How do you practice on Packet tracer?

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can someone provide examples of what are good exercises to do on Packet tracer.
I'm building a simple two routers and two switches network but feel this is not an effective way to truly practice on simulators. This is for the ICDN1, thank you.

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what I do is make really big topologies combining everything I've learned. This may not work for you but it helps to reinforce everything I've learned. Then once you've got something working, break it and watch what happens using show and debug commands.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    what I do is make really big topologies combining everything I've learned. This may not work for you but it helps to reinforce everything I've learned. Then once you've got something working, break it and watch what happens using show and debug commands.

When you say "big" how many devices are you including? I'm not sure on how to build something large. What is the thought process/ planning behind it?

The biggest problem I have is the IP addressing part. Can you elaborate briefly on this part.

-edit- I just realized maybe I need some lab scenarios. Where can I get them?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can start with some of the labs on freeccnaworkbook.com. The labs won't translate perfectly to an environment with actual switches, but it's nothing that you shouldn't be able to work out. There's some free lab manuals in the CCNA FAQ sticky as well.

You'll have to match up the labs with the CCENT exam topics since all of these are geared towards the 640-802 rather than the 640-822/640-816 pair.
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Do you have access to CCNA Exploration through Cisco Academy? There are quite a few labs you can do on there, some of them can be challenging.
  • seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    There are some GNS3 & Packet Tracer labs / answers here for the ICND1.

ICND1 Practice Labs www.networking-forum.com/blog
    Eildor wrote: »
    Do you have access to CCNA Exploration through Cisco Academy? There are quite a few labs you can do on there, some of them can be challenging.

You can only have access if you are currently enrolled in a class or can I register on Cisco's web site?
    seekrit wrote: »

Thank you! Do you know what version of Packet tracer will run the labs? I'm running V5 and it's not compatible with the labs.
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can only have access if you are currently enrolled in a class or can I register on Cisco's web site?

AFAIK Packet tracer with the Exploration 4.0 curriculum isn't available legally to non-cisco netacad students
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    seekrit wrote: »

Thanks for the linkicon_thumright.gif
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□

--

Thank you! Do you know what version of Packet tracer will run the labs? I'm running V5 and it's not compatible with the labs.
    And how did you legally obtain Packet Tracer? It's a part of the Netacad program.

EDIT: Whoops tomaifauchai said it before me, didn't read down far enough
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recommend CBT Nuggets CCNA series with Jeremy Cioara or TrainSignals with Chris Bryant. Pretty much everything they were able to do in their videos I was able to do with Packet Tracer.
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    AD227529 wrote: »
    I recommend CBT Nuggets CCNA series with Jeremy Cioara or TrainSignals with Chris Bryant. Pretty much everything they were able to do in their videos I was able to do with Packet Tracer.

Paying $300+ for those videos, while a convenient learning method, is a big waste of money at the entry level. For the TrainSignal in particular, it's much cheaper (and better IMO) to just buy Chris's "thebryantadvantage" for $25. Quite frankly, the ebook is the video series in text. In fact, many sections are verbatim. It's a very easy read and includes materials not only for CCENT, but CCNA/:SEC.
  • SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not check out some free videos before spending any money?

YouTube - Packet Tracer Video Tutorial, playlist
  • seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103

Those labs were created in 5.3.1
  • kurferkurfer Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are free CCNA lab manuals available over at MODERATED it's a new site and new content is being added every few days.
  • sKGPsKGP Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey i'm on the same boat as you preparing for my ICND1 . so is this packet tracer enough for ccna path coz i'm not in a condition of purchasing equipsicon_redface.gif . I was doing the lab other day on packet tracer and i was not able to config ssh authentication on the switches . so i wanted to ask u guys do i need to be worried about facts like these coz i really don't know how the exam is gonna be [ MY first in cisco track :D ] so are their any more features which cannot be done on PC ?

thanks
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kurfer wrote: »
    There are free CCNA lab manuals available over at
    MODERATED it's a new site and new content is being added every few days.
    The ad for a LAB **** on their site isn't reassuring.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kurferkurfer Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The ad for a LAB **** on their site isn't reassuring.

It's one of the growing pains of google adsense, every site that runs it has to fight filters and one slips through. Since adsense is pretty much the only ad on the site one would hope to give the benefit of the doubt.

This is my site FYI, and we do try to filter "braindump" sites. If you want more information on the topic you can check several threads on the internet and know that this isn't easy for someone to do.

http://www.google.com/search?q=google+adsense+braindump&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

Also,

As someone who has taught legitimate CCNA/CCNP classes for years it's fairly offensive to be blatently labeled as a provider of braindumps considering it's been the bane of my career and literly hurts the very industry I aim to better.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kurfer wrote: »
    As someone who has taught legitimate CCNA/CCNP classes for years it's fairly offensive to be blatently labeled as a provider of braindumps considering it's been the bane of my career and literly hurts the very industry I aim to better.

I don't think mike was labeling you as anything. He just wasn't digging the ad. You have to admit, if you go to a site for the very first time and see ads for something questionable, it makes you wonder. First impressions do matter.