Options

Looking for a List or Chart of most used CLI Commands for on Job

Dustin.ciscoDustin.cisco Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I just got recently Cisco certified and obtained a job at a newly built bank as a Network Admin/IT Technician where I will manage 20+ Routers and switches between 5 branches.

And I was wondering if anyone had a List, Chart, or maybe a Book of Common daily used commands and troubleshooting commands. The reason I ask is because I would like to have a mobile "?" list (if you will, lol) for when I travel between the banks branches. So this way I could figure out a solution before I arrive at a branch office. I don't have the experience yet to have everything down pat so it would be a huge help.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Amazon.com: CCNA Portable Command Guide (9781587201585): Scott Empson: Books

That might be a good one to pick up. I don't have it, but I've seen it in the book store. The picture doesn't depict it well, but the book is about the size of a small paperback novel.

For $5 used, you can't go wrong.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ditto on the Portable Command Reference(s) -- they've got the CCNA and CCNP exam versions.

There's also the Router Configuration Handbook and the Cisco LAN Switching Configuration Handbook -- but those are best studied before you need them.

The commands you use are determined by the situation -- and your experience.

I'll usually do a show version if I'm on someone else's device to see what it is (and kill time while starting to form my plan of attack).

On a router sho ip int br is my goto command to get the lay of the land (or network).

On a switch I'll usually show interface status.

Then once I've settled in and made friends with the device -- I issue what ever command(s) necessary to track down the issue.

Don't ever run a debug command on a network until you know what you're doing -- or someone you trust (like a senior network engineer who isn't trying to get you fired) tells you to. icon_lol.gif

And depending on the size of your network (and if it was poorly designed and/or configured), some of the obvious commands you learn in the CCNA, like show ip route, could also turn out to be a bad idea. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Dustin.ciscoDustin.cisco Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ya it seems like most the handbooks are meant for studying purposes. I guess what I'm looking for is the "?" feature organized in a book lol.

So if i wanted to look up commands for port security while I'm taking a lunch break i could easily go to the P section =D

Edit: I think i found something pretty close to what i was looking for. It is missing out a lot but covers the basics. In case anyone else is interested then check out the link

http://www.pantz.org/software/ios/ioscommands.html
  • Options
    2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CCNA Portable Command Reference is the most practical book I own. Took one to Iraq in 2009, left my copy with the guy replacing me and bought another one when I got home. I cannot recommend it enough.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    All good books mentioned. Take a look at packetlife.net - there are some brilliant '**** sheets' as he calls them. I have them saved as PDF on my iPhone and use them as a quick goto reference - they really are quite good. For the more obscure commands I really do rely on the '?'.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I read this book back in the day, but it is not what you're looking for:

Amazon.com: Network Administrators Survival Guide (978158705211icon_cool.gif: Anand Deveriya: Books

Is this link more up your alley? :D

Cisco IOS Command Reference Master Index
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    ya it seems like most the handbooks are meant for studying purposes. I guess what I'm looking for is the "?" feature organized in a book lol.

So if i wanted to look up commands for port security while I'm taking a lunch break i could easily go to the P section =D

Edit: I think i found something pretty close to what i was looking for. It is missing out a lot but covers the basics. In case anyone else is interested then check out the link

Cisco IOS Commands

I think the portable command guides are great. The little what do i want to do index in the back comes in very handy. It is definitely not just for studying. I keep mine in the car just in case I need it at a customer site even though I rarely get the opportunity to use it.