Can someone recommend a good AV for Win2k SBS

KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I've taken on a job for a small company that's using Win2k SBS, the thing was completely overrun with viruses which I've cleaned using VET Anti-Virus.

The problem is that more and more viruses will get on the server because they're running exchange for their emails, so they've asked me to recommend an AV that will protect their files, emails and filter the ISA Firewall, can someone recommend a really good product that can do all 3?

icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Symantec Enterprise
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    RussS wrote:
    Symantec Enterprise

icon_eek.gif

sorry, not a fan of Symantec's stuff anylonger

TrendMicro' Client/Server/Messaging Small Medium Business
    or a product from AVG.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry, I have to go with Symantec's SBS product over Trends.

I recently ripped Trend off of a server and replaced it with Symantec. The problems could have been configuration issues and not product related, but it left a bad taste.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Symantec's product has just not proven itself with me. It bandwidth and system sink (IMO) and McAfee was the previous choice. However, network traffic issues and management in a field test proved that Trend was a much better fit for all our clients.

AVG also was an option but I was overrulled icon_sad.gif Otherwise I may have considered Computer Associates product.

I think they all offer a trial version - so do that short term and see what you like.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Though it's more than five years ago, I had very good experience with TrendMicro's anti-virus wall to protect Exchange server from viruses from external connections (internet as well as branch offices in countries where virus protection wasn't a big issue). I also managed a large project for a complete anti-virus solution (external connections, Exchange information store, and client side (Windows 95+Outlook) protection, and at that time the reports and tests clearly showed that Trendmicro and McAffee was the most effective combination.

It's better to use products from different vendors as it drastically reduces the chance that you get infected by a virus for which there isn't a signature yet. I haven't stumbled upon any lately, but I think you should be able to find some of those reports with professional review of lab tests of individual products and/or combinations. If budget it an issue, make sure you carefully check out and compare the licensing options as well.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I've always advocated Symantec's corporate products, and it's what I set my customers up with when they finally decide they want an anti-virus solution. Never had a problem with it. It's also what I personally run.

However, we're using Trend here at work, and it's been rock solid. It's impressed me enough that I'm considering giving it a run on my home network
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

Ok I've decided on trying out Trend Micro Anti-Virus, they have evaluation software and I'll test it out to see if it works out ok.