Lab question

howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
Ok, my previous deal fell through. The price the seller offered me was retracted, as they made the mistake.

Anywho, I'm building a CCNA lab, and from what I've read, its a good start to build it around 3 routers and 3 switches.

I'm looking at getting at least 2 2600xm routers, and at least 1 2950 switch, prob a 2924, but what else should I add, 1 of each?

I'm not trying to break the bank. I have some older 2501 and 2514s at home, don't know if I could even use them, as well as a 2900 24 port switch, which is old as well.

Any ideas?

Comments

• darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will need 3 2950 switches, 2 2600xm or 1760 routers, and you can use the old 2514 as a backbone or spare router. The more the merrier.

Make sure to remember when it says 2620xm or 2610xm with 2 wic slots, it means it has 2 slots. That's it. a Wic-2T or Wic-1T or Wic-1 or 2 A/S is 20-30$ a pop from Ebay, you need these for your Serial WAN emulations between routers.
    :twisted:
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    darkerz wrote: »
    You will need 3 2950 switches, 2 2600xm or 1760 routers, and you can use the old 2514 as a backbone or spare router. The more the merrier.

Make sure to remember when it says 2620xm or 2610xm with 2 wic slots, it means it has 2 slots. That's it. a Wic-2T or Wic-1T or Wic-1 or 2 A/S is 20-30$ a pop from Ebay, you need these for your Serial WAN emulations between routers.

This is what I'm bidding on. Not good enough? I would be replacing one 2924 with a 2950.

1. Two Cisco 2620XM Series Routers having 32MB FLASH, 128MB DRAM, 1 FAST ETHERNET PORT and 2-SERIAL PORTS along with SDM Configured, IOS version 12.4

2. Two Cisco 2924 Switches WS-C2924-XL switches with 8MB memory, 24 fast ethernet ports (WS-C2924-XL-A, WS-C2924-XL-EN or WS-C2924M-XL-EN will be provided depending on availability in stock. All models are same with 24 fast ethernet ports and 8 MB memory)

Do I absolutely need 2 WICS per router, or is 1 good enough?

Just to confirm, if its a 2620 XM, does that automatically mean it has 2 WICS? and a 2610XM has 1? Or it should state that there definitely are WICS, regardless of the model.
  • huwwatkinshuwwatkins Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just to confirm, if its a 2620 XM, does that automatically mean it has 2 WICS? and a 2610XM has 1? Or it should state that there definitely are WICS, regardless of the model.

No - the 2620 just has a slightly faster cpu. Both have 2 wic slots, its up to the seller if there is anything in them. Keep an eye on the non buy it now auctions - you can somtimes pic up real bargains on wic 1t's. I've picked some up for under $10.
    huwwatkins wrote: »
    No - the 2620 just has a slightly faster cpu. Both have 2 wic slots, its up to the seller if there is anything in them. Keep an eye on the non buy it now auctions - you can somtimes pic up real bargains on wic 1t's. I've picked some up for under $10.

Thanks.

Everything I've read says that I should get 2600 routers, if not 26xx XM routers, especially if I eventually want to build my lab up for advanced studies. Would you agree?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks.

Everything I've read says that I should get 2600 routers, if not 26xx XM routers, especially if I eventually want to build my lab up for advanced studies. Would you agree?

No. For anything beyond the CCNA, you're going to want something that can run IOS 12.4 at least, and the 2600 won't cut it as it tops out at 12.3. You can also look at the 1721's and 1760's which are just as good as the 2600XM, but much cheaper.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    alan2308 wrote: »
    No. For anything beyond the CCNA, you're going to want something that can run IOS 12.4 at least, and the 2600 won't cut it as it tops out at 12.3. You can also look at the 1721's and 1760's which are just as good as the 2600XM, but much cheaper.
    There are a number of IpBase 12.4(*) releases that will run on the non-XM series 2600s. There are some Telco 12.4(*) versions as well.

If you have a 2620 or 2621 with the latest bootROM those routers will support 32MB Flash. This substantially increases the number of 12.4(*) releases available. Though not recommended for production use (insufficient DRAM capacity) they work fine in the limited demand environment of a Lab.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    If you don't feel like spending any money then why not use your 2500 series routers. Sure, they're old, but for CCNA will probably still have about 90% of the commands (assuming they're running at least 12.x). All you would need is some switches for the L2 stuff and a few serial cables.

For CCNA don't get caught up in the "you need this, you need that". People have gotten through CCNA with a $80 simulator. Now, if money isn't a thing then by all means.
    There are a number of IpBase 12.4(*) releases that will run on the non-XM series 2600s. There are some Telco 12.4(*) versions as well.

If you have a 2620 or 2621 with the latest bootROM those routers will support 32MB Flash. This substantially increases the number of 12.4(*) releases available. Though not recommended for production use (insufficient DRAM capacity) they work fine in the limited demand environment of a Lab.

But how useful are any of those images post-CCNA? I was under the impression that they're still lacking for Professional level certs.

And lacking the latest bootROM in the 2620, there's also the option to boot the image from tftp.

okplaya wrote: »
    If you don't feel like spending any money then why not use your 2500 series routers. Sure, they're old, but for CCNA will probably still have about 90% of the commands (assuming they're running at least 12.x). All you would need is some switches for the L2 stuff and a few serial cables.

The 2500's run 12.3, and can do everything but SDM and ROAS. I don't recommend buying them now, but if you already have them they'll get the job done for the CCNA.
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @howie: if you must buy from fati_zee, some of his equipment can be had for less. Ask him for an alternative setup of switches and routers like 3x 2620xm 128/32 with 2x wic1t and 1x nm-4a/s running 12.4, and 3x 2950c. The total price will be significantly lower than his auctions. Fati_zee can also include a 2509 with octal for $125. careful, he might offer to substitute a 2950sx for 2950, but insist on 2950c.
    But how useful are any of those images post-CCNA? I was under the impression that they're still lacking for Professional level certs.

And lacking the latest bootROM in the 2620, there's also the option to boot the image from tftp.

The 2500's run 12.3, and can do everything but SDM and ROAS. I don't recommend buying them now, but if you already have them they'll get the job done for the CCNA.

Even in VoIP lab environs, the 2600 series are useful as Branch routers. they may serve as gatekeepers and MGCP gateways and handle inter-VLAN routing, BGP, ospf, hsrp. All things tested at the professional and expert levels. The important thing is to have one or two devices capable of handling the most recent IOS releases. All the other devices, EOS/EOL, are for generating network noise, they are add density to the topology. As long as they are capable of handling the current standard protocols, they will work fine. I think people lose sight of this fact and get caught up in theneed for the latest and greatest in every device in their lab!

My earlier post had more to do with using just the 2500s which as routers are insufficient.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
    okplaya wrote: »

For CCNA don't get caught up in the "you need this, you need that". People have gotten through CCNA with a $80 simulator. Now, if money isn't a thing then by all means.

I'll have to check the IOS of my current stuff. I haven't used them in about two years, so I have no clue what's on there. I would love to save my money for a voice kit, as that's one of two directions I'm leaning. I just want to knock out my CCNA.

Thanks, I'll take a look tonight and see what I have as far as the IOS.
    518 wrote: »
    @howie: if you must buy from fati_zee, some of his equipment can be had for less. Ask him for an alternative setup of switches and routers like 3x 2620xm 128/32 with 2x wic1t and 1x nm-4a/s running 12.4, and 3x 2950c. The total price will be significantly lower than his auctions. Fati_zee can also include a 2509 with octal for $125. careful, he might offer to substitute a 2950sx for 2950, but insist on 2950c.

Thanks! I'm open to buy from anyone, just trying to get good value. There prices seems to be cheaper than some, as some of the higher sellers offer a bunch of fluff that I already have. Plus, their shipping is significantly cheaper.
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    I would love to save my money for a voice kit

Have you looked at the Sticky on the CCNA Voice board? It is older, but he sets it up with the mind set of passing CCNA voice and having some of the gear (mostly the cards) be usable on the pro level voice certs. He uses the 1760 which will work for CCNA and give you some options if you go CCNA V. They are also cheap. Just make sure if you get one on ebay you get one that has 32 flash. If they have pictures you will see a black box with 32 in it just above the Ethernet port. You can get them cheap here is a link to a guy that has 3 at 24.99 each. Even if you have to spend some money upgrading ram you would have something that would work for CCNA, probably CCNA V and some people use them for branch work above that. If you think you might go voice you need to be looking at the lab sticky on the voice boards..

CISCO 1700 1760 ROUTER | eBay

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-voice/49420-ccna-voice-lab-home.html

From the link above
    CME Router A
    acts as the CME voice gateway
    should be able to take VIC cards natively, or via a NM voice module
    needs FXO, FXS ports (CCNA-V), analogue phone(s) [handsfree makes it easier], DSP’s [type depending on router model]
    optional Unity Express (CCNA-V), can get by without it
    optional E1/T1 (CCNA-V, CCVP), can get by without it
    would suggest a 1751/1760 or later hardware platform (CCNA-V) with minimum IOS feature set of ipvoice, as these support VICs natively, can be reused as branch site routers (CCVP)
    would suggest IOS 12.4T or later
    would suggest CME 4.1 or later
    I used a 1760 with adventerprisek9 IOS 12.4T, CME 4.1, WIC-2T, VIC2-4FXO, VIC-4FXS/DID, VWIC-1MFT-E1, PVDM-256K-20

I am a n00b so please do your own research to confirm or dispute what I have said :)
    Even in VoIP lab environs, the 2600 series are useful as Branch routers. they may serve as gatekeepers and MGCP gateways and handle inter-VLAN routing, BGP, ospf, hsrp. All things tested at the professional and expert levels. The important thing is to have one or two devices capable of handling the most recent IOS releases. All the other devices, EOS/EOL, are for generating network noise, they are add density to the topology. As long as they are capable of handling the current standard protocols, they will work fine. I think people lose sight of this fact and get caught up in theneed for the latest and greatest in every device in their lab!

My earlier post had more to do with using just the 2500s which as routers are insufficient.

Thanks for this. I was just wondering how much life my 2600's still have in them since they're the best I have right now. I think my 1602 routers and 2900XL switches will attest to the fact I don't worry about having the latest/greatest everything. icon_mrgreen.gif

My original point though was not that everyone should be buying all 2600XM's. It's just hard to recommend anyone buy non-XM 2600's now when 1721's and 1760's can be had for the same price.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for this. I was just wondering how much life my 2600's still have in them since they're the best I have right now. I think my 1602 routers and 2900XL switches will attest to the fact I don't worry about having the latest/greatest everything. icon_mrgreen.gif

My original point though was not that everyone should be buying all 2600XM's. It's just hard to recommend anyone buy non-XM 2600's now when 1721's and 1760's can be had for the same price.

I just scooped up 2 1760's on ebay for 50$ a pop with mem and IOS at 12.4 standards, free shipping.

I'm glad I waited on thise 85-90$ a pop 2610xm's. I hope these will take me through to CCNP.

Should I get at least one XM series router, tho?
    :twisted:

Both the 1721 and 1760 have module limitations and the 1721 is a desktop unit (non rackmountable.) I have a couple of 1760s, one used to connect to my ISP running VoIP in my home/office. they are slow booting beasts!

The 2600 series (XM or non XM) are good because of the varied NM-* modules they support. I normally use a 2610 with an NM-4A/S as a Frame Relay Switch when I set up a Lab Kit and they can serve a dual purpose in the lab. I have also used the 2610 as an access server with an NM-16A. (I put lab kits together for sale 3 to 5 times a year and populate the kits so they make a good base lab when moving from CCNA to the pro level certs.)

I have used the 2620s and 2621s as VoIP routers, both in my lab and as my backbone router with no problem. I also have a few local small business customers (directly serviced) and several nationally know corporations (3rd party service contracts) who still use the non XM 2600 series. Just because Cisco has declared them EOS/EOL does not mean they have reached EOU (End Of Usefulness) unlike the 1600/2500 series.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    I just scooped up 2 1760's on ebay for 50$ a pop with mem and IOS at 12.4 standards, free shipping.

I'm glad I waited on thise 85-90$ a pop 2610xm's. I hope these will take me through to CCNP.

only if nothing else you have supports SDM. you need at least 1 router that supports SDM to lab with, because it's an exam topic ..and from what I hear, that's, SDM, going away with the new tests in favor of their, Cisco's, new software that does what SDM does... still any experience with SDM is needed for R/W because it's out there....

If you have a router with the memory and flash requirements that will support SDM, then why by a pricey router? Usually the XM series has more memory and flash and supports a wider range of modules [and more current IOS that takes lots of memory and flash]...

just my 2 cents. I'm still a noob, really green noob, so research...
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187

Advice from a n00b incoming.. Stop buying gear you will need on down the road unless it is a great deal. Focus on what you need now not what you will need in 4 months. Keep your eye on the future, but focus on the now!

I have 4 1760s (they will do SDM by the way) 3 2620xm and just bought a 2610xm last night because the buy it now price was $49.99. Don't ask about my switches, access server, frame relay server, cards, phones, ect ect.. Yea, I have an eBay problem icon_rolleyes.gif

Point is don't let it get in your way! Now all of the above has been an amazing experience, upgrading memory, flash, boot rom, IOSs, and learning about the gear and it has been fun icon_cheers.gif. However, it has got in the way of me studying for CCENT/CCNA from time to time.

From what I see one router and switch gets you through CCENT. Two routers and one or two switches gets you through CCNA. More may help.. Then depending on which direction you go gear will become a a big issue! (like if you go voice)

Now I need to go study ;)