Options

What to go for?

mwaterloomwaterloo Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm in college right now, and we're studying these topics -

4ZIFh.png

Which certs, out of the ones listed, should I get? I'm not sure whether I want to go into server administration or networking. Both seem to have their +'s and -'s. I guess what I'm asking is.. how does the market look like? Would it be easier to get a job as an admin than a networking person? Especially if you don't have a car?

Thanks a lot. :)

Comments

• Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Both tracks have a lot of promise, I started in Networking and then moved to System Administration and Engineering to broaden my skill set. I am now heading to security analysis and penetration testing.

There are jobs in all the domains it depends on what interests you. The first thing you need to do is either buy a car or live in a area with a great public transportation system.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the response.
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    The first thing you need to do is either buy a car or live in a area with a great public transportation system.
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with Canada's licensing system, but I've only got the "G1" license.
    New drivers of passenger vehicles learn to drive with six important conditions with a G1 licence. A new driver must hold a G1 licence for a minimum of 12 months before attempting the G1 road test. This time can be reduced to eight months if you successfully complete a Ministry-approved Beginner Driver Education Course . Drivers earn more privileges after passing their G1 road test.
    I just got it, so I have to wait until next year before I can even try to get my G2.

But overall I'm guessing that networking guys would have to travel more, right? Or is that just a misconception?
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Depends on your area, search online for job postings and see what's out there.

As far as which certs to get.. Get them all this will leave you very well rounded.

Linux
    Exchange
    Server 2008
    Cisco Routers/Switches

Which is a good, you will have skills to fall back on. Knowledge in each area, which makes you look better and after working with technologies you can decent down the road which path you want to take.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mwaterloo wrote:
    There are as many opinions as people, but there must be a middle ground.

I think you summed it up well there. You are going to get many opinions on what certification to get. I think the more important thing right now for you is to work on finding some kind of part time work/internship while you go to school. That way you will have a little experience on your resume when you get out which is a lot more beneficial to your career than certifications when trying to break into the field. It will also give you a better idea of what path you want to go so you aren't chasing certifications that end up not helping you get where you want to go in the end.

mwaterloo wrote:
    But overall I'm guessing that networking guys would have to travel more, right? Or is that just a misconception?

That's just a misconception. How much you travel will depend on the role you are in more so than the technology it deals with. If you are consulting then you will most likely be in for some travel, but if you are an admin/engineer (network or system) for a single site then travel will probably be close to zero.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I think the more important thing right now for you is to work on finding some kind of part time work/internship while you go to school. That way you will have a little experience on your resume when you get out which is a lot more beneficial to your career than certifications when trying to break into the field.
    Actually, I have a part time job at my school as the network administrator's assistant.

From Monday to Thursday I usually do what you would call help desk support - help the students set up the network printer on their computers, make sure the printer has enough paper, reset their passwords, fix connectivity issues (usually it's either a disconnected ethernet cable or the school's firewall is frozen).

On Fridays though, I get to do a little more. Fix computers/reinstall OS', etc. For example, yesterday I got to set up (I guess I should say TRY to set up) the Cisco ASA 5510 with the school's net admin. Fun times. If that's what networking is like, then great, but I absolutely hate doing the wiring.

So I've been exposed to active directory and a bit of networking outside the classroom as well, but I still don't know what to do/which certs to get, hence why I'm asking you guys.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    what school do you go to?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    rgxrgx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mwaterloo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with Canada's licensing system, but I've only got the "G1" license.

I just got it, so I have to wait until next year before I can even try to get my G2.
    You could take a MTO approved driving course, it would allow you to take a G2 exam 4 months earlier. And keep in mind that many jobs could be in a remote industrial areas, where no public transportation available at all.