Options

Zig-zag track or straight... which is best?

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
I'm preparing to take the CCNA exam very soon. That pretty much satisfies the prerequisite to move on to anything else for Cisco, so I'm getting that out of the way first.

Now... my goal was actually to go to back to school for an MS in Computer & Network security, but then I discovered (before starting the Cisco certification track) that Cisco has a certification track for network security. SO, after reading about the different tracks they have and grasping how long and difficult each step is (or at least this one), I sort of picked the Security track seeing how network security will foreseeably be a growing area of IT, and since I absolutely loathe the thought of having to endure several more years of academic prison ...ehhem... college, versus getting credible certifications doing just that in MUCH less time, accruing MUCH less debt (or none at all) HOPEFULLY getting the same result -- a good paying JOB -- without all the unnecessary BS school has to offer.

That being said, reviewing the coursework for both the R&S track and the Security track, the two CCNP level certifications have totally different courses for which to become certified. So far, I've only seen one person suggest going the R&S path before going toward any other, to have a solid foundation to work from since all Cisco tracks are basically based on R&S (are they?)...

So, my questions are, considering the time and money factors, and anything else relevant, would it be smart to complete the R&S CCNP 1st before pursuing the Security track? How much do the Security CCNP & CCIE certs depend on your knowlede of R&S (since it's a Cisco security track and not a general network security track? Would an operating system cert be necessary or a good idea to stick in there also (ex: MCITP SA)?

In other words, which path should I choose (assuming CCNP X is a safe enough landing):
CCNA > CCNA Security > CCNP Security

or

CCNA > CCNP R&S > CCNA Security > CCNP Security

or

CCNA > CCNA Security > CCNP R&S >CCNP Security

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So, my questions are, considering the time and money factors, and anything else relevant, would it be smart to complete the R&S CCNP 1st before pursuing the Security track? How much do the Security CCNP & CCIE certs depend on your knowlede of R&S (since it's a Cisco security track and not a general network security track? Would an operating system cert be necessary or a good idea to stick in there also (ex: MCITP SA)?

In other words, which path should I choose (assuming CCNP X is a safe enough landing):

or

or

First of all I wouldn't drop college education just so fast. Look into WGU Online University | Degree Programs, Accredited Bachelor's and Master's

Second of all, it is usually suggested that people get the R&S side of things before moving onward. I attempted the CCNP about a year ago and got turned off, so I got my CCNA:Voice, read the SWITCH book, and have started my way down my voice track, with the intention of finishing my CCNP after I get my CCNP:Voice. I guess my point is, while it is better, it is not necessary.

CCIE level exams will cost you nearly over $3000 just to take, with the expense of travel and lodging in mind. Many more if you plan on purchacing your own CCIE lab, which can be near $2000 in and of itself.

I would not look so far ahead. Many people's tracks change as they begin to study certain things. I thought I hated phones, little did I know I really loved them. Take it one step at a time, and try to continue your college education as well.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm preparing to take the CCNA exam very soon. That pretty much satisfies the prerequisite to move on to anything else for Cisco, so I'm getting that out of the way first.

Now... my goal was actually to go to back to school for an MS in Computer & Network security, but then I discovered (before starting the Cisco certification track) that Cisco has a certification track for network security. SO, after reading about the different tracks they have and grasping how long and difficult each step is (or at least this one), I sort of picked the Security track seeing how network security will foreseeably be a growing area of IT, and since I absolutely loathe the thought of having to endure several more years of academic prison ...ehhem... college, versus getting credible certifications doing just that in MUCH less time, accruing MUCH less debt (or none at all) HOPEFULLY getting the same result -- a good paying JOB -- without all the unnecessary BS school has to offer.

That being said, reviewing the coursework for both the R&S track and the Security track, the two CCNP level certifications have totally different courses for which to become certified. So far, I've only seen one person suggest going the R&S path before going toward any other, to have a solid foundation to work from since all Cisco tracks are basically based on R&S (are they?)...

or

or

Never drop College!!!

Get your degree and work on your certs at the same time.

This is the way I'm going now:

I'm working on the CCNP R&S then heading the CCNP Security road.

Whatever road you decide to take, stay in school until you're done. Your degree will never expire, but the Cisco certs will if you don't stay on top of them.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    viper75 wrote: »
    Never drop College!!!

Get your degree and work on your certs at the same time.

This is the way I'm going now:

I'm working on the CCNP R&S then heading the CCNP Security road.

Whatever road you decide to take, stay in school until you're done. Your degree will never expire, but the Cisco certs will if you don't stay on top of them.

You're in NY also, I see, and seem to be following the path I had been leaning toward. What are the prospects looking like? Can you give me some insight? Are you currently working using your certs? Did you use your certs to get a related job? If so, or not, how's that going?

PS: My personal higher education experience has been horrible and nearly a waste for me despite having Associate and Bachelor degrees, and I was victimized again just trying to get grad school started, so it was a total turn off... but that's another long story.
  • Options
    You're in NY also, I see, and seem to be following the path I had been leaning toward. What are the prospects looking like? Can you give me some insight? Are you currently working using your certs? Did you use your certs to get a related job? If so, or not, how's that going?

PS: My personal higher education experience has been horrible and nearly a waste for me despite having Associate and Bachelor degrees, and I was victimized again just trying to get grad school started, so it was a total turn off... but that's another long story.

I've been working on Cisco gear for many years, so I have plenty of experience with Cisco. As far as prospects, I get calls and emails from headhunters offering me contract jobs doing Cisco work. I'm currently working fulltime as a Network Engineer for an ISP, therefore contract jobs are out of the question.

My job required you to at least have a CCNA. 6 months after I was hired in (10/2009) I obtained the CCNA. They paid for it and I received a nice raise. A year after I got my CCNA I got my CCNA Security cert. They also paid for it and paid for the books.

My current job hired me because even though I was not certified when I got hired, they saw I had plenty of experience with all sorts of Cisco gear. From Layer 2 switches to large Enterprise Layer 3 core switches (6500's) and wireless. They did tell me that I needed to get certifed within 6 months.

I am currently working on my CCNP ROUTE and again they are paying for the books and any study material I need. My job highly encourages you to keep climing the Cisco ladder. When I'm not out doing installs or doing anything at customer sites or any remote work, I stay in the office and study all day long. Then when I get home after work I put a few more hours of study time.

The team I work with including my Boss consist of 6 guys. My boss, another Senior Engineer, and I have Cisco certs. The other 3 guys are more junior guys that are currently working towards their CCNA.

In my job we do A LOT of routing, switching, firewalls, and now wireless. So having these certs are almost a must.

I've always been a security guy and like to work on firewalls. So after the CCNP R&S, I'm going to go for the CCNP Security cert. As soon as the CCNP Security books come out I'm going to get them and start to go through them.

In my current job I have configured and installed over 100 Cisco ASA firewalls ranging from 5505's to 5520's.

I must say that my job will definitely support you and help you get Cisco certs. I'm very lucky with that. Unfortunately not all employers are like that. Before my current job I used to work for a consulting firm and they paid for NOTHING! Not even a book. They wanted you to get certified, but you got help with nothing. The company is a small, privately owned company that didn't care about you or their clients. They only cared about their bank accounts. Thank God I don't work there anymore!!!

Anyway, I hope that answered your question.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    viper75 wrote: »
    I've been working on Cisco gear for many years, so I have plenty of experience with Cisco. As far as prospects, I get calls and emails from headhunters offering me contract jobs doing Cisco work. I'm currently working fulltime as a Network Engineer for an ISP, therefore contract jobs are out of the question.

My job required you to at least have a CCNA. 6 months after I was hired in (10/2009) I obtained the CCNA. They paid for it and I received a nice raise. A year after I got my CCNA I got my CCNA Security cert. They also paid for it and paid for the books.

My current job hired me because even though I was not certified when I got hired, they saw I had plenty of experience with all sorts of Cisco gear. From Layer 2 switches to large Enterprise Layer 3 core switches (6500's) and wireless. They did tell me that I needed to get certifed within 6 months.

I am currently working on my CCNP ROUTE and again they are paying for the books and any study material I need. My job highly encourages you to keep climing the Cisco ladder. When I'm not out doing installs or doing anything at customer sites or any remote work, I stay in the office and study all day long. Then when I get home after work I put a few more hours of study time.

The team I work with including my Boss consist of 6 guys. My boss, another Senior Engineer, and I have Cisco certs. The other 3 guys are more junior guys that are currently working towards their CCNA.

In my job we do A LOT of routing, switching, firewalls, and now wireless. So having these certs are almost a must.

I've always been a security guy and like to work on firewalls. So after the CCNP R&S, I'm going to go for the CCNP Security cert. As soon as the CCNP Security books come out I'm going to get them and start to go through them.

In my current job I have configured and installed over 100 Cisco ASA firewalls ranging from 5505's to 5520's.

I must say that my job will definitely support you and help you get Cisco certs. I'm very lucky with that. Unfortunately not all employers are like that. Before my current job I used to work for a consulting firm and they paid for NOTHING! Not even a book. They wanted you to get certified, but you got help with nothing. The company is a small, privately owned company that didn't care about you or their clients. They only cared about their bank accounts. Thank God I don't work there anymore!!!

Anyway, I hope that answered your question.
    Thanks! It certainly did answer my question inspiringly, however, it sparks a few more!...

Do you like the job? Is it intense/stressful? Pays well? How are the hours/days? Are they hiring?? ...lol... I'm kidding but not really, actually. Are you in the NY Metro area? That's great they take care of you like that. I'm from LI, NY and I'm actually scheduled to take the CCNA exam this coming Thursday. I've been busy lately with a number of other things so there's a small possibility I'll need to reschedule since I still have a few topics to cover & review, but I want to get this out of the way, so there's a good chance it will get done by then also. This depends on how my weekend goes and other circumstances, but in any case I should be done within a few weeks, the latest.

My overall plan was to complete the CCNA by the end of April, then move immediately on to the CCNA Security since I have the study material and that could optimistically be done by June... when I would activlely resume my job hunt having some new credentials on top of my degrees & previous experience, although I'd be open to opportunities that comes along before then...lol. I want to get my feet wet with Cisco since my networking experience basically consists of client/server tasks (user accounts, backups, etc.), other basic computer & network tasks, and more CIS type work experience with data and B2B.

After that, it would be a matter of selecting which CCNP to go after first to have by the end of this year, ultimately ending up with the CCNP Security in any case, possibly going on to the CCIE (although I wouldn't start that without real world experience). All this depends on finances as well, since the exams and materials need to be paid for & it adds up quick, and I am far from rich!

So, if they are hiring, it'd be nice to know the power of online networking is strong and I'd appreciate any help on top of what you've given already and if not, it was great to get some insight from someone who has something in common. I just joined the board and love it thus far! Thanks again for your input.

You can PM me as necessary. I tried to, but mine is not working apparently as of yet.
  • Options
    Thanks! It certainly did answer my question inspiringly, however, it sparks a few more!...

Do you like the job? Is it intense/stressful? Pays well? How are the hours/days? Are they hiring?? ...lol... I'm kidding but not really, actually. Are you in the NY Metro area? That's great they take care of you like that. I'm from LI, NY and I'm actually scheduled to take the CCNA exam this coming Thursday. I've been busy lately with a number of other things so there's a small possibility I'll need to reschedule since I still have a few topics to cover & review, but I want to get this out of the way, so there's a good chance it will get done by then also. This depends on how my weekend goes and other circumstances, but in any case I should be done within a few weeks, the latest.

My overall plan was to complete the CCNA by the end of April, then move immediately on to the CCNA Security since I have the study material and that could optimistically be done by June... when I would activlely resume my job hunt having some new credentials on top of my degrees & previous experience, although I'd be open to opportunities that comes along before then...lol. I want to get my feet wet with Cisco since my networking experience basically consists of client/server tasks (user accounts, backups, etc.), other basic computer & network tasks, and more CIS type work experience with data and B2B.

After that, it would be a matter of selecting which CCNP to go after first to have by the end of this year, ultimately ending up with the CCNP Security in any case, possibly going on to the CCIE (although I wouldn't start that without real world experience). All this depends on finances as well, since the exams and materials need to be paid for & it adds up quick, and I am far from rich!

So, if they are hiring, it'd be nice to know the power of online networking is strong and I'd appreciate any help on top of what you've given already and if not, it was great to get some insight from someone who has something in common. I just joined the board and love it thus far! Thanks again for your input.

You can PM me as necessary. I tried to, but mine is not working apparently as of yet.

Just PM'ed you.
    CCNP Security - DONE!