Connecting 2 real PCs to a GNS3 Virtual Switch

jmsa7jmsa7 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I want to connect 2 real PCs to a switch in GNS3 as the topology shows:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I want PC1 to be the PC that I use to run GNS3. I used MS Loopback Adapter for the cloud (PC1).

I have another (real) PC that I want to use for PC2. I connected a crossover ethernet cable from the Local Area NIC PC1 to PC2.
I have used MS Local Area Network Adapter for the cloud (PC2).

The problem:

I have configured MS Loopback Adapter with IP address 192.168.1.2 /24.

Now, what IP addresses should I use in the Local Area Adapter for PC1 and PC2? Should I use the same in both? (192.168.1.3 /24)

Im running Windows XP Sp3.

Thank you for your time. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm not sure if I completely understand your problem, but I think I see what you're trying to do. You need a cloud representing each NIC that the crossover cable is plugged in to.

Like this:
    GNS3 routers > cloud > network card on First computer < network card on Second computer < cloud < GNS3 routers.

Does that make any sense at all? I figured it out with youtube videos. It helps to have someone walk you through the process in a video.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • jmsa7jmsa7 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I completely understand your problem, but I think I see what you're trying to do. You need a cloud representing each NIC that the crossover cable is plugged in to.

Like this:
    GNS3 routers > cloud > network card on First computer < network card on Second computer < cloud < GNS3 routers.

Does that make any sense at all? I figured it out with youtube videos. It helps to have someone walk you through the process in a video.

Well basically what I still don't understand is how to assign the correct IP addresses when connecting for example a real PC to a Virtual Switch in GNS3. Let's say PC1 is running GNS3 and I want to connect PC2 through an Ethernet crossover cable (I presume - I know that if it was a real PC to a real switch I would have to use a straight-through cable).

So I define a cloud for PC2 and I choose the Local Network Adapter in PC1. Then I connect the cloud to the switch. The thing is, what IP addresses should I use in the NIC of PC1 and NIC of PC2?
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    jmsa7 wrote: »
    Well basically what I still don't understand is how to assign the correct IP addresses when connecting for example a real PC to a Virtual Switch in GNS3. Let's say PC1 is running GNS3 and I want to connect PC2 through an Ethernet crossover cable (I presume - I know that if it was a real PC to a real switch I would have to use a straight-through cable).

So I define a cloud for PC2 and I choose the Local Network Adapter in PC1. Then I connect the cloud to the switch. The thing is, what IP addresses should I use in the NIC of PC1 and NIC of PC2?

Now that I think of it, maybe connecting your hypervisors together would be a better way to go. Basically you tell each instance of GNS3 on each computer about the other instances of GNS3 and they can talk to each other. http://www.brainbump.net/2008/08/how-to-run-multi-pc-topology-using-distributed-hypervisors-in-gns3/

Using this method, you just need your two PCs to be on the same network.

Will this work for you?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.