Options

CompTIA or Microsoft?

kvermillion1kvermillion1 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I just noticed today that Microsoft now offers very similar certifications for Network, Security, and Server (98-365/366/367) to CompTIA's Net+, Sec+, and Server+....and are at least half the price of each. I also noticed their MCSDT is very similar to CompTIA A+, 2 exams, half the price, but covers MS a little more specifically.

What is recommended in this day and age? I already have the comptia net+ and sec+, and was looking at the A+ next, but it seems to me for most helpdesk jobs you need to be well versed in a particular MS OS anyways, so what is the benefit, if any of getting another CompTIA cert at this point, versus going the MS certification route? Please help. I can get the MCDST for about $250 vs. A+ for over $500.....
:study: Certified: CompTIA Network+, Security+
Up Next: CCNA, MCITP: SA(70-640,70-642,70-646)

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You have your Net+ and Sec+, I wouldn't bother with A+. If you want Microsoft certs and are interested in desktop support, you should work towards MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7.

You would start with Microsoft exam 70-680, then do 70-685. Two exams and you are an MCITP.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    kvermillion1kvermillion1 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well i wouldnt say im "interested" in desktop support, but I think for me since I just graduated, help desk/desktop support is going to be my entry point into an IT career...do you agree?
    :study: Certified: CompTIA Network+, Security+
    Up Next: CCNA, MCITP: SA(70-640,70-642,70-646)
  • Options
    Not necessarily. I'm graduating this May and I probably won't be doing help desk. icon_lol.gif I've gotten calls from 5 or 6 recruiters. Only one of them mentioned desktop support and it was for a Windows XP to Windows 7 migration. None of them mentioned help desk. I understand you have to take what offers come your way, but you should get a certification for one of these two reasons:

A) You're interested in the technology
    B) You have a job working with a certain technology and want to improve/certify your knowledge.

You have a choice, and many entry level desktop support types have zero certifications. Pursuing a certification solely to increase your marketability using a technology you find boring just sounds depressing. You already have an edge!

What are you interested in? Do what you love.
  • Options
    SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I just noticed today that Microsoft now offers very similar certifications for Network, Security, and Server (98-365/366/367) to CompTIA's Net+, Sec+, and Server+....and are at least half the price of each. I also noticed their MCSDT is very similar to CompTIA A+, 2 exams, half the price, but covers MS a little more specifically.

What is recommended in this day and age? I already have the comptia net+ and sec+, and was looking at the A+ next, but it seems to me for most helpdesk jobs you need to be well versed in a particular MS OS anyways, so what is the benefit, if any of getting another CompTIA cert at this point, versus going the MS certification route? Please help. I can get the MCDST for about $250 vs. A+ for over $500.....

On top of that, CompTIA exams are no longer valid for life. But guess what? MS certifications don't expire... so go for it. I would personally like to see us punish CompTIA for their crappy change in policy.
  • Options
    SneakDogg wrote: »
    On top of that, CompTIA exams are no longer valid for life. But guess what? MS certifications don't expire... so go for it. I would personally like to see us punish CompTIA for their crappy change in policy.

I think Linux+ is still worth it. That's like getting two certifications for the price of one (Linux+ and LPI). And he's right - Microsoft certifications last for the lifetime of the product.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I think Linux+ is still worth it. That's like getting two certifications for the price of one (Linux+ and LPI). And he's right - Microsoft certifications last for the lifetime of the product.

3 certs :)

I think you still get to claim Novell CLA.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    MS over comptia. Comptia expires every 3 years, costs alot more, and isnt technology specific - which is a negative imho. I did the A+ and N+ when they were lifetime, and i did it because i thought it was cost beneficial to pay a little more and get it forever...since that's not true anymore, they wont be getting any more of my money unless an employer requires it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The three Comptia certs I like are the Linux +. 3 certs for 2 test. And none of those certs don't expire.

I also like Security +, for the fact it can be used to leverage your way into a federal contract or even a GS employee.

Project + is a nice one too.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    brad- wrote: »
    MS over comptia. Comptia expires every 3 years, costs alot more, and isnt technology specific - which is a negative imho. I did the A+ and N+ when they were lifetime, and i did it because i thought it was cost beneficial to pay a little more and get it forever...since that's not true anymore, they wont be getting any more of my money unless an employer requires it.

+1 I agree..

Someone on the Tech exam forums once said “The A+ shows that you can touch a computer..” I totally agree, with this statement. Also, I think this same statement could be said for the Security+ and Network+ too. You know the basics of networking and security.
    I say go after the Windows 7 70-680 exam to make yourself more marketable. Also, I would like to add while looking for jobs try to volunteer using your IT skills, and put your volunteer experience on your resume. Good Luck. At least this is what I'm doing.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options

A+ is recognized by a lot of companies so I would give it a slight edge over MCDST, not by a lot though. I've seen engineering jobs that ask for the A+ along with MCSE, CCNA, ETC. I personally think the A+ has a lot of pull with it. It's been around since 96 I believe. I still think there is value in A+. To be completely honest the only two comptia certifications that have value to employers on a regular basis, are A+ and security +.

Security + is another one that is more recognized than the MS security certifications I would (assume).

Server + vs MS server not even close or even compared to Linux server certifications.

I don't think it would be a bad move to get A+. It cost quite a bit for a low level certification on the downside. However you should be able to cruise through the material quickly, so you shouldn't waste to much time.

It's all up to you.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I'm graduating this May and I probably won't be doing help desk. icon_lol.gif I've gotten calls from 5 or 6 recruiters. Only one of them mentioned desktop support and it was for a Windows XP to Windows 7 migration. None of them mentioned help desk. I understand you have to take what offers come your way, but you should get a certification for one of these two reasons:

A) You're interested in the technology
    B) You have a job working with a certain technology and want to improve/certify your knowledge.

You have a choice, and many entry level desktop support types have zero certifications. Pursuing a certification solely to increase your marketability using a technology you find boring just sounds depressing. You already have an edge!

What are you interested in? Do what you love.

C) Your employer requires you to get this certification for any multitude of reasons.

(Which I know B touches on, but I just went through this 2 weeks ago)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Those MS certs the OP mentioned in the original post are entry level. He already has entry level certs. Get your feet wet and go for one of the Windows 7 MCITPs.
    By the way, the Microsoft MCITPs expire (sort of) as they are considered inactive when the particular product is no longer supported. As far as getting the MCDST I don't think the OP has time remaining to get those done before MS rtires the exam.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.