Ultimate Comptia 06 Resource Kit usefulness?

DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
Hey guys Im still having problems gettting my check so Im still broke. My friend actually had this old Kit laying around his house and gave it to me. I realize that its for the 601/602 exams but would any info in these books still be relevant? If so what? If I can get any thing useful out of it that would be great because I could just study that stuff now until I can afford my books for the 701/702 stuff.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hey guys Im still having problems gettting my check so Im still broke. My friend actually had this old Kit laying around his house and gave it to me. I realize that its for the 601/602 exams but would any info in these books still be relevant? If so what? If I can get any thing useful out of it that would be great because I could just study that stuff now until I can afford my books for the 701/702 stuff.

It depends.

What type of 'kit'? Many of the CBT products are non-trasnferable, free or not. So, depsite the generousity of your friend, he really could not give, gift or loan it to you.

That aside, there should be no reason you are worrying about using older materials to prepare such as if you have a text like Meyers. Download the objectives from CompTIA compare the topics covered in the material you are using and research the newer topics added to the objectives.

Just be sure to use legal copies and there should be no issue.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    this is the kit he gave me
    Amazon.com: The Ultimate CompTIA A+ 2006 Resource Kit (9781598633962): Jean (Jean Andrews) Andrews: Books

It was brand new in box never used never opened. Its 1 book, 1 cd, and a set of flash cards.
    I was just worried that there may be things in it that are no longer relevant to the 701 or 702 test.
    Also i just started watching professor messers videos. good stuff.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    this is the kit he gave me
    Amazon.com: The Ultimate CompTIA A+ 2006 Resource Kit (9781598633962): Jean (Jean Andrews) Andrews: Books

It was brand new in box never used never opened. Its 1 book, 1 cd, and a set of flash cards.
    I was just worried that there may be things in it that are no longer relevant to the 701 or 702 test.
    Also i just started watching professor messers videos. good stuff.

If you are new to IT, than keep the focus on 'learning' and not so much about worrying about an exam (or exams in the case of A+).

I would hope your goal after your exams is a job that taxes your skills, so learning 'old' technology, which frankly isn't old and in my experience (and that is a long time) is very much a part of the computers in use today.

To put it simply, you won't be learning things you 'don't need'.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    Im not exactly new to IT. I have previous experience working in a LAN center. Swapping hardware, building computers and really my friends and I are hobbyist.
    I didn't mean to given the impression that I don't think I'll ever run into older technology because i know it exists. If i sounded at all condescending or something like that I apologize.
    My concern was more like how much will this particular kit prepare me for the current 701 702 exam.
    For example
    You wouldnt use a book from 2000 or 2003 book to take the current test. The information it those book would still be valuable but you probably wouldnt pass that test right?
    And that was my concern.