Options

Potential Job Dealbreaker - HELP!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
    Oh, yeah...I'm definitely waiting once everything clears on the new employer's end. Once that's done, then that's where my dilemma kicks in....give 2 weeks or **** them at the last minute?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh, yeah...I'm definitely waiting once everything clears on the new employer's end. Once that's done, then that's where my dilemma kicks in....give 2 weeks or **** them at the last minute?

You do what you are contractually obliged to do. Let the paperwork clear with the new mob. Once you have the job in the bag offer the mandatory notice period to your current employer. If they insist you work the notice period out simply let the new company know.

They will understand if they have to wait a few days for you because of contractual obligations.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't say jack to anyone till all your paperwork is back and all is in the clear.

+1. Don't do/say anything until every single document is signed and everything is clear at the new gig.

I recently switched jobs and had no other option but to give my old employer one week due to the time it took my new employer to clear paperwork. It is what it is.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since I'm contract
    What does your contract say?

My contracts usually required me to give 30 days notice if I was leaving before the contract end date -- and I'd get 2 weeks notice (and pay) if the contract ended early due to the customer.

My current contract is 30 days notice both ways. If I leave without any notice it will cost me a bunch of money.

Edit: Hum, post 10,000 icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Edit: Hum, post 10,000 icon_cheers.gif

First!!!!!

Congrats :)icon_thumright.gif Glad I came out of hiding for this.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    My contract is open-ended. I asked my agency for the paperwork I signed when I first started this gig and it said it ended in January. I was suppose to be full-time by then, but all it's been are extensions by the employer, not the agency. The agency has no clue about any of the extensions by the employer and they're just sitting back while I work my ass off. The paperwork states that the agency, the employer, or I can terminate the contract at anytime. I called the agency, but in a different city in TX, to get their perspective on this. They told me it's professional courtesy to give 2 weeks. I explained that I would do the 2 weeks, but since I'm contract, the employer can screw me over and cut me that day to start a search for a replacement. Then I'll be out 2 weeks pay before my new job starts. She said she understands both sides, so it's kind of up to me.

I'm planning is turning my paperwork in today, wait for background check/drug test, etc. to go through.

So if it happens to be next Wednesday everything is good to go with the new job, they are wanting me to start the following Monday. I'm going to continue to work at this hellhole til' Friday and then just leave as if they think I'm coming back on Monday. I'll just send an email from home to HR saying that I'm not coming back and I was offered a full-time, perm role. Why do I have to be courteous to let them know ahead of time? So they can screw me over on pay that my family needs? Screw that.

This hellhole doesn't owe me anything and they had their chances to put me on full-time. This bridge I can definitely burn.
  • Options
    My contract is open-ended. I asked my agency for the paperwork I signed when I first started this gig and it said it ended in January. I was suppose to be full-time by then, but all it's been are extensions by the employer, not the agency. The agency has no clue about any of the extensions by the employer and they're just sitting back while I work my ass off. The paperwork states that the agency, the employer, or I can terminate the contract at anytime. I called the agency, but in a different city in TX, to get their perspective on this. They told me it's professional courtesy to give 2 weeks. I explained that I would do the 2 weeks, but since I'm contract, the employer can screw me over and cut me that day to start a search for a replacement. Then I'll be out 2 weeks pay before my new job starts. She said she understands both sides, so it's kind of up to me.

I'm planning is turning my paperwork in today, wait for background check/drug test, etc. to go through.

So if it happens to be next Wednesday everything is good to go with the new job, they are wanting me to start the following Monday. I'm going to continue to work at this hellhole til' Friday and then just leave as if they think I'm coming back on Monday. I'll just send an email from home to HR saying that I'm not coming back and I was offered a full-time, perm role. Why do I have to be courteous to let them know ahead of time? So they can screw me over on pay that my family needs? Screw that.

This hellhole doesn't owe me anything and they had their chances to put me on full-time. This bridge I can definitely burn.

Not a good idea. Your career is still relatively young. If the new job doesn't work out you will want a decent reference from this agency, otherwise you will have 'form' on two concurrent jobs. I would wait until the paperwork is fine and dandy on the new job and then come clean straight away with your current employer. If that happens midweek offer to work the week out and see what comes back. If they let you go then you have a long weekend before starting the new job. It pays to have a break to detox from one job before starting another anyway.
  • Options
    Turgon, I don't need any references from the agency. There hasn't been very much communication with me the whole time I've worked for this employer. I will definitely not be using them as my agency for future IT jobs.

I'm sorry, but can you explain "you will have 'form' on two concurrent jobs"?

I'm definitely going to be patient on the paperwork with the new employer. Once everything is cleared and I'm given the green light, then I will proceed with my plan. If it doesn't work out with the new employer, then everything will be back the way it was and I'll just have to continue searching for jobs.
    If that happens midweek offer to work the week out and see what comes back. If they let you go then you have a long weekend before starting the new job. It pays to have a break to detox from one job before starting another anyway.

If I was full-time, then yes, I would provide the professional courtesy of 2 weeks. Since I'm contract, I will be out 2-3 days of no pay. My family can't afford that.

The relief I get that I will have no gap of pay and I'm starting fresh in a stable environment, that's my break of detox.
  • Options
    Turgon, I don't need any references from the agency. There hasn't been very much communication with me the whole time I've worked for this employer. I will definitely not be using them as my agency for future IT jobs.

I'm sorry, but can you explain "you will have 'form' on two concurrent jobs"?

I'm definitely going to be patient on the paperwork with the new employer. Once everything is cleared and I'm given the green light, then I will proceed with my plan. If it doesn't work out with the new employer, then everything will be back the way it was and I'll just have to continue searching for jobs.

If I was full-time, then yes, I would provide the professional courtesy of 2 weeks. Since I'm contract, I will be out 2-3 days of no pay. My family can't afford that.

The relief I get that I will have no gap of pay and I'm starting fresh in a stable environment, that's my break of detox.

You may not use the agency again for employment, but you might need them to vouch for you in the future for other jobs.

Lets say the new job stinks the house out, you get fired, walk or it just isn't working out and you just have to leave. At least if you have left this present job on civil terms you can fall back on that for a reference for any new position you are interested in. Turning in your cards at the end of a shift with no notice for your present contract wouldn't be a smart move. You could have two concecutive employers not singing your praises or simply ignoring requests to provide you with references, i.e you have 'form'. HR departments are wise to this and wont wait forever for them.

Of course you run the risk of being waxed anyway but that's the gamble, and if that happens then you would have to wait some days until the new job starts and without pay. I can appreciate that being difficult for you. Is there anyway you can have an understanding from the new people to be able to start asap based on the notice you agree with the existing contract? If they are reasonable people I would expect them to accommodate you so that if you do get ejected you can start more or less immediately.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    You may not use the agency again for employment, but you might need them to vouch for you in the future for other jobs.

I've never used previous employers to vouch for me on future jobs. For future employers, I've just kept a good relationship with my former co-workers/supervisors I can trust and have used them as my references because I know they will come through for me. The future employer only gets a hold of my previous employer through background check.

My previous employers, some I didn't leave on good terms, can't say much except how long I was employed with them, salary, start/end date. Anything else outside of that I think is illegal.
    Lets say the new job stinks the house out, you get fired, walk or it just isn't working out and you just have to leave. At least if you have left this present job on civil terms you can fall back on that for a reference for any new position you are interested in. Turning in your cards at the end of a shift with no notice for your present contract wouldn't be a smart move. You could have two concecutive employers not singing your praises or simply ignoring requests to provide you with references, i.e you have 'form'. HR departments are wise to this and wont wait forever for them.

The thing is, I'm in a contract, but not really according to the agency. All the employer is doing is just extending my network account.....no paperwork to the agency stating that I'm here to a certain date. When I have talked with my agency about this, they have no clue what's going on. From their demeanor on the phone, all they care about is the $ they are making off me. So it's up to me if I want to terminate this contract, unless the agency/employer does it before me. With this current job I'm in, I'm voluntarily resigning from the position and not a termination, which is what I want.

And I don't need references from either employer.....I have a few people from my current employer and previous employers who will have my back if I need a reference. I've had good luck so far for every job I've had since my 1st full-time IT role.
    Of course you run the risk of being waxed anyway but that's the gamble, and if that happens then you would have to wait some days until the new job starts and without pay. I can appreciate that being difficult for you. Is there anyway you can have an understanding from the new people to be able to start asap based on the notice you agree with the existing contract? If they are reasonable people I would expect them to accommodate you so that if you do get ejected you can start more or less immediately.

The new employer when I told them I'm contract, they thought I was full-time. They're more interested in bringing me on ASAP, so it's just up to me when I can start with them.
  • Options
    I've never used previous employers to vouch for me on future jobs. For future employers, I've just kept a good relationship with my former co-workers/supervisors I can trust and have used them as my references because I know they will come through for me. The future employer only gets a hold of my previous employer through background check.

My previous employers, some I didn't leave on good terms, can't say much except how long I was employed with them, salary, start/end date. Anything else outside of that I think is illegal.

The thing is, I'm in a contract, but not really according to the agency. All the employer is doing is just extending my network account.....no paperwork to the agency stating that I'm here to a certain date. When I have talked with my agency about this, they have no clue what's going on. From their demeanor on the phone, all they care about is the $ they are making off me. So it's up to me if I want to terminate this contract, unless the agency/employer does it before me. With this current job I'm in, I'm voluntarily resigning from the position and not a termination, which is what I want.

And I don't need references from either employer.....I have a few people from my current employer and previous employers who will have my back if I need a reference. I've had good luck so far for every job I've had since my 1st full-time IT role.

The new employer when I told them I'm contract, they thought I was full-time. They're more interested in bringing me on ASAP, so it's just up to me when I can start with them.

Everything in life is a risk. If you feel you have the bases covered simply do what is in your best interest.

It seems your new employer would have you start as soon as you are available so once you have all the paperwork in I would be inclined to call the agency and tell them you have accepted an offer of permanent employment but as a courtesy to the customer you are ready to work out a brief notice if that is what they want to do. Or simply tell the people you work for direct and tell them you are now going to let the agency know.

But if the new job wouldn't take you on the very next day if your contract is terminated and money is tight then that's a different matter. Just finish Friday and tell them late in the day. Not much more you can do really.

In some job applications they do ask for references from your last two employers, even if they are contract jobs. Im sure you will go well in your next job and that's the main thing!
  • Options
    It sucks I have to do it this way and it's a risk in the long run, but I have to think more about my family and my career.

I thought I was going to be full-time 3 months ago and instead, I'm still working contract w/ no benefits. It really sucks. They appreciate my work and the rest of the employees do to, but the management doesn't want to invest in me and that makes me feel underappreciated and not welcome to be part of the company.

Now I have a new employer who from the get-go has wanted me before and after the interview. They jumped on giving me the offer and want to start me right away. Now that makes me feel I will be an asset to a team and hopefully they can see someone they can invest in long-term.

All I have to do is just wait for the background check, drug test, etc. to go through....then sayonara to this hellhole!
  • Options
    It sucks I have to do it this way and it's a risk in the long run, but I have to think more about my family and my career.

I thought I was going to be full-time 3 months ago and instead, I'm still working contract w/ no benefits. It really sucks. They appreciate my work and the rest of the employees do to, but the management doesn't want to invest in me and that makes me feel underappreciated and not welcome to be part of the company.

Now I have a new employer who from the get-go has wanted me before and after the interview. They jumped on giving me the offer and want to start me right away. Now that makes me feel I will be an asset to a team and hopefully they can see someone they can invest in long-term.

All I have to do is just wait for the background check, drug test, etc. to go through....then sayonara to this hellhole!

Go for it and good luck in that new job! Im sure you will fly there. If you want any advice while you settle in just PM me.
  • Options
    Appreciate the talk, Turgon.

Definitely I will be posting again of the escapades of my IT career. If for some reason it doesn't work out with this new job, I'll be back asking for more help!

Good luck to me!
  • Options
    Update:

After my background check and drug test, I have passed and I start my new job on 5/9! Praise the Lord that I'm out of this **** and into a new environment!

Let's just pray that everything goes well with the new job.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    FixOSGuyFixOSGuy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job scoring the new gig. icon_cheers.gif