Options

Last 6 Credits- Burnt out.

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm working 40-50 hours a week, and have 2 hours and 1.5 hours of commute for 3 out of my 5 work days a week to go to a lecture and project based class.

The content is rudementary and simple.

The people are a mix of Highschool kids (Just graduated) and much older people.

The professor drones on and the material bores me.

icon_sad.gif

Overall, what can I do to power through this last quarter and get my Associates before heading off to 4 year univ or WGU?
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Patience my friend, patience... icon_lol.gif I was in the exact same place a couple of years ago. It will be worth it.

Oh! Sometimes bringing your laptop to class and surfing TE helps soothe the pain of a boring class!!! Just saying... ;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    darkerz wrote: »
    what can I do to power through this last quarter and get my Associates before heading off to 4 year univ or WGU?
    Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel (and hope it's not an oncoming train icon_lol.gif).

And keep your eye on the prize.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My favorite saying form the military fits well here. Suck it up and drive on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i know its hard but just thing all the work will be worth it

you can do it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Make the most of whatever time you have away from class, e.g. party or watch movies on the weekend when possible.

Then, when you get to class, just realize it's a few more steps from done with that particular stepping stone. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Redbull, Four Loko, Maybe a 5-hour energy. I think crack keeps people awake, but then you have to kick the habit later on.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Redbull, Four Loko, Maybe a 5-hour energy. I think crack keeps people awake, but then you have to kick the habit later on.

I'm not sure if drinking a Four Loko before class is going to help him much.. if they still make them that is.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd just bring your laptop and surf this site. You're almost there.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pishof wrote: »
    I'm not sure if drinking a Four Loko before class is going to help him much.. if they still make them that is.

You can't even get them in Washington state now. They got banned after some high schoolers had a party and one girl got very sick.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Seriously, though. Look forward to what you get, because of this.

Don't think of where you are. Think of where you're going!

Remember that the race is not to the swift, but to he who endures to the end.

The Hare got burned out, but the Tortoise endured, and won the race.

Don't be like the Hare and try to take breaks now, keep pressing!
    Suck it up and drive on.

Quoted for truth!

Another one that I liked was "Hurry up and wait"
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like others have said, bring along something else to do. Surf the web on your laptop or phone, read, do a crossword puzzle, anything.

You will hate yourself down the road if you quit now. I know this first hand from when I tried going back to school the first time and didn't see it through.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the encouragement guys! You are right, I am too close to stop now. Having this degree will make me a first in the family (Second Generation immigrant), so I'm looking forward to it immensly.

I found that the 5 guys I am sitting with in my sub section are all going for their CCNA's or CCNP's and we all browse this and other forums.

It's making the class fun, because our instructor is sitting her CCIE R&S written soon.

This is the most awesome coincidence- ever.

Life is full of surprises! :D
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You didn't go that far to quit. I've said many times that companies don't want employees to have a degree so much for the knowledge gained but for the proof that they were able to see a long-term goal through to completion. A lot of people start college, but only a fraction finish.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    You didn't go that far to quit. I've said many times that companies don't want employees to have a degree so much for the knowledge gained but for the proof that they were able to see a long-term goal through to completion. A lot of people start college, but only a fraction finish.

I've noticed, 40% of my classmates/group from the start dropped out already because they got decent entry level full time work in IT and thought they were fine.

I'm going for the associates in network administration, then start WGU asap and focus hard on certs and degree. I talked to my bank (Tiny credit union) and they told me when they saw the price tag, I can get an amazing low interest loan for the entire degree at WGU up to 12k and start paying it back 12 months after completion.

Suffice to say, after I hit my low a few days ago posting this topic, things kept getting better and better.