Options

CCVP or CCNA Security 1st

MichaelCookMichaelCook Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have CCNA Voice via IIUC. I have started studying the Cvoice 8 rough cuts but as the hardware is very pricey I am going to be labbing on GNS3 and a 1760-V. I understand this could make my road to CCVP tougher. Do you think it would be beneficial to take a quick shot at CCNA Security in the meantime in hopes that the 2800 series pricing comes down? Or do you think potential employers may see this as having little direction? I really enjoy the voice world so far but I see a great deal of benefit in the knowing some more security as well. Sorry for the rambling and TIA.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Depends your on your situation and experience with Cisco Security. If your familiar with configuring secure management, port security, Zone based firewall/CBAC, ACLs I'd take a shot at the CCNA: Security.

I can't speak for the voice side of the question.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't think employers would see it as a lack of direction, security is a good concept to have no matter the business you are in. It is essential, and I will be getting my Security+ to supplement soon.

In regards to what path you want to choose, the CCNP: Voice when taken with due diligence can take almost a year to complete. I'm looking at finishing mine in October and I started late last year.

Where as the CCNA: Security can be done in a month in some cases. So ask yourself, is the CCNA:Security certification something that interests you and can have a direct impact on what you do day to day? If your answer to either (or both) of these questions is yes, than tackle it first.

My 2cents.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    iAlso, In my opinion, the CCNA: Security covers basic Security setup for Cisco devices. Secure Management, Secure Connectivity (VPN), Network Security (Firewalls).

I don't think anyone would consider that lack of focus. It shows you how to better secure your device I think it provides good supplicant knowledge.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    Im gonna agree with the rest. Do security first, then voice.

If i could go back, I would force myself to do security.. but just thinking about it puts me to sleep.. i cant stop with my current track, but at some point, security MUST happen in my track.
  • Options
    RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your main reason in doing the CCNA Security is to wait for 2800 prices to come down...I wouldn't bother. It doesnt take that long to get the CCNA Security and I doubt they'll drop much in that time frame.

If I were you, I'd take the money I was gonna spend on the CCNA Security and put it towards rack rentals. Much of the CVoice exam is theory...I'm sure u can lab everything in about 30 hours, no problem.

I picked up 25 hours of rack time from INE for $20 the other day...they're constantly having 1/2 off sales.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I took the CCNA Security exam in the middle of my CCVP studies. I ended up working on a project that required an ISR template to cover CME, VPN, and Zone Based Firewall so the supplemental skills will definitely come in handy. Of course I did it in the reverse order - After figuring it all out first, the test was a no brainer :)

Also don't think that the 2800s will get cheaper any time soon - It is of course the last model before Cisco started implementing IOS version/feature "activation".
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    MichaelCookMichaelCook Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses. Most of what you all are saying is what I was thinking. It's too bad, for me, about the 2800 prices but I did not realize how cheap some lab time can be so that is a positive. I think I will finish off the CVoice 8.0 exam and then probably tackle the IINS exam. Security does not interest me but as many have stated I see it as a must at some point in my studies. Thanks again for all the responses and advice.