Options

Do You Have Any Questions

cleveohcleveoh Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a possible interview this coming week and I am always at a loss for the proverbial "do you have any questions", what are some good questions to ask?

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I always ask how the work environment is and how the team (if you are part of a team) works and the experience of the members on the team.

Typically ask questions that pertain the work area and how the company can benefit you (paying for certs, master degree, etc). If their are any retirement stuff (401k / pension). I always like asking about retirement because it gives the person you are interviewing a good feeling that you will be staying with the company for a while (turn over sucks).

Always seem interested to know more about your work / company.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very valid and good points there by higherho.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Ask about retirement benefit, vacation plans, education reimbursement, cert reimbursement, and possibility of upward mobility.

Even if you don't care about any of them.

It shows the interviewer that you're thinking long term and not just looking for a paycheck
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I always ask how the position is evaluated. Also if there is anything about the position that wasn't in the job posting. Always nice to know the advancement path etc. as well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Ask about what some of their major problems on the floor are. It'll give you an idea of what you're getting into and let you present some ideas on how to address them.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I always ask why the position is open. Did the previous person leave, were they promoted, or is the position open due to growth, etc.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Picture yourself working there.

If you don't have a vivid picture, ask questions until you do.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ask what their current and short term high importance projects are. Explain how your expertise and education can contribute to those projects.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Make the interviewer talk about themselves. Ask them:

What brought you to this company?
    What do they enjoy about their job?
    Where do they see the dept/company 5 years from now?

I used those three on my last interview (3 yrs ago) and got the job. The employer said no one has ever asked them how they feel, and he thought that was a good thing to find out about.

Also, if the company has a direct competitor, try to find out who it is, and ask them how their product/services, etc stack up against XYZ.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I always try to ask questions that upsell myself a little bit more. After all it is usually the end of an interview.

One I like to ask is "Does your company have any sort of professional development programs that employees can take advantage of to further their education?"