Options

Job interview today

I have an interview for Frys Electronics today Im super stoked but Im a bit scared of being asked a question I dont know! I'd really like to work there.

Comments

• Options
    redmondredmond Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have an interview for Frys Electronics today Im super stoked but Im a bit scared of being asked a question I dont know! I'd really like to work there.

Let us know how your interview went?
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck, and if you don't know an answer, don't lie about it.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Don't worry, man. Most of the jobs I've gotten I didn't even know half the questions asked. Be professional, be confident in what you DO know, don't lie and you will be good to go. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    Ok I had 2 interviews with Frys today. I applied as a Sales Associate hoping to get my foot in the door.
    So the first interview was with the Department manager for the computer section and it went really well. He did not ask me anything i could not answer. . He then said ok well let me see if the Assistant store manager is available to interview you. so I waited and was granted an interview.
    The second interview Im not so sure went so smooth. I tried my best but I think I came off as very nervous. The Assistant Manager at one point asked me to sell him a video game or video game console. So I tried to pitch him a PS3. At the end he said it was decent but he had "alot of criticism" but the fact that he was criticizing it meant he was still considering me. At the end he said he would keep my application and continue to consider me against the other applicants.
    So i hope i get the job!
  • Options
    boxvicboxvic Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate jobs like that, that are all based on selling people stuff they don't want or need- especially with no commission. True story, I was once kicked out of local computer repair/sales store when I questioned the managers idea of customer service.

I put it to him straight, his idea of customer service was get what I can now to look good and pretend it has no consequences. You screw people and eventually the figure it out and don't come back. You give people exactly what they need and they remember and come back. He told me I was wrong, that customers don't know what they need until you tell them what they need, and they will come back because they have to. Seriously, that was his idea of customer service.

I've worked a few non-commissioned non-sell retail jobs, and I can say that while some customers are... difficult, the non-sell approach is by-far the best. Don't make people regret buying what they leave with, and they will come back. Be nice, friendly, and not pushy and they will come back. We've all been in the situation too where we ask an associate for help and we can instantly tell if he is feeding us a line to pad his commission or telling us the truth.

Any interview that includes me selling a hypothetical product sets of red flags for me.

That rant on retail sales finished though, I do wish you good luck. If you are trying to get into an electronics field demonstrable experience at the consumer end is very helpful.