Cheap access server?

huwwatkinshuwwatkins Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
My cisco equiptment rack is shut away in a cupboard (for noise reasons) I have a pc in there that has 1 serial port that I remote in to when I need to access a router, but obviously have to go and manually move the console cable everytime I need to switch.

Is there any reason why I couldn't (or shouldn't) use this and some console cables as an access server?

8 Ports RS-232 Serial DB9 PCI Card Adapter ITE8871 WIN | eBay UK

Are there any benefits to spending £100+ on an nm16/32a for one of my routers?

Cheers

Huw

Comments

• mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I actually just set up a dedicated 2511 as an AS yesterday - it's pretty sweet, and well worth the cost of admission.

I think the only problem that has been stated with those types of cards is that the com ports sometimes re-arrange themselves when it is powered down/rebooted. Someone will have to confirm, but if I'm correct, seems like a major annoyance.

Although it may be worth it if I'm converting right, £100 is ~$150+? For a nm16 thats definitely pretty steep, may have to go with the serial card. I really didn't bid around and try to get the best deals, but landed a 2511-RJ the other day for $125 on ebay. Deals are definitely out there.
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ mattlee09: did you need a transceiver for RJ version? If so, how much was the transceiver? Im assuming individual cables can be used with RJ version instead of octal cable? Been looking for 2509RJ and 2511RJ deal on eBay for almost 2 weeks now. Most of them sells for $150 and above. I see a few 2509-RJ for $125, but shipping is $25. then, transceiver for another $20?
    518 wrote: »
    @ mattlee09: did you need a transceiver for RJ version? If so, how much was the transceiver? Im assuming individual cables can be used with RJ version instead of octal cable? Been looking for 2509RJ and 2511RJ deal on eBay for almost 2 weeks now. Most of them sells for $150 and above. I see a few 2509-RJ for $125, but shipping is $25. then, transceiver for another $20?
    The transceiver is for the AUI to convert to ethernet port, and wouldn't really be required unless you want to manage it from there instead of the console port, or if your going to use it as part of your lab (mine is strictly access). But yes, you would need one for an RJ version. Mine shipped with one.

And yes, individual cables rather than octal (which I like, so the length can vary).

This is the guy I got mine from: Cisco 2511-RJ Access Server 16 port | eBay

He has sold several, so might be worth contacting to see if he has any more. Looks like they sold anywhere from $85-$160, so he'd probably take the middle of the road for one if he has any available.
    @matt: I see. Thought you said $125, but the auction actually ended for $157 including shipping. There's a couple of 2509-RJ for $149 shipping is free, I think 8 port would be fine for me.

I'll only use it as an AS.

Thanks for the info.
    @matt: I see. Thought you said $125, but the auction actually ended for $157 including shipping. There's a couple of 2509-RJ for $149 shipping is free, I think 8 port would be fine for me.

I'll only use it as an AS.

Thanks for the info.
    I did - that particular listing was just one that ended at the middle of the price range.

This is mine - "Tareyn09" Cisco 2511-RJ Access Server 16 port | eBay

Watch the next few days, I hope to make a thread (maybe a post in the "Post your Lab" rather) with some pics and to get opinions for more devices. I'm actually really enjoying buying all this sweet gear. icon_lol.gif
    Nice! I dont know what Im doing wrong that I cant find a sweet deal for an AS..lol.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Nice! I dont know what Im doing wrong that I cant find a sweet deal for an AS..lol.

It's called Patience! I snagged an NM-16A which runs in my rack for less than $100 delivered (if memory serves correctly I paid $80 total)
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    I'm actually really enjoying buying all this sweet gear. icon_lol.gif

It becomes quite an addiction huh? Every time I have a few bucks I'm all over eBay seeing if there's a great deal despite the fact that there's nothing else that I need right now.

But on the other hand, its also quite an investment, unlike some of my other hobbies.