SCSA (Sun Certified Solaris Administrator)

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dear all,

what do you think of this certification ?

I have been working with Solaris for almost three years (although I like Linux better icon_wink.gif) so I'm thinking about tackling it as I've seen quite a bunch of job ads which are looking for Linux AND Solaris.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Lordy
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    If you have previous knowledge, I'd say gor for it. There are plenty of Unix jobs out there for those WITH experience. Sun doesn't have a huge share of the server market, but a lot of the companies that use Solaris, will stay with it for it's overall stability and security. I went for SCSA, but failed the first exam; twice...first time by .46%, second time by 1.03%...after that, I stopped working on it due to frustration, and the fact my M$ classes were about to start. I still have the Solaris9 book, and crapload of notes...I look at them from time to time, still don't really understand it the way I should....Oh well...Anyway (sorry for the mini-rant).....Yeah, I'd go for it....Good Luck!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    a few general question about Solaris:

it's not open source correct?
    can you download it for free to try it?
    does it as any similarity to Linux such as similar commands and file storing location?
    how many exam are there for Solaris?
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hc2ab wrote:
    a few general question about Solaris:

it's not open source correct?
    No. (At least not yet)
    can you download it for free to try it?
    Yes. Go to SUN.com and get a free download.
    does it as any similarity to Linux such as similar commands and file storing location?
    As both of them are POSIX there are quite a few similarities. You should however notice that things like disk management run completely different on Solaris.
    how many exam are there for Solaris?
    4 overall
    2 for System Administrator (310-014, 310-015, both required)
    1 for Network Administrator (310-044, requires SysAdmin)
    1 for Security Administrator (unknown)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP