Options

Another cert bites the dust

mojomuchmojomojomuchmojo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed CCNA today with 933 after failing on Wednesday with 841. The only studying I did between the two tests was to "memorize" the outputs from OSPF and EIGRP "Show ip " statements.

First test had 3 simulations, second had only one, but check out my score breakdowns :

1st test :

Planning & Design 100%
Implementation & Operation 93%
Troubleshooting 59%
Technology 67%

2nd test :

Planning & Design 67%
Implementation & Operation 93%
Troubleshooting 94%
Technology 100%

Those aren't misprints - I must be bipolar or something!

Anyway, I'm glad this is done. I've not studied this much for a test since, well .... never. I breezed through the Network + with an 860 with 3 weeks preparation, for CCNA I've been studying for MONTHS. I don't do this (or anything close to this) for a living so that definitely hurt me.

I used Richard Deals/Boson CCNA and Lammles' Fast pass (ended up buying the full version Boson just so I could set up my own labs). I would recommend all of these but the practice exams/ simulations/ end of chapter questions are pretty much useless. Nothing I looked at prepared me to have my knowledge tested like the actual test did. I wouldn't recommend memorizing factoids, but spend time really understanding how internetworking works. Lammle has a great section in the Fast Pass book which describes a ping action - there are over 30 steps involved. This is the level of detail the test requires. Again, not memorizing standards, but knowing how to apply the rules of the internet.

From the first question, they are out to trick you. There is always one "obvious" answer but its only correct about 60% of the time.

Oh man, I'm gonna go have a beer now.

Comments

• Options
    LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Enjoy your beer, you deserve it. Congratulations.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    mojomuchmojomojomuchmojo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've had "a beer" and now I want to throw something else out here that I've never seen discussed.

On my first test, I had a survey before the exam started. I answered honestly and it took about 20 minutes to complete.

On the second test, I answered "A" for everything to get through it quickly, which meant that I answered that I was enrolled into a "cisco learning academy" (which I am not).

I just entered nonsense when they asked for the registration number, and the program took it.

The fact is that I scored almost 100 points higher in the second test, 72 hours after the first test, without any additional study.

Granted, it was a totally different test (only 2 questions repeated) but, in my opinion, it was somewhat easier (1 simulation versus 3 on the first test, and at least 4 of those easy "drag and drop" questions versus only one on the first test).

Do you think the "survey" favors Cisco Academy students? I don't know how prometrics (or provues) software works exactly, but what if it doesn't download the test until AFTER the survey is complete?

This is a topic worthy of discussion, no?
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    First, congrats on your pass! icon_thumright.gif

Second, being an Academy Alumni, I can tell you that it didn't help me when I tested the first time. I too felt that the exam was easier the second time around. But it's probably because I knew what to expect, and was more relaxed.