Options

Best MCSE book?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I just started with the MCSE and I'm looking for a good book to start out?

Microsoft is offering this kit:

MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows 2000 Core Requirements, Second Edition, Exams 70-210, 70-215, 70-216, 70-217

Is this kit any good?

What books do you recommend when starting out with the MCSE?

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    They're probably the best to start with. But, supplement them with other guides. Also, set up at least 2 PCs so that you can get a M$ domain going so that you can work the examples in these books. The hardware requirements for these OSs are really not that heavy, and a couple of older 200-300 MHZ PCs will do fine if you don't want to risk messing up your own personal PC.

The kit gives you evaluation versions of the OSs that you need so that you don't have to pay for the full version of Server OSs.

I would advise that you not be afraid to spend a little money to get yourself set up. Generally the books and the PCs will last through a lot of lab exercises and installs. And, if you can afford to set up this little 2-PC lab, don't be afraid to wipe it clean and reinstall everything more that one time. That's a good way to get the basics in your mind and, more importantly, establish your habits. Besides, that's where all the fun is!

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    I did some more research.

Should I even bother with the Windows 2000 certification when the Windows 2003 certification is out?
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    RZetlin wrote:
    I did some more research.

Should I even bother with the Windows 2000 certification when the Windows 2003 certification is out?

I think MS press is good....

I would, then upgrade icon_wink.gif