Options

Working for a Service Provider..?

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
After the longest interview of my life.. literally almost 2 hours.. 45 Mins spent on a 8 page "test", followed by another 30 mins of verbal question, then finally speaking about the position... I've been offered a job as Network Engineer for a large ISP.. I told them I'd consider it and I'll call em back after the weekend...

I just don't know... going back and working for a large company where I will feel like a number (just doesn't sit well with me) ...... Plus I can't imagine what the experience will be like at an ISP, I mean in an environment with that, is their even a need for packet analysis? (It would blow my plans of getting the WCNA.. and the CWNA since their won't be much wireless work)... I guess I'd be a straight Cisco/Juniper guy from that point on. Not a bad idea, hell if it presented itself 6 months ago I'd be absolutely ecstatic... But Wireless has caught my interest (hell I got the CWNA Library on order already should have it late next week). Plus would working for an ISP limit my options my the future as far networking?

Anyone have experience with an ISP?
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    After the longest interview of my life.. literally almost 2 hours.. 45 Mins spent on a 8 page "test", followed by another 30 mins of verbal question, then finally speaking about the position... I've been offered a job as Network Engineer for a large ISP.. I told them I'd consider it and I'll call em back after the weekend...

I just don't know... going back and working for a large company where I will feel like a number (just doesn't sit well with me) ...... Plus I can't imagine what the experience will be like at an ISP, I mean in an environment with that, is their even a need for packet analysis? (It would blow my plans of getting the WCNA.. and the CWNA since their won't be much wireless work)... I guess I'd be a straight Cisco/Juniper guy from that point on. Not a bad idea, hell if it presented itself 6 months ago I'd be absolutely ecstatic... But Wireless has caught my interest (hell I got the CWNA Library on order already should have it late next week). Plus would working for an ISP limit my options my the future as far networking?
    Anyone have experience with an ISP?

Packet analysis is used (basing this on my experience at an "ISP/Managed Services firm). Why do you feel you would be limited by working at an ISP? I think that could be a very good move for you. Adding CCIP and a WCNA to your existing set would be probably make you a badass network engineer. Who knows you could end up being a CCIE in a few years. Take the job.

Get CWNA if you want but don't let you that be the reason to stop you from a good position.
  • Options
    My current environment I support Cisco, VMWare, Windows, Cisco Wireless, Cisco Firewalls, all across multiple sites... Gives me potential for some CWNP Certs, VCP, & maybe more Professional level Cisco certs with enough time.. (Of course all that would take a lot of time and work to get, but I'd be getting the day-by-day experience). A part of me likes working with these technologies, I like seeing the big picture.

At an ISP I'd be limited to Cisco, Juniper, & Firewalls. (Or at least I think)... They have a lab that previous employees have used to acquire their CCIE (probably the best part of the whole thing in my opinion, I mean I know it would require a lot work but an ISP certainly seems like the perfect place to study for CCIE)

The other thing that makes me uneasy, it's a contract to hire position (and they said they offer the position at the end of contract IF the position is available), I've been in my current position for 4 years now... I guess you would say I'm comfortable I've got stability... Do I want to give that up for a contract.. The contract thing just sits uneasy with me.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current environment I support Cisco, VMWare, Windows, Cisco Wireless, Cisco Firewalls, all across multiple sites... Gives me potential for some CWNP Certs, VCP, & maybe more Professional level Cisco certs with enough time.. (Of course all that would take a lot of time and work to get, but I'd be getting the day-by-day experience). A part of me likes working with these technologies, I like seeing the big picture.

At an ISP I'd be limited to Cisco, Juniper, & Firewalls. (Or at least I think)... They have a lab that previous employees have used to acquire their CCIE (probably the best part of the whole thing in my opinion, I mean I know it would require a lot work but an ISP certainly seems like the perfect place to study for CCIE)

The other thing that makes me uneasy, it's a contract to hire position (and they said they offer the position at the end of contract IF the position is available), I've been in my current position for 4 years now... I guess you would say I'm comfortable I've got stability... Do I want to give that up for a contract.. The contract thing just sits uneasy with me.

How long is the contract and how well known is the isp in your area? Are you single? Married? Wage increase? W2?

Like could having the name on your resume change your prospects? Idk man that's tough. I had to make the same call like 2 years ago. The job change raised my wage by like 20k BUT I was there for about 7 months. It did however change my salary level and I have remained at the level I was raised to since then (which is a good thing).

Tough call.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

[epic tiger blood rant]

I hear ya. I feel at this point it comes down to what your exit strategies are in case the job really isn't available at the end of the contract and where you want to be in the future of IT.

Let's weigh some things out:

Being at your current place for that long would most likely signify you have some kind of tenur and I'm sure references would not be an issue (as long as the break is clean).

Do you have money saved up incase things turn sideways?

Big picture wise, if there is no mobility at your current workplace you might want to start looking into that contract as well as other opportunities. I would say keep your eye out for the next job as you're approaching the half way point of the contract (assuming you take it) then at the end of the contract you have something to fall back on.

In the end, you should do what you love and do what makes you happy. It comes down to a few elements; love, health and wealth. Wealth is determined by what is feasible for you expense wise and what your cost of living is in a given location. Health is mental, physical, and spiritual. Love is determination, passion, and desire. If you can feel your current workplace is giving you all that and there is a chance for mobility in the coming future (1-3 years), I would probably reconsider before risking that built stability.

If you've started a family of your own, in my op, they should come first. If you're in an extremely good spot (backup wise) and you could easily handle the worst case scenario then that could also weigh in in your decision; the economy is recovering but its definitely no where near where it used to be. If the answer is no, thats another thing to consider.

I know my rant is kind of off the wall, but I hope it helps.

[/epic tiger blood rant]
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Do you want to move? It seems to me you already have a role there that is helping you with your technology aspirations. The contract to hire situation raises a flag with me. How long is the contract?

Considering that you have already talked your way into an ISP network engineer role with what you have going for you then this is certainly something you could do in the future if you pass it up now. That's a positive. Some of the these roles work a lot of unsocial hours and carry with them a great deal of pressure so it's really not something you want to embark upon unless you are 100% ready for all the commitment that entails.

I shouldn't worry about the Cisco lab sweetener. If you are effective in the new role you might find yourself too busy to use it.

If you are already permanent in the current gig you will need to think this one through carefully.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input, you guys give me a bit more consider with this.
    Turgon wrote: »
    The contract to hire situation raises a flag with me.

Why does it raise a flag to you?
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work for a cellular telecommunications service provider as a data network engineer, packet analysis is done all the time to troubleshoot issues with slow 4G at cellsites.

I have some details about the CCNA Service Provider 2 test/class that I have taken here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp-service-provider/84257-i-am-taking-ccna-service-provider-certification-class-640-878-spngn2.html
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Thanks for all your input, you guys give me a bit more consider with this.

Why does it raise a flag to you?

C2H is used and abused by service providers who simply do not want to pay someone full-time and who don't want to pay a 10K or more hiring fee to staffing agencies because it would break their budgets. I've never had a C2H stint lead to a job. Ever. I've worked dozens of them and never had any reason given straight to my face as to why they won't hire me. It's cheaper for companies to string you along for as along as they can get away with than it is to hire you directly or from a staffing agency.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Lots of folks here have asked how long is the contract, do you not want to answer? I would consider the position if the contract is at least 1 year.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's because the thread is almost 2 years old..lol
  • Options
    Yea this is a quite an old thread. Not sure how it came to life again. Either I didn't take the contract and took a different job. Direct hire.
    My Networking blog