Options

Connecting to an XP file share from windows 7

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys, this one is probably simple but I just can't figure it out.

My laptop is a windows 7 professional and I have a desktop that is XP media center. I have a share set up on the xp that I used to access from my vista laptop with no problem.

When I try to connect with windows 7,([URL="file://\\192.168.0.4"]\\192.168.0.4[/URL]) I am prompted with a login screen. No surprise here, neither computer is in a domain. The trouble is that I can enter a username and a password, but domain says the name of my windows 7 machine and doesn't allow me to change this.

So how do I log in? I can't use a username/password from the xp machine because it is looking in my SAM. But I can't use username/password from my machine because it has no permissions on the other side.

Maybe if I created a user on each pc with the same username and password, but the SID is still going to be different...

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Hey guys, this one is probably simple but I just can't figure it out.

My laptop is a windows 7 professional and I have a desktop that is XP media center. I have a share set up on the xp that I used to access from my vista laptop with no problem.

When I try to connect with windows 7,([URL="file://\\192.168.0.4"]\\192.168.0.4[/URL]) I am prompted with a login screen. No surprise here, neither computer is in a domain. The trouble is that I can enter a username and a password, but domain says the name of my windows 7 machine and doesn't allow me to change this.

So how do I log in? I can't use a username/password from the xp machine because it is looking in my SAM. But I can't use username/password from my machine because it has no permissions on the other side.

Maybe if I created a user on each pc with the same username and password, but the SID is still going to be different...

Thanks

If you are just in a workgroup, youll need to turn off Homegroup and password protected sharing on the Win7 machine. Then create the same credentials (including password) on the Win7 machine as you have on the XP machine.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Enter in your credentials as targetmachine\username. Just like you do with a domain except you're specifying the machine instead of a domain.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    Enter in your credentials as targetmachine\username. Just like you do with a domain except you're specifying the machine instead of a domain.

My machines wouldnt let me do this. It had always said guest or it flat out wouldn't except my cred.
  • Options

Good call. Don't know why I didn't think of this. The second you type the \ character it changes the domain. I expect using a UPN would work too.

The only problem is that I'm being told the credentials are wrong. I just walked over to the machine and logged in locally with no issue using the same username and password combo.

I also used copy and paste for the connect and the "domain" to make sure there wasn't a type there.

Edit:

UPN works too, [EMAIL="User@Computer"]User@Computer[/EMAIL]

But I'm still told my credentials are invalid. I'm gonna go check out the security settings. The user is an administrator already
  • Options
    For the Guest only credentials try disabling simple file sharing on the machine, that should allow you to specify credentials.

If it is telling you your credentials are invalid and you have the right machine name, account and password then most likely the security on the share isn't letting you in.
  • Options
    For the Guest only credentials try disabling simple file sharing on the machine, that should allow you to specify credentials.

If it is telling you your credentials are invalid and you have the right machine name, account and password then most likely the security on the share isn't letting you in.

I tried and tried. You can see on 7forums this is pretty common issue with XP to 7 shares.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sometimes using \username (without the name of the computer in front) will work too.

The password isn't blank is it? I don't think that's allowed when connecting remotely.

You could try enabling security auditing on Logon events.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Sometimes using \username (without the name of the computer in front) will work too.

The password isn't blank is it? I don't think that's allowed when connecting remotely.

You could try enabling security auditing on Logon events.

Password is not blank, and you are correct. By default, blank passwords are only allowed for console logins. (You can change this with group policy, but it shouldn't matter since you shouldn't use a blank password to begin with). Just an extra security step Microsoft adds in for novice users who don't use a password.
  • Options
    It dawned on me that my XP machine was in a non default workgroup. I changed my Windows 7 machine to the same one but still can't get in.

I changed the HomeGroup connections setting to use user accounts and passwords to connect instead of allowing windows to mange. No change

Left my homegroup. No change

I'm running out of ideas here...

Turned off password Protected sharing on my 7 machine. (Didn't expect it to work, but why not give it a try) No change

I disabled all of my VM networks because they were showing up as unidentified networks. No change

I am already set to home network
  • Options
    Try disabling SMB2 on the Windows 7 workstation. From a command prompt:

sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
    sc config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

Then reboot the system and see if it works.
    To re-enable later on you can run:

sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Note there is no space before the = and a space afterwords. sc is picky like that.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I think you have to install a hotfix on the XP machine, to allow the non-xp machine to see it. This happened to me with a Vista machine not being able to see an XP share...even though the problem was with the Vista machine, the hotfix is run on the XP machine.

Link below also suggests adding the same user/pw on both machines.

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

Read a little more here, HTH:
    Windows 7 will not connect to xp pc - fails with cannot access \\computer name
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should also try turning off all firewalls and any other security software that might block the connection, and then try it. You should be able to just see the shares in "Network" on 7 and "My Network Places" on XP, you shouldn't need to connect via the IP.
  • Options
    Did you try making the same creds on both systems? Stay out of homegroup, it will only work for other 7 machines. Turn on file sharing, turn off password protected sharing, turn off HG. Make a local account on both PCs with the same username and pass. Set permissions for said user on the share and NTFS.