Options

QOS: Bandwidth vs Priority

mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
So this is something I've had trouble grasping for a while now.

It seems like bandwidth and priority are similar, but I've only seen one difference:
Priority percent 20 - This would mean that 20% of the pipe is reserved (when saturated), but any traffic above 20% will be queued or dropped.
Bandwidth percent 20 - This would mean that 20% of the pipe is reserved (when saturated), but additional traffic above 20% still can be prioritized.

I don't get it. Obviously I'm missing something.
_______LAB________
2x 2950
2x 3550
2x 2650XM
2x 3640
1x 2801

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The part you are missing is that the priority queue is emptied first.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    The part you are missing is that the priority queue is emptied first.

Gotcha. So priority queue is emptied before bandwidth queue.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mzinz wrote: »
    So this is something I've had trouble grasping for a while now.

It seems like bandwidth and priority are similar, but I've only seen one difference:
    Priority percent 20 - This would mean that 20% of the pipe is reserved (when saturated), but any traffic above 20% will be queued or dropped.
    Bandwidth percent 20 - This would mean that 20% of the pipe is reserved (when saturated), but additional traffic above 20% still can be prioritized.

I don't get it. Obviously I'm missing something.

As I understand it, Traffic that matches the priority queue can _only_ use the priority queue. I.e. let's say you have a voice vlan and you put all traffic from that vlan into "priority percent 20". The voice vlan would _never_ exceed 20 percent usage across the interface where the policy-map is applied. OTOH, it would always be forwarded first to ensure low latency.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    The voice vlan would _never_ exceed 20 percent usage across the interface where the policy-map is applied.

If the link is not congested the traffic from the priority class will still be transmitted even if exceeding 20%. The drop action only takes affect during times of congestion. Only traffic that conforms to the built in policer is garunteed priority though.
  • Options
    If the link is not congested the traffic from the priority class will still be transmitted even if exceeding 20%. The drop action only takes affect during times of congestion. Only traffic that conforms to the built in policer is garunteed priority though.

Hah, too bad cisco cancelled ONT while I was studying for it :). Hopefully, I would've caught this in the Exam Guide for ONT (which I've paid for, grrr....)

edit: studying FOR
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    kurferkurfer Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A priority queue is also strict in the fact that you are not allowed to use more bandwidth than allowed in the queue.

They are used to often protect voice from starving data.

Bandwidth queue's allow more bandwidth if it's available.
  • Options
    kurfer wrote: »
    A priority queue is also strict in the fact that you are not allowed to use more bandwidth than allowed in the queue.

They are used to often protect voice from starving data.

Bandwidth queue's allow more bandwidth if it's available.

You seem to confirm how I thought it worked.

Am I misunderstanding something?
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    You seem to confirm how I thought it worked.

Am I misunderstanding something?

The priority queue will only hold the amount of traffic configured, but the traffic is not dropped unless there is congestion. If there is no congestion it is still forwarded but not given priority.

So, you are not entirely correct in saying that the class will never exceed the 20% (or what ever is configured). See the link below. Specifically this portion.

"During congestion conditions, the traffic class is guaranteed bandwidth equal to the specified rate. (Recall that bandwidth guarantees are only an issue when an interface is congested.) In other words, the priority command provides a minimum bandwidth guarantee. In addition, the priority command implements a maximum bandwidth guarantee. Internally, the priority queue uses a token bucket that measures the offered load and ensures that the traffic stream conforms to the configured rate. Only traffic that conforms to the token bucket is guaranteed low latency. Any excess traffic is sent if the link is not congested or is dropped if the link is congested."

Comparing the bandwidth and priority Commands of a QoS Service Policy [QoS Packet Marking] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    OK, I still don't get it, but now I'm blaming the beer.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My understanding of it, though I have not touched the material since I took the test, but the priority command will create a max and min amount of bandwidth that can be consumed, but it will also forward the data before all other queues are considered.

Sort of like having a queue 4/5 of a mile long for a ride, and another queue 1/5 mile long for 'speed line'. The 'speed line' will get onto the ride first, and emptied first, before the 4/5 mile queue is allowed on the ride.

This graph in the above link is a good sum up:
    Function | bandwidth Command | priority Command

Minimum bandwidth guarantee | Yes | Yes

Maximum bandwidth guarantee | No | Yes

Built-in policer | No | Yes

Provides low latency | No | Yes
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    I think it would be beneficial for you to learn about traffic policing and token buckets. It may help you understand the processing behind the priority queue.