Study or Game!?

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Got kind of an odd one for yall lol.

Ok I play this Sim/Game called iRacing iRacing.com | The Premier Online Sim Racing Game it is a subscription based service. I would say iRacing is kind of like WOW, but for race car fans.

Nonetheless... I am sort of borderline ehh I hate to use the word "addicted", but I highly enjoy the game, but in a love hate kinda way. If I am loosing I hate it and if I am winning I love it.

To cut to my point have any of you all ever noticed something in your life that takes away from your study time and or career improvement? I would say that iRacing has not hurt me "yet", but I do spend a lot of time on it in order to be fast, for it is not like Foroza or a console racer, for one actually has to practice to be fast.

All this time I used to spend on iRacing is time I used to spend with a book in my hand or a CBT video on my computer screen.

Some of you may think I should just relax and enjoy the game and not spend so much time on it.. well I wish I could do that, but If I do not practice practice each week I will just be in the back of the pack come race time, and mehhh I rather just forget it than be last.. lol

I am just wondering if any of you ever got rid of something that was just time consuming and not physically productive towards life.

I believe iRacing is about to have to hit the road in my case.

Like I said all this is a oddball post - Thanks in adv.
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Last year I ended up kicking an MMO to the side that I enjoyed playing a lot due to it sucking up way too much time. I really wanted to knuckle down on my Japanese studies and so it was either the game or the studies and I felt it was time for self improvement. When you see you need to make the change just go ahead and make it, the longer your put it off the more difficult it will be.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everything in moderation.

Too much of one thing is usually not good.

Do both but I wouldn't go crazy on one particular thing.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I quit playing WoW about a year ago. When there is enough pain in your life caused by the waste of time from gaming, you stop and get the ball rolling.

Don't get me wrong, playing games is fine....but anything in excess is bad for you. Even studying. If you study 12 hours a day, you probably don't have time to get in your daily exercise. You're not taking care of yourself.

I don't see anything wrong with your gaming (in moderation) if you are capable of structuring your time to suit your needs.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Thanks for the advice so far. I took the liberty to uninstall the game lol I just get wayyyy too mad when I have bad race.. That this stuff is just not worth it to do on multiple levels not just taking away study time.

I think Ile keep my gaming on the XBOX where I do not have to "practice" to play lmao.

lol and NO I am not this guy. the_what_reveal_2.jpg
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I game when its slow at the office

Mmo = digital crack
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I played MMO’s for a while, which started as a time-wasting activity and turned into an involved hobby. After a while I realized I was spending a ton of time on something that would get me no real-world use. I was studying tactics, strategies, and memorizing items and gear that would get me nothing in the real world.

If I applied a fraction of the time and efforts into my own personal development instead of the development of my character, I’d be doing much better for myself. Plus, the satisfaction of real life “achievements” surpasses virtual achievements.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Gaming is OK during breaks from reading a book. Gaming is OK when you need your mind to relax a little.

Gaming is NOT OK when you find yourself missing sleep over it, and tired at work because you spent all night playing. Or, you find yourself throughout the day thinking up new strategies, on how you can be more effective at said game.

Games are okay, in their place, and can be enjoyed as such. The tricky thing is that the same drive and determination that can make you successful in real life, can be to your disadvantage, if you let it get out of control in your virtual life.

I wasted many, many degrees worth of time in mudding ... such a horrible habit to get involved in, LOL. I mean, seriously, who cares if you make "Hero" status, LOL? Can I put that on my resume?

Fortunately, I got wiser at some point, and decided to use my time portions a bit more wisely.

I'm glad that you're able to kick the habit (if it has become an addiction for you).

With all things, moderation is good, as a previous poster said.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you'll find that as you progress in life, gaming will take a back seat whether you want it to or not. I've enjoyed gaming my whole life, from the time Nintendo first came out, to playing Black Ops on the weekends now, and everything in between.

One thing I've found lately is that I really don't even think of games anymore. Sure, I'd love to play. I'd love to even have the time to sit down for an hour to play, but I just don't because there are other things which are naturally more important to me. I never really have to make the decision "do I game or do this other thing that needs my attention?"

Like others have said, play in moderation and you'll be fine. Your free time is yours alone, there's nothing set in stone that says you're being unproductive if you're gaming as opposed to studying. Life is full of sacrifices and trade off's, short term versus long term gratification, if you will. Whichever path you identify as best for yourself, that's the best one.

That said, if you're posting on TE wondering if you're gaming habits are excessive...I'd say they most likely are and that you took a step in the right direction just giving up that game for a bit. But don't ever let anyone tell you that you should be studying instead of gaming, there's just too many other factors that bear weight when making that call.

Because I'm sure I should be studying on Saturday when I do manage to play Black Ops for a few hours...but I'm hopeful that I can eventually list "Attack Dogs", on my resume.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I havent touched my PS3 for nearly 4 weeks, now I don't miss it at all infact it has been quite beneficial I workout and jog instead of sitting there on my ass staring at a screen eating potato chips.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've only been using it lately with the PS3 media server...streaming .mkv files over an 802.11b WLAN to my TV downstairs. My inner geek screams in joy every time. icon_lol.gif
  • AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used to play MMO a lot but I haven't touched it in a few years. I still play games but now I play games that I can actually beat. I just beat Assassin Creed: Brotherhood the other day, now back to studying :D
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I played MMO’s for a while, which started as a time-wasting activity and turned into an involved hobby. After a while I realized I was spending a ton of time on something that would get me no real-world use. I was studying tactics, strategies, and memorizing items and gear that would get me nothing in the real world.

Thats where I have gotten with this racing. I analyze replays watching from different angles etc. I study car setup theory.I try different setups.

I can spend hours just trying to find a 10th of a second in speed lol

I agree- its got to go.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Life is all about balance.

All work and no play usually doesn't work very well. Just as spending all of your time playing games and neglecting your significant other usually won't turn out well.

Unfortunately I approach things with a fire alarm metality. When I'm on a study kick, that is all I want to do and everything else takes the back seat. When I'm in a gaing phase, that is all I do. (Lucky for me, I haven't been in one of those for about a year and a half now)

The ideal composition is going to vary from person to person. Personality and goals are going to play very largly into how you want to break your time down. I gave up WOW two years ago because all I wanted to do was play it. Studying took the back seat, my girlfriend took the back seat, and I was wasting away $15 a month on something that I believe was hurting my life. Now I have more time for other things, and an extra $180 a year to play with.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Everything in moderation.

Too much of one thing is usually not good.

Do both but I wouldn't go crazy on one particular thing.

I totally agree this is how I balance my time between work, study, social activity, gaming, and life in general!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In general, as long as I feel like I'm improving myself and my knowledge, then I am succeeding.

That doesn't necessarily mean everything IT in my book.

If I play a bunch of games every week, but learn a ton of information (politics, us history, home improvement), start/finish projects at home, succeed at work, and so on... Then I feel like I'm balancing my time appropriately succeeding.

I used to not get that feeling... So I did cut out my gaming and TV watching. I also turned on my desires and motifivation/will to learn.

In general, I'm happy with my time management. I ALWAYS want to improve or adjust... That's just my nature. But as long as I'm in the range I want to be in, then I'm happy.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!