Cisco SDM

cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering how important SDM is on the CCNA exam. From using i feel command line will give me more satisfaction and I will feel more control over my configuration, however I wanted to know to what degree should I study and understand SDM ?

Comments

• tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cisco_kidd wrote: »
    I was wondering how important SDM is on the CCNA exam.

Useless for the exam, good to know how it works.
    Can be useful for certain tasks like locking a device, which send a bunch of command you probably wouldn't think of icon_smile.gif
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Despite the number of people online who insist it is no longer on the exams, it is still listed in the exam objectives. And it would be foolish to walk into the exam without knowing every exam topic inside and out.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/ccna_exam?view=overview
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    I don't even see the need to practice anything with the SDM. You can figure it out easily by poking around. Everything is right in front of you.
  • gonXgonX Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SDM will atleast be good to setup and play around with our 1841 routers came with the ipbase ios and no sdm files in flash. I downloaded sdm from cisco's site and used this guide to set it.

Downloading and Installing Cisco Router and Security Device Manager [Cisco Router and Security Device Manager] - Cisco Systems
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It wasn't one of the questions I faced on the exam, but as Alan said, it'd be foolish not to know a bit about it before going in.
    The CLI is far more important for the 802 and ultimately you'll need to understand the different commands for your later exams.

When out in the real world, the SDM is nice and handy. You can also see the commands that will be sent to the device which is great for your own reference and doublechecking settings.
  • seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Don't bother learning how to do anything in the SDM for the CCNA. You can poke around, and play with DHCP and NAT, but besides that it's not covered. If you continue on into the CCNA/CCNP Security tracks after you'll get all the SDM and ASDM you can handle.

Side thought. Why couldn't have they made the SDM as intuitive and nice looking as ASDM v6? Not fair..
  • Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm doing CCNA 4 @ a Netacad...so important that Cisco want's the college to buy the progran and the college refused on principle. The college and instructors do not feel it's important....