Options

question about duplex mode of wlan

szokpszokp Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
the following clause is copy from BCMSN student guide:

TIP IEEE 802.11 WLANs are always half-duplex because transmitting and receiving stations use the same frequency. Only one station can transmit at any time; otherwise, collisions occur. To achieve full-duplex mode, all transmitting would have to occur on one frequency and all receiving would occur over a different frequency—much like full-duplex Ethernet links work. Although this is certainly possible and practical, the 802.11 standards don’t permit full-duplex operation.

does these mean that all currently engaged wlan is running in half-duplex mode ? for all i know,all currently wlan is running under IEEE802.11 standard, like 802.11b、802.11g...etc.

Comments

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes all WLAN is running in Half-Duplex mode.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Yes all WLAN is running in Half-Duplex mode.

...and with headers the size of the moon. Stuff like this is why when people request a wireless phone I cringe. It's basically a hub mounted on the ceiling.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    ...and with headers the size of the moon. Stuff like this is why when people request a wireless phone I cringe. It's basically a hub mounted on the ceiling.

LOL,

"That's no moon!"

It's a 802.11 header!

Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    szokpszokp Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for all replies!