CCNA/CCNP Lab equipment recommendation

mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
Hi All,
can you please recommend switches and routers combination?

Thank you

Mikesz
Long term plan:
2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do a search through the forum and read through the sticky. This question has been answered numerous times. If you have any specific questions after that I'm sure someone will be willing to help out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not to brag, but my 2 page topic on the matter pretty much ended up answering the question for myself and went beyond the scope of just building it.

Search function my good friend.
    :twisted:
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    mikesz wrote: »
    Hi All,
    can you please recommend switches and routers combination?

Thank you

Mikesz

I started with 3 2610xm routers and 2 2950 switches. That has gotten me through ccent, and i suspect will get me through ccna. what you need to consider is what kind of connection your routers will have to each other. I used WIC-1T's and a NM-AS/4.

You also need to be able to run IOS 12.4 on at least 1 router to use the SDM.

That worked for me, but look around at what others suggest. GL.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    I started with 3 2610xm routers and 2 2950 switches. That has gotten me through ccent, and i suspect will get me through ccna. what you need to consider is what kind of connection your routers will have to each other. I used WIC-1T's and a NM-AS/4.

You also need to be able to run IOS 12.4 on at least 1 router to use the SDM.

That worked for me, but look around at what others suggest. GL.

Or, listen to this guy.

I'd recommend investing in a third 3550-emi or 3560 after CCNA, and perhaps a third 2950 switch.

After that, look into GNS3 for router EMULATION and get some of those 1k+ routers loaded up via emulated IOS and interconnect your home lab with the virtualized one.

When you find that near-arousing, you know networking is for you.
    :twisted:
  • mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
    Guys, is this a good deal: Cisco Lab CCNA CCNP ( 2950 2620XM 2924 Router Switch ) | eBay UK - ideally I would like to add another 2950, so I can properly lab RSTP.

Thanks
    Long term plan:
    2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
    2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
    2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP