Options

Next certifications to take. Comments wanted :-)

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dear all,

after passing LPIC-2 and CCNA I am now thinking about which certs to go for next.

Here is a little background on me: I'm turning 25 next month and have worked in IT since I was 19 so I have ~5 years of real world experience. I have never been to a university as I started working immediately after finishing my 12th year in school (you could probably compare this to a high school degree but I'm living in .DE). During the last years I mostly did system administration (focused on Linux and Solaris, a little Windows too) and some network administration (mainly switches and LANs, some dial-up and VPN).

As I'm now looking for a new job I want to pimp my resume a little icon_wink.gif

My plan currently looks something like this: Go for SCSA-9 (Sun Solaris Admin) to get my Solaris knowledge certified. After that I would like to try 70-270 to become a MCP (the free 2nd shot motivated me for this). Then I would like to take Security+ as it's both a nice standalone cert and counts as an elective towards MCSA (if I decide to get this).

I honestly don't wanna work in all M$ environments as I'm some kind of native UNIX admin icon_smile.gif However, I think that the chances on the job market would probably be increased a lot by an MCSA on my resume.

I would like to get some opinions and comment on this if possible icon_smile.gif

Best regards,
Lordy
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I think you have a pretty good plan going. Unix experience is always a plus. I think you're right about the MCP as well, a lot of employers will see that ans Sec+, and see a diverse candidate with good IT knowledge in a broad spectrum.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    kobebriankobebrian Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LPIC-2 means LPI lv2??
    is it difficult??
    can u share some hints to take this cert?
  • Options
    kobebrian wrote:
    LPIC-2 means LPI lv2??
    is it difficult??
    can u share some hints to take this cert?

Yes, this is LPI Level 2.
    I must say that I found it easier then the first level as it is more focused on the real world :­-)

The focus is definitely on DNS (Bindicon_cool.gif and File Services (Samba. NFS and Apache). If you have some Linux experience (you can compile a kernel, you are comfortable setting up a server) you should be able to pass it with some preparation.

Best regads,
    Lordy
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I like your plan & think you will do well down that track. For alot of people there main system & certs are in Windows. Its alot easier to go from Unix/Sun to Windows than vice-versa. I think With the Sun & Unix cert mixed with an MCP & maybe down the road an MCSA you will not have a problem finding a job in a mixed enviroment. Have you looked into Linux+?
  • Options
    Thanks for your comment icon_smile.gif
    garv221 wrote:
    Have you looked into Linux+?

I've read that Linux+ is even easier then LPI Level 1.
    Having passed both LPI Level 1 and 2 I don't think getting Linux+ makes much sense for me, does it ?

Regards,
    Lordy
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    lordy wrote:
    Thanks for your comment icon_smile.gif
    garv221 wrote:
    Have you looked into Linux+?

I've read that Linux+ is even easier then LPI Level 1.
    Having passed both LPI Level 1 and 2 I don't think getting Linux+ makes much sense for me, does it ?

Regards,
    Lordy

No it doesn't make sense, it was just a suggestion. I don't really care for Comptia much anyways. I like Sec+ though.
  • Options
    the_beginnerthe_beginner Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello guys,
    I am completely new to the world of networking, i am a desktop T/S tech. I have no experience of networking. I woul like to know where do i begin. Please let me know.
    Thank you icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Hello guys,
    I am completely new to the world of networking, i am a desktop T/S tech. I have no experience of networking. I woul like to know where do i begin. Please let me know.
    Thank you icon_lol.gif

Try Network+. It is vendor neutral and will give you a good broad knowledge of Networking technologies. You can more info here.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    the_beginnerthe_beginner Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you for the info, i would go through that link. Any further inputs would be appriciated
  • Options
    HackNackHackNack Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you for the info, i would go through that link. Any further inputs would be appriciated

I have no further input for you for I do not teach common sense. Speaking about common sense, I don't think it's very nice of you to hi-jack this thread. I'm sure you didn't mean to but that's what's happening.

lordy,

I think you should keep going with UNIX/Linux. Screw being well-rounded. Obviously you have found your niche so go ahead and run with it. There are only good things to come.

Also, don't even think about getting Linux+ that's like getting an MCSA after your MCSE, or Security+ after CISSP -- doesn't make sense.