Internet Explorer 9

certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
Did you try the new IE version? Do you like it or dislike it less than prior versions? Will you make the switch (back) to IE as a primary browser?

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I downloaded it only because Slacker.com offered a free 1 month subscription if I did so. After my account was credited 1 month, I uninstalled it. I like to allow a few years of bug removal before I install and use a new version of anything Microsoft has to offer.
  • certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    I am not easily impressed and also take time before switching. I thought MS didn't have it in them as far as IE. But IE9 seems very usable and responsive unlike the prior versions. I am thinking of completly doing away with firefox. I used to use FF as main browser and Chrome as needed. Now I am thinking of using Chrome and IE9. I don't usually install many addons, but number of crashes of FF have gone up. Seems like it needs updated every few days.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It's an improvement, but I will still continue to use FireFox.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm not a big IE user since Opera and Chrome is my preference but I did install IE9 to see what it was like. I'd say it seems to be an improvement over IE8, I like that it takes up less screen real estate. Pinning a page to your taskbar has been handy as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have not had the chance to download it yet. I am making this my priority for tonight when I get home. Since I am basically a web devloper now I guess I need to be using it...
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have no need to use IE9 since I am perfectly happy with Chrome.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am probably the only one who never used anything but IE lol ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    I am probably the only one who never used anything but IE lol ..

I use mostly IE. I just have to use FireFox to do certain things. So I am right there with you.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    Did you try the new IE version? Do you like it or dislike it less than prior versions? Will you make the switch (back) to IE as a primary browser?

I loved IE 8 and other previous versions, but IE 9 is horrible in my opinion. I like it when IE 8 and other versions allowed you to add a google search to your tool bar. I find it hard to modify the tool bar. Also, IE 9 keeps pushing bing search and you have to use a google drop down box search to use the google search. Anyone have a solution for site advisor for IE 9 and Firefox 4? Apparently, these won’t on FF4 or IE9 yet. Anyways, after beening a huge IE fan I'm moving over to FF 4.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    I loved IE 8 and other previous versions, but IE 9 is horrible in my opinion. I like it when IE 8 and other versions allowed you to add a google search to your tool bar.

Like Google Chrome, IE9 uses single box for search and url. You can add a search provider easily; Select the URL/Search drop-down box -- expand by click on the arrow. Click on Add button. This opens up the Internet explorer addons page for search providers. Select the provider(s). You can select the default search provider in the confirmation window that pops up. Except for the starting point, this is all similar to how you used to do it in IE8.

Also, you can use Addons window (Tools Icon > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Addons button) to do this as well as deleting the addons.

I find it hard to modify the tool bar. Also, IE 9 keeps pushing bing search and you have to use a google drop down box search to use the google search.
    You can change the search provider, so this isn't true.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    IE has been my primary browser at home, FF at work. I play with other browsers occasionally. Since I do a lot of compatibilty testing in my current position I tend to stay on the bleeding edge and I have been using IE9 since it was in Beta.

I actually prefer IE9 over previous versions, but it could just be me.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like Google Chrome, IE9 uses single box for search and url. You can add a search provider easily; Select the URL/Search drop-down box -- expand by click on the arrow. Click on Add button. This opens up the Internet explorer addons page for search providers. Select the provider(s). You can select the default search provider in the confirmation window that pops up. Except for the starting point, this is all similar to how you used to do it in IE8.

It took some getting used to, but I am kinda liking the single box for search and URL. You could have even done that in IE 7 and IE 8, but I just liked using the search box for the search. :) (With Google, of course... :D ).

BTW, while I do have Firefox, I mainly only use IE. I'm not "L3E7" like that...lmao.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□

Also, you can use Addons window (Tools Icon > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Addons button) to do this as well as deleting the addons.

You can change the search provider, so this isn't true.

Well I let windows update push IE9 onto my Vista system and so far several things changed. I have no search provider at all any more. Also windows mail got affected with changes because of this. The attachment window disappeared on the displayed message. A paper-clip does show on the mail message list. I realized that double clicking gets you your attachments. The yellow bar to click and show pictures in HTML messages is gone. Now you must go to view each time and click block messages.

Right now I am of the opinion that usability compared to IE8 for the general stuff has been reduced. The way to correct this is not obvious to me after a bit of searching, and I am not a fan of that yellow tinted increased chatty box at the bottom of the window that replaced a normal message box in the middle of the window. I guess some of the crew that keeps changing the office user interface must have transferred to IE work. I see that violating the programming rule of least astonishment is still alive and well in Redmond. Are raspberries in season yet?

There are additional FF like features added for web programming use so it appears that the MS guys had a case of firebug envy. i am inclined to return to IE8 or try chrome. I use FF on my programming system anyway but had used IE8 for general computing.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Downloaded it on a Lark, as I was setting up a new laptop. Have to say I really am digging it over ie8. Search and URL combined box is great. Already pinning sites to my task bar, and the little pop up window on the bottom of the screen annoys me less than the little security bar on the top of ie 8. Already installed it on all my other machines.
    WGU Progress
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IE 9 seems fast and pretty cool but I still don't like what MS has done with the interface. I really dislike the "Favorites" being pushed far right. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a game of "Pong" from both sides when using IE.

I also think MS is over simplifying the interface to the point where you can't find anything anymore unless you know exactly what "symbol' to push. I think novice users will be confused and left feeling trapped without knowing where to access things quickly.

I really like the new Firefox 4 but they have removed the "Back History" drop down list button and "New Tab" Button when browsing while not always displaying the tab bar (Kind of hard to explain unless you see it).

I think I boycott IE anymore just to be different and to keep my attack surface lower icon_wink.gif I also love "Adblock Plus" and can't browse without it anymore.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is one thing I noticed with IE9 which is quite annoying. When you download large files, it sits there at 99% .... It seems to stuck at the stage of renaming the file from filename.iso.partial to filename.iso ... Tried to cancel the download, which didn't do anything, but renamed the file myself and it was fine and working ... Makes me wonder if you have to run IE as admin when downloading files (although smaller files seem to work)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I thought it was OK until I discovered that IE9 royally broke the Juniper SSG GUI - most of the side menus do not appear despite adding it to the trusted zone, trying compatibility modes etc. This seems to occur for multiple versions of the SSG firmware, though I've yet to sift through all of them.

Back to Firefox/Chrome then :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I installed, BSOD, uninstalled. Nuff said.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IE9 came with a newly SOE'd laptop at work. It just looks like IE with all the functions rearranged. Can't see the point really.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    IE9 came with a newly SOE'd laptop at work. It just looks like IE with all the functions rearranged. Can't see the point really.

IE9 bears little resemblence to the older versions. It is almost a new incarnation unlike the upgrade from IE7 to IE8. It is designed to leave as much space as possible for the website/page like Google Chrome. It will take some time getting used to if you have not used chrome or similar browsers.
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I installed IE9 and played with it for a few minutes. I still enjoy Chrome and up to this point will not switch from Chrome until the quality goes down like Firefox's did.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I installed it on my desktop but I don't really use it.

Firefox FTW! icon_thumright.gif
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    IE 9 is great but I will probably continue to use Chrome instead. The main point, anymore, to upgrading IE versions is for security and stability.
    IE 9 is great but I will probably continue to use Chrome instead. The main point, anymore, to upgrading IE versions is for security and stability.

Clearly you did not see the demos of IE9 HTML5 with Hardware Acceleration on the MIX 2011 keynotes. WOW!
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I tried to us IE 9 more, I just like Chrome better. The best compliment I can give to IE is that if it pops up from a link inside an email or something I won't immediately close it to switch browsers.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I almost uninstalled IE 9 as I was having problems reading an important popup on the WGU Portal page. Prior to adding WGU.EDU to the compatibility list, I had to VPN to my work PC's IE 7 (need it for work) browser.

When I did add it to the compatibility list, IE 9 was good again. It does take some time to get used to.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IE9 bears little resemblence to the older versions. It is almost a new incarnation unlike the upgrade from IE7 to IE8. It is designed to leave as much space as possible for the website/page like Google Chrome. It will take some time getting used to if you have not used chrome or similar browsers.

Nah, I stand by my statement and sure won't give it that much due. It looks like a simplified IE8, with the icons that were the left now on the right.

However, I have just moved to a new client site where they still have IE6 installed. That made me less indifferent.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    There is one thing I noticed with IE9 which is quite annoying. When you download large files, it sits there at 99% .... It seems to stuck at the stage of renaming the file from filename.iso.partial to filename.iso ... Tried to cancel the download, which didn't do anything, but renamed the file myself and it was fine and working ... Makes me wonder if you have to run IE as admin when downloading files (although smaller files seem to work)

I have noticed this issue with the RTM release, it never gave me issues in the beta or RC.