Options

Teaming up to build an information system?

westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is anyone else here interested in building a financial information system to demonstrate their database, web, and programming skills as a team?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What exactly do you have in mind?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I already fully emulate an enterprise network as part of my lab setup (much love for VMWare), but I'm no developer. I shamelessly steal and deploy the hard work of others.
  • Options
    GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I already fully emulate an enterprise network as part of my lab setup (much love for VMWare), but I'm no developer. I shamelessly steal and deploy the hard work of others.

Wow, good work!
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • Options
    What exactly do you have in mind?

One idea. I've noticed that so much of today's financial info systems are based on day-trading philosophy. For those that trade long-term, based on fundamental analysis, there isn't a good system that focuses on balance sheets to make a judgment on the health of a company. Some values, such as historical P/E values, are hard to come by.

I know that a screener for large-cap US stocks that rated companies by the health of their balance sheets, and by how and why their P/E is changing over time would be valuable to me.

How stable is their revenue over time?
    How stable are their operating expenses? If they change, then why?
    How stable is their dividend?
    Is their debt decreasing or increasing?

Something a little more predictive would be to track major indexes (and gold, the dollar, oil) and make medium-term inferences about their behavior based purely on US/World news.

I only chose financial systems because there's so much data readily available to be parsed and examined.
  • Options

I don't even understand what this sentence means!

You're using VMWare to emulate what kind of an enterprise network? And what exactly are you stealing!

I mean, technically speaking all the coding/webdev I've ever done was 90% copy and paste from others, so nothing shameful there.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    westward wrote: »
    I don't even understand what this sentence means!

You're using VMWare to emulate what kind of an enterprise network? And what exactly are you stealing!

I mean, technically speaking all the coding/webdev I've ever done was 90% copy and paste from others, so nothing shameful there.

I have a full multi-site silo model network designed and implemented on my cluster, with proper security checks at each access point. I'm basically emulating my work environment as closely as I possibly can. This allows me to play with things in the lab before I break them in production :)

And I'm doing it all with free software.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    westward wrote: »
    One idea. I've noticed that so much of today's financial info systems are based on day-trading philosophy. For those that trade long-term, based on fundamental analysis, there isn't a good system that focuses on balance sheets to make a judgment on the health of a company. Some values, such as historical P/E values, are hard to come by.

I know that a screener for large-cap US stocks that rated companies by the health of their balance sheets, and by how and why their P/E is changing over time would be valuable to me.

How stable is their revenue over time?
    How stable are their operating expenses? If they change, then why?
    How stable is their dividend?
    Is their debt decreasing or increasing?

Something a little more predictive would be to track major indexes (and gold, the dollar, oil) and make medium-term inferences about their behavior based purely on US/World news.

I only chose financial systems because there's so much data readily available to be parsed and examined.
    What sort of technologies are you currently working with? I work in manufacturing but my department mostly develops for the financial groups so the BI part of this is of interest to me. I'm an MS guy. Silverlight, C#, SQL Server and SharePoint are my bread and butter. I also dabble with WCF. I've worked with duplex services that are good for publishing tickers and things of that sort. I am guessing you are looking at real data not demo data.
  • Options
    Duplicate below...
  • Options
    What sort of technologies are you currently working with? I work in manufacturing but my department mostly develops for the financial groups so the BI part of this is of interest to me. I'm an MS guy. Silverlight, C#, SQL Server and SharePoint are my bread and butter. I also dabble with WCF. I've worked with duplex services that are good for publishing tickers and things of that sort. I am guessing you are looking at real data not demo data.

I am familiar with a complimentary set of methods - PHP, MySQL, recently Java, and all Web (JS, AJAX, HTML/CSS).