Options

Who has posted their resume on Craigslist?

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
For those who don't know, you can post your resume on craigslist.org by browsing to https://post.craigslist.org/ and clicking on "resume/job wanted".

I'm going to do it later towards the end of this month, but I'm curious to hear from anyone who has had any success at this method of job searching and any tips you might have.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Should you keep your name on the resume or blank it out?
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I done that before and also listed my resume on Dice. Got about the same amount of calls and mostly from recruiters. Also, I got some "You just won a sweepstake." calls as well which is obviously phony. I know it was from craigslist because I put my google voice number on there.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    make sure to post your resume on craigslist with a short description of yourself. People dont want to bother making a new post and be bothered by having floods of people email them. theyd rather use craigslist's search function for words like "help desk" "computer" "desktop" "support" "technician" etc etc. I posted mine saying i was even interested for intern or volunteer work for exp. Within two weeks, i had about 15 or so intern and volunteer interview emails. and about 3 real job requests. (as well as the spam/scam emails you have to avoid). Make four(max duplicate post limit) for each area of your city. In my case I did the boroughs of NYC. You may also think that your listings will fall far down the list. but dont worry, employers will use the search feature.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did this a long time ago. I just copy and pasted my resume and posted it. I removed my name and contact info and stated at the bottom that I will only reply to people providing info about their companies, their contact info, and an offer of an IT related job.

I ended up landing one job this way because a recruiter found my resume on craigslist.

You'll get about a hundred emails from people offering you sales jobs.
  • Options
    Good advice here, I really appreciate it guys. I'm going to do it. Should I do it right now? I wouldn't be able to start for 3 more weeks....actually when I type that question out I think I know the answer already icon_lol.gif

So don't post your email or phone number and let them contact you via craigslist, right?
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    ehnde wrote: »
    Good advice here, I really appreciate it guys. I'm going to do it. Should I do it right now? I wouldn't be able to start for 3 more weeks....actually when I type that question out I think I know the answer already icon_lol.gif

So don't post your email or phone number and let them contact you via craigslist, right?

Either don't post them, or create an email especially for this purpose (or an email alias). As for the phone, just use a google voice number. So if you get too many spams, drop that number and create another.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options

Nope don't post your contact info. Your inbox will get a lot of useless emails from people who didn't bother reading your resume. Have you tried using Dice or Career Builder? I get tons of related emails and calls from that every day. The jobs are usually way over my head or pay too low especially compared to what I make now. It's worth a try though. Probably a better bet than Craigslist. With Craigslist I have better luck applying to job postings on there than posting my resume. This is just my own experience though and I bet there's tons of people who have had differing experience than me.
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    I swear by it depending on the area you live in. I live in SF Bay and it's how I got my job a Cisco. It also landed me another interview with a different position at Cisco, and a job offer at another smaller company, and many other direct interviews. All in all, it's been a good deal for me. But maybe SF Bay is special, since it's so big here.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    tech.me.nowtech.me.now Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice information. I am definitely going to do this. Thanks!
  • Options
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Nope don't post your contact info. Your inbox will get a lot of useless emails from people who didn't bother reading your resume. Have you tried using Dice or Career Builder? I get tons of related emails and calls from that every day. The jobs are usually way over my head or pay too low especially compared to what I make now. It's worth a try though. Probably a better bet than Craigslist. With Craigslist I have better luck applying to job postings on there than posting my resume. This is just my own experience though and I bet there's tons of people who have had differing experience than me.

I'm using every major job seeking site used in the United States. Craigslist is my attempt at exhausting all possibilities. It worked for millworx :D
  • Options
    I'm using every major job seeking site used in the United States. Craigslist is my attempt at exhausting all possibilities. It worked for millworx :D

Oh yeah of course. I've had good luck with CL for jobs among other things. In recent years got one job applying to an ad on CL and another that I mentioned above by just posting my resume like you're doing.
  • Options
    Stormy4757Stormy4757 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been reading everyone's comments but I am not finding the answer I am looking for. I posted my resume on Craigslist and did NOT include my contact info. However, I have now gotten two calls from recruiters telling me that they found my resume on Craigslist. How are they finding out whose resume it is? I cannot get a straight answer from them. Does somebody have the answer?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I wouldn't post a resume on craigslist. I have mine on monster, indeed, careerbuilder and linked in. Just my 2 cents.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. Is it possible that you posted it somewhere else and hits are coming from there? Or perhaps your info is very specific and they can search and find who you are via LinkedIn or other information rich profiles.