Options

AUX, Console and VTY Passwords

Varez ITVarez IT Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does Cisco have an official order in which these commands must be set? Please see the output below running on GNS3, with a Version 12.1(3)XT2) IOS, then please allow me to explain further.

R1(config)#line aux 0
R1(config-line)#login
R1(config-line)#password cisco
R1(config-line)#^Z
R1#
00:01:19: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
R1#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
R1(config)#line console 0
R1(config-line)#login
R1(config-line)#^Z
R1#
00:03:07: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
R1#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
R1(config)#line vty 0 4
R1(config-line)#login
R1(config-line)#^Z
R1#
00:03:42: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
R1#

1. Shouldn't the password command come before the login command? The Sybex study guide mentioned that some IOS versions will not allow you to use the password command until you configure the login command because if you don't set a password the router/switch will prompt you for a password that doesn't exist.

2. Are there any differences in order when setting the passwords in the console, auxiliary or telnet connections?

Any help is much appreciated. Also, if this post doesn't make sense and you would like further clarification then please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Varez IT wrote: »
    1. Shouldn't the password command come before the login command?
    Nope, it will work either way as long as you enter both commands. IIRC, when entering login before password, it warns that passwords is not set yet, and does not take effect until you set one.
    Varez IT wrote: »
    2. Are there any differences in order when setting the passwords in the console, auxiliary or telnet connections?
    No difference at all.

HTH :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    Varez ITVarez IT Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ChooseLife,

Thank you very much for your help.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    n/p, good luck with your studies :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs