DHCP / DNS Lab in ICND 1

martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
Hi all,

i am preparing fpr my ICND 1 Exam and wonder if there might come up any DHCP/DNS Lab in the exam.
And then, I started a blog ...

Comments

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i did

Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router (using both CLI and SDM)

sounds like this could involve a simulation - but i kinda totaly lack the skill to configure dhcp/dns via cli ... icon_sad.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's Luck of the Draw involved with the questions you get from the exam pool -- so your best chance of passing is to study and be prepared for ALL of the topics listed in the exam blueprint. Plus if you learn it now, you will be better prepared to answer any questions on those topics during a job interview. I've had people tell me that they "didn't have that on their test" when I've asked a question -- and those job interviews end quickly after that.

And anyone here telling you what they had on the exam would be violating the Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy and the Cisco Nondisclosure Agreement they agreed to when they took the exam.

Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy
    No candidate will take any action that will compromise the integrity or confidentiality of a Cisco Certification examination or otherwise compromise the integrity of the Cisco Certification program. Such actions include but are not limited to:
    • Disseminating actual exam content via web postings, discussion groups, chat rooms, study guides, etc.
    Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement
    You agree that the contents of the exam are confidential and that the disclosure of that information could compromise the integrity of the Program and of Certifications. Cisco makes exams available to you solely to test your knowledge of the exam subject matter for which you seek Certification. You are expressly prohibited from disclosing, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any exam and any related information including, without limitation, questions, answers, worksheets, computations, drawings, diagrams, length or number of exam segments or questions, or any communication, including oral communication regarding or related to the exam (known collectively as “Proprietary Information”), in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, oral or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without the prior express written permission of Cisco.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thank you mike.
    So i guess its just back to the lab and figure out how to do it.

Hope you understand that 2 days before the exam there are moments of "panic" and you just want to hear a kind voice say "dont worry you will be fine" :D

But one more question, i used the cbt nuggets videos for preparation and they said that you dont have to worry about configuring NAT via cli in ICND1 ... is that correct?!

Cisco exam topics say:
    Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping

So at least u guess i can rule that out?
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    Why don't you study and become proficient on all the skills Cisco is looking for on their exams?

If they ask for it, you should know it.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So at least u guess i can rule that out?
    Nothing to guess. As long as another task doesn't open the door to a CLI NAT configuration, this task wants you to be able to configure NAT with SDM.

If if you read through the tasks and don't even understand what they are asking -- like what's NAT or SDM or the CLI -- then it's helpful to know that you may be able to reschedule up until 5PM or 6PM Eastern Time (or Central Time) up until the day before your scheduled exam. Or at least you used to.
    Hope you understand that 2 days before the exam there are moments of "panic" and you just want to hear a kind voice say "dont worry you will be fine"
    Don't worry. If you don't mind spending the money, you can always call it a practice exam -- so everything is going to be fine.

And the pre-exam panic goes away after about 15 exams. And I only had the during exam jitters for my first Cisco exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A good rule concerning Cisco exams is learn it all, pass it all !
    NAT is one of the most important things of the ccna and ipv4 so you might not want to skip it !
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Nothing to guess. As long as another task doesn't open the door to a CLI NAT configuration, this task wants you to be able to configure NAT with SDM.

If if you read through the tasks and don't even understand what they are asking -- like what's NAT or SDM or the CLI -- then it's helpful to know that you may be able to reschedule up until 5PM or 6PM Eastern Time (or Central Time) up until the day before your scheduled exam. Or at least you used to.

I dont think i need to rescedule because i feel safe in a lot of fields. It is just a possible lack of ios commands i fear.

I will use the evening to set up NAT via command line on router and the take my shot tomorrow. As you said if anything goes fubar you can always take a second shot and no one gets hurt ;)
    A good rule concerning Cisco exams is learn it all, pass it all !
    Reminds me of "A good way to stay alive is just keep breathing"

But you guys are right knowing your stuff seems to be essencial in the cisco exam world - not like in school or university where you can go and shoot fpr a 50% score with a hangover ;)
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Plus if you learn it now, you will be better prepared to answer any questions on those topics during a job interview. I've had people tell me that they "didn't have that on their test" when I've asked a question -- and those job interviews end quickly after that.
    This has been my main focus. Not just to pass the test; but to make sure that I don't look foolish in the interview.

The cert is simply a paper saying that you passed the exam. It's supposed to make you stand out in the list of potential employees and get your foot in the door. But it will do you little good if you're caught off-guard with a simple question. icon_redface.gif

Far better to be OVER-prepared than UNDER-prepared for an exam......icon_wink.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    MrRyte wrote: »
    This has been my main focus. Not just to pass the test; but to make sure that I don't look foolish in the interview.

The cert is simply a paper saying that you passed the exam. It's supposed to make you stand out in the list of potential employees and get your foot in the door. But it will do you little good if you're caught off-guard with a simple question. icon_redface.gif

Far better to be OVER-prepared than UNDER-prepared for an exam......icon_wink.gif

It is also far EASIER to be under prepared rather than over prepared. I think we have all been there...taking some test or certification exam when your knowledge and skills are right at the verge of being able to pass, and putting in all that last minute effort to try and get you over that hump.

I do love being over prepared, but unfortunately it is not always how things turn out icon_sad.gif. I've passed a Cisco test before by 2 points :D.
    Heero wrote: »
    It is also far EASIER to be under prepared rather than over prepared. I think we have all been there...taking some test or certification exam when your knowledge and skills are right at the verge of being able to pass, and putting in all that last minute effort to try and get you over that hump.

I do love being over prepared, but unfortunately it is not always how things turn out icon_sad.gif. I've passed a Cisco test before by 2 points :D.

Thats exactly what its liks :D

A job interview is a total different world there you are rated as a person in whole and not just if you can click the right boxes.

Anyway i just repeated the whole NAT thing using my CBT Nugget material an i must say it seems to be well covered and the first time i must have kinda skipped it somehow icon_redface.gif.

So i will go over configuring DHCP tonight and take another look at RIP routing commands and subnetting and hope to have a chance tomorrow afternoon icon_wink.gif