Help with garage project (Silverlight chess library)

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in helping with a "garage" project. Basically I'm working on a Silverlight library for programming chess related controls such as a PGN viewer and controls for training tactics via puzzles. Any one interested in helping out?

Comments

• XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds interesting!!!! I would be interested in learning more about iticon_wink.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, I have only started on some of the most basic classes and I am quite concerned that I actually have no idea what I am doing. I'm kind of looking at classes written by ChessCafe on CodePlex (writtenin C# but not for Silverlight specifically) and Chesspresso, which is a Java library with a similar purpose. I think Silverlight is really the ideal sort of platform for this and I am shocked that nothing exists in the open source arena for it. Currently I am writing a library to parse PGN files and their annotations. It's actually much harder than I ancticipated. I think I need to look into ChessCafe's code in more detail. But this seems like a worthwhile project for learning the finer aspects of .NET.
    Well, I have only started on some of the most basic classes and I am quite concerned that I actually have no idea what I am doing. I'm kind of looking at classes written by ChessCafe on CodePlex (writtenin C# but not for Silverlight specifically) and Chesspresso, which is a Java library with a similar purpose. I think Silverlight is really the ideal sort of platform for this and I am shocked that nothing exists in the open source arena for it. Currently I am writing a library to parse PGN files and their annotations. It's actually much harder than I ancticipated. I think I need to look into ChessCafe's code in more detail. But this seems like a worthwhile project for learning the finer aspects of .NET.

I'm going to look at that ChessCafe tonight when I get some time. I'll send you a PM or email so we can stay connected as well

What should we name the project? I'll set something up on codeplex for us.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just wondering if anyone would be interested in helping with a "garage" project. Basically I'm working on a Silverlight library for programming chess related controls such as a PGN viewer and controls for training tactics via puzzles. Any one interested in helping out?

I'd love to help. Unfortunately I only understood about 2% of what you said so I think you are going to have to count me out on this one.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too only understand that it sounds like you're creating a game to play chess :)
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    westward wrote: »
    I too only understand that it sounds like you're creating a game to play chess :)

I couldn't have been the only one in a chess club as a kid, lol.

Anyways - I'm not worth a nickel for programming (gotta draw the line somewhere).

Just thought I would add in I think I get what your going after.

Not to be a downer or anything, but your going to check each move to make sure it's legal, right? icon_twisted.gif (Makes my hair stand on end thinking about it).
  • westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BISHOP sitting at (4, 4) can go to (3, 3) or (3, 5) or (5, 3) or (5, 5)

or something.

Sounds fun - I do actually like programming, not sure I'll get good enough to get a job in it though...competition is fierce.
    westward wrote: »
    BISHOP sitting at (4, 4) can go to (3, 3) or (3, 5) or (5, 3) or (5, 5)

or something.

Sounds fun - I do actually like programming, not sure I'll get good enough to get a job in it though...competition is fierce.

You should join us. You'll get the chance to learn .NET (C#/Silverlight) and add something to your resume.

How about SL-ChesSDK for the project name? About as creative as I can be at the moment.
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261

How about SL-ChesSDK for the project name? About as creative as I can be at the moment.

How about I'm allergic to the sun, so let me bury myself in something indoors. That may be a little long though.
    nerdydad wrote: »
    How about I'm allergic to the sun, so let me bury myself in something indoors. That may be a little long though.
    Or "One more reason for my wife to want to divorce me"?
    Or "One more reason for my wife to want to divorce me"?

LOL icon_lol.gif