Options

Taking SY0-201 or 301?

kryptos80kryptos80 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I want to take the Security+ exam in about a month. But I know the new SY0-301 exam is supposed to be available in May 2011. I want to take this new exam but there are no books/study material available right now so it would be all Internet research.

I've been in net engineering for about 6 years and I'm pretty good with security stuff. half of this would be review but half would be new material.

and now i know that CompTIA exams are only good for 3 years.

What would you do in my shoes? Would you go for it and take the new exam? would you try and take the old, outdated one? (no i do NOT like **** so no easy way for me) Is it even worth taking either exam?

Thanks dudes and dudettes!

Comments

• Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The new ones would be my bet ....

I would suggest you that take the 301 instead of the 201 ....
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You said that you cannot find materials for the SYO-301. How can you prepare for a test without materials being available?

You said that the SYO-301 is supposedly available in May (No guarantees here.)

I can say that you should be able to sit the exam (given your experience), if you complete the book, then schedule the exam three days out from that, giving yourself a couple days to go over the practice questions that come with the book.
    What would you do in my shoes? Would you go for it and take the new exam? would you try and take the old, outdated one? (no i do NOT like **** so no easy way for me)

I would take the SYO-201. It has proven materials to study available.
    Is it even worth taking either exam?

I would advise reading this article. Security+ is a great cert to have, if you want to advertise yourself to DOD jobs. http://www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray/it-certifications-and-dod-directive-8570-01-m/

In particular, read this Document: http://iase.disa.mil/policy-guidance/8570_faq_6_12_09.doc
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    kryptos80kryptos80 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you both for your input.

Instant, I really appreciate the links you provided. Yes it would be difficult to study for an exam without books/videos, but they give you the exam topics on the CompTia site so I could do my own research.

However, since I'd rather pass sooner than later, I don't know if the 301 will be available to schedule anytime soon.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I would take a the 201. You wont have to retake the 301 for your recertification as long as you stay current with your CPEs.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw it on youtube today, you guys should go check it out.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!