Options

Installing a Cisco IOS on a switch and a router

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I know this is a noob thread topic but, hey, I'm a Cisco noob.
I have a couple 2950 switches (also a 1721 and 2611 router)and have been trying to find exactly how to install the IOS and haven't found instructions that the common noob like I can follow.
Can some of you Cisco experts out there enlighten a noob like myself.
Thanks in advance
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    solidxnakesolidxnake Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    earweed wrote: »
    I know this is a noob thread topic but, hey, I'm a Cisco noob.
    I have a couple 2950 switches (also a 1721 and 2611 router)and have been trying to find exactly how to install the IOS and haven't found instructions that the common noob like I can follow.
    Can some of you Cisco experts out there enlighten a noob like myself.
    Thanks in advance

Do they have existing code IOS on them? or are they booting to ROMMON and SWITCH?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Edit: Just realized you're asking for 2950's. Check this link instead.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I traditionally use TFTPD32 : an opensource TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server

PM me if you need any extra help Earweed ;)
  • Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's how I would do it. After you have the IOS file that you want to use:
    1. Download a copy of TFTP32 and install it.
    2. Copy your IOS image into the TFTP32 directory.
    3. Set a static IP address on your computer that is in the same subnet as the router or switch you want to flash. Hook up an ethernet cable to an interface on the router or switch. Straight-through if it's a switch;crossover if it's a router. Test it by pinging the ip address of an interface of the router or the vlan1 interface of the switch.
    4. Hook up a console cable to the console port of the switch or router. Open a console session to your router or switch. I use teraterm, but hyperterminal or putty will work too. Copy the IOS file from the tftp server (TFTP32) to the router or switch. The command is copy tftp flash. It will ask you for the source and destination file name of the IOS image. Make sure you copy it correctly. It will also ask you if you want to delete the contents of flash. I would back up the current IOS file in flash to your tftp server just in case. The command is copy flash tftp. It will ask you for the IP of the tftp server. This is the static IP address that you set on your PC.

If it doesn't work, check to see if something is blocking the tftp session. You might have to turn off the Windows firewall, or open a port to allow tftp through. Also, make sure you have enough flash and dram to handle your new IOS image. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Let us know if we can help you out.
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+