Textpad - Search entire doc regardless of cursor placement?

Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is there a way to make Textpad search an entire document, instead of just searching down the doc from my current cursor location? I'm getting really annoyed by having to click back to the top for every search. Thanks!

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pratt2 wrote: »
    Is there a way to make Textpad search an entire document, instead of just searching down the doc from my current cursor location? I'm getting really annoyed by having to click back to the top for every search. Thanks!

Pratt, have you tried using Notepad++? Really good text editor and plus it does exactly what you are asking of Textpad. I'm using it for my Javascript class, so you get your text with line numbers. Plus, I opened up a document and placed my cursor at the end of the document, searched for a common word, and it went to the first word at the top of the document. Also, for the price, you really can't beat it. (Free... :D )
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Notepad++ is excellent.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Pratt, have you tried using Notepad++? Really good text editor and plus it does exactly what you are asking of Textpad. I'm using it for my Javascript class, so you get your text with line numbers. Plus, I opened up a document and placed my cursor at the end of the document, searched for a common word, and it went to the first word at the top of the document. Also, for the price, you really can't beat it. (Free... :D )

I use a combination of Notepad2 and Notepad++. Notepad++ I use for any heavy lifting. Notepad2, much more robust than regular Notepad but not quite as good as Notepad++ has a handy feature of allowing you to replace Notepad with it completely. So that anything (app, script,whatever) that call notepad actually ends up calling notepad2. That's pretty nice as well.
  • terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use a combination of Notepad2 and Notepad++. Notepad++ I use for any heavy lifting. Notepad2, much more robust than regular Notepad but not quite as good as Notepad++ has a handy feature of allowing you to replace Notepad with it completely. So that anything (app, script,whatever) that call notepad actually ends up calling notepad2. That's pretty nice as well.

I do the exact same, Notepad2 is perfect for replacing notepad since I find it a little quicker than Notepad++.
  • Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys. The kicker is that this is for work where there are a number of people doing similar work to what I do and we're all expected to use the same programs. Unfortunately, Textpad is "what we use" so I'm stuck with it. From the replies it looks like I'll be clicking my way to the top forever icon_sad.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pratt, this was the best I could do for you (maybe you've already seen this):

http://johnbokma.com/textpad/textpad-reference.pdf

Your might want to try Ctrl-S-F to find the previous search term. That's probably the better alternative.