at the other end of the spectrum, one poster characterized the exam as chock-full of vague and dastardly-difficult multiple-answer questions that required much more knowledge than mere facts-based responses.

How does it compare in difficulty to the A+ for example?

I'm trying to get the Network+ with no experience as a network admin. In other words I'm trying to do it all from books. Has anyone else managed this?

A better question would be "How difficult or easy would it be for <me/Ed>?" Where are you in terms of networking knowledge? Any experience? Are you used to test taking or do you shiver and sweat before or during exams usually? Mike Meyers' book has a section devoted to amount of effort required depending on your networking exposure or knowledge.

Then there is the question of actual exam vs. the topics and objectives. The subjects and topics covered are wide but not very deep. You are not going to do anything like designing a network or solve an intricate networking issue.

The exam has a few vague (more appropriately awkwardly worded) questions but not a choke full of questions like that. Sometimes there are a lot of assumptions which aren't mentioned in the question. You will have to guess what the question is trying to test.

I have not seen any dastardly difficult questions. There are a couple of questions I don't know or just didn't dwell over because I know I don't know the answer. I just guessed.

A huge percentage of the questions can be answered by just plain knowledge: protocols, limitations of technology, distances, port #s. Absolutely no reasoning or thinking needed. You just need to be able to recall. The multiple choice style makes this even easier because you don't have to write on your own but pick the answer(s).

Of the remaining few which might seem a little difficult, you can answer using elimination method. You will end up with more likely two choices and with a little effort can be answered. Very few questions may not be answered this way, you can just guess and move on.

Network+ can be easily passed with a few weeks to a month of preparation depending on your experience level.

I have access to several different types of material -- books, videos, SIMs, practice tests. But my preferred method is studying books and then practice tests. You can study any of the well known books (Sybex study guide, Mike Meyers, etc.) and pass this exam. In fact, trying to learn from several different sources can waste time and slow you down. Just refer to a different material if you find a topic difficult or not well covered in your regular book. You can buy practice tests as you approach the scheduled date.

I suspect you are anxious about exam. If you prepare well ....you are more likely to come out of the test center thinking "I didn't know there were so many ways to ask if I knew what XXX is?" or "this is it?" icon_smile.gif There is no need to worry about how badly questions are written. Those are not something you have to fret about.
  • Options
    Chris RussoChris Russo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it was that hard, but I studied almost everyday for a few months. You have to make sure that you know ALL your port numbers, protocols, and technologies, I had more than several WAN questions that would have threw me off if i didn't study hard. During the test I actually thought to myself "Wow this is it, thank God!". Just study really hard and anyone can pass this basic test.
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wouldn't say its hard IF you have studied for it. I ain't a network admin but still aced it.
    For me the most effective way to study for this exam was by reading books, doing practice tests. Go through the objectives as well to make sure you understand them.
  • Options
    jameisterjameister Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    A better question would be "How difficult or easy would it be for <me/Ed>?" Where are you in terms of networking knowledge? Any experience? Are you used to test taking or do you shiver and sweat before or during exams usually? Mike Meyers' book has a section devoted to amount of effort required depending on your networking exposure or knowledge.

Then there is the question of actual exam vs. the topics and objectives. The subjects and topics covered are wide but not very deep. You are not going to do anything like designing a network or solve an intricate networking issue.

The exam has a few vague (more appropriately awkwardly worded) questions but not a choke full of questions like that. Sometimes there are a lot of assumptions which aren't mentioned in the question. You will have to guess what the question is trying to test.

I have not seen any dastardly difficult questions. There are a couple of questions I don't know or just didn't dwell over because I know I don't know the answer. I just guessed.

A huge percentage of the questions can be answered by just plain knowledge: protocols, limitations of technology, distances, port #s. Absolutely no reasoning or thinking needed. You just need to be able to recall. The multiple choice style makes this even easier because you don't have to write on your own but pick the answer(s).

Of the remaining few which might seem a little difficult, you can answer using elimination method. You will end up with more likely two choices and with a little effort can be answered. Very few questions may not be answered this way, you can just guess and move on.

Network+ can be easily passed with a few weeks to a month of preparation depending on your experience level.

I have access to several different types of material -- books, videos, SIMs, practice tests. But my preferred method is studying books and then practice tests. You can study any of the well known books (Sybex study guide, Mike Meyers, etc.) and pass this exam. In fact, trying to learn from several different sources can waste time and slow you down. Just refer to a different material if you find a topic difficult or not well covered in your regular book. You can buy practice tests as you approach the scheduled date.

I suspect you are anxious about exam. If you prepare well ....you are more likely to come out of the test center thinking "I didn't know there were so many ways to ask if I knew what XXX is?" or "this is it?" icon_smile.gif There is no need to worry about how badly questions are written. Those are not something you have to fret about.

I think certhelp pretty much somes it up here. Yes there are some pretty awkward questions that make you think "are you trying to say this or that?" and that is either the bad grammer in how they ask or just trying to catch you out. But overall those sort of questions are minimal on the grand scale of all of the questions asked.

The majority of the questions is how well your knowledge is on the particular subjects and you don't need any experience in networking to achieve this, they can all be answered through self study, i.e. books, videos and practice tests.

Personally I found the professor messer videos easier to understand then an entire book I read, but that is just down to personal learning, we all have different learning abilites.

I totally agree with certhelp that you can waste your time going through too much different sources.

Just stick to one method that's good for you combined with the practice tests and your be fine. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found the Network+ to be really easy if you study and are prepared. I would say it's harder than the A+ exam easily due to the vast amount of content to learn such as cables, ports, OSI model, network troubleshooting commands, etc.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great thread! I think my faith in passing has been renewed. Thanks for the post certhelp, very informative.
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    ^ You are welcome and good luck, nimrod.
  • Options
    xphantasmxxphantasmx Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I felt Network+ was harder than Sec+ even though I took Sec+ after Network+ matter of fact I took Sec+ 10days later. The only difference being is that I am in the Network degree program at my college. I am about to take WAN ( wide area network) so really I don't know what I want to know yet. I highly recommend reading Darill Gibsons book for Sec+. I read his book in 22 hours and did all his quizzes and assessment, exam in the book. I read his book and studied for 9 days total everyday 6 hours or more. If you put in the effort you can pass no PROBLEM. Good luck