Options

What the difference?

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
Amazon.com: CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide (Exam 640-553) (9781587202209): Michael Watkins, Kevin Wallace: Books

Or:

Amazon.com: Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) (978158705815icon_cool.gif: Catherine Paquet: Books

Which one is best for CCNA: Security 640-553 (WGU Class)?

I bought the second but now I see the COS at WGU calls for the first. Is there any difference? Ugg way too many books on Cisco!
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard most people choose the second book for the CCNA:Sec. I personally chose it because some of the material overlaps with some of the material from one of the newer CCSP/CCNP Security exams. I find her writing easy to follow so I honestly think you made the right choice.

2 for 1; can't beat that :)
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    In my opinion you made the right choice. I recently reads Watkins & Wallaces book and really didn't care for it. It felt lacking in a lot of ways. The documented configuration examples in most of the text were left hard to follow. I was just confused at times why some of the commands were even in the examples, some of the syntax wasn't even explained. The book digs pretty deep into the foundational topics and gets an A+ for section III covering Cryptography and IPsec, but just about everything else felt lacking..

I'm picking up Paquet's book in hopes of filling the void..
  • Options
    Thanks! Starting my journey into Cisco real soon so I'm getting prepared. Going to start building a lab next month. Goal for the year is CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice and CCNA Wireless. Need to keep myself busy.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    That's a mighty big list for only 8 months.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□

You made the right choice. I used Catherine Paquet's book to pass my CCNA Security. There's a lot of info in the book that will help you pass the CCNA:S. I also have the Michael Watkins book which I got for free. I browsed through the book for like 2 minutes and put it down, never to look at it again.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The only problem with Paquets book is that it doesnt come with a cd with sample test questions or an ebook, otherwise it is a great book.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    The only problem with Paquets book is that it doesnt come with a cd with sample test questions or an ebook, otherwise it is a great book.

+1

Hopefully they will include a DVD on the next release.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Well I don't like Ebooks, call me crazy. I just can't stand not having that feeling that I read something. With a paper book I can see that I got somewhere, feel it, etc. EBook gives no feedback except a page number.

I also got this:

Amazon.com: CCNA Security Lab Manual (9781587132490): Cisco Networking Academy: Books

Any advice on it?
  • Options

I have that one too, it's a hard to explain. It's a workbook, not like normal text. I wish it was bound differently, with tabs.. If you've gone through the CCNA Exploration or Discovery then you'll notice it's just like a bunch of the end of chapter Lab exercises and chapter Skill based exams.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I don't like Ebooks, call me crazy. I just can't stand not having that feeling that I read something. With a paper book I can see that I got somewhere, feel it, etc. EBook gives no feedback except a page number.

I also got this:

Amazon.com: CCNA Security Lab Manual (9781587132490): Cisco Networking Academy: Books

Any advice on it?

More importantly, it is missing a practice exam. I don't like ebooks either but practice exams are great.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've heard most people choose the second book for the CCNA:Sec. I personally chose it because some of the material overlaps with some of the material from one of the newer CCSP/CCNP Security exams. I find her writing easy to follow so I honestly think you made the right choice.

2 for 1; can't beat that :)

Doh!

I was trying to decide this same thing last night and chose the Watkins book because it was like all the other Cisco official exam guide books I had used previously. I'm only two chapters in so it's not too hard to get the other one and it looks like that one has the TE Seal of Approval ®.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I bought the watkins book too and then read here everyone likes the other one better. Ah well. I own the book now I'm gonna read it. I am happy it came with the practice tests. I find them very useful in letting me know how much of the material I've retained/learned.

D