I can haz Resume?

SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Critique? :)

2zgcmdk.png
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I don't know, I feel like I'm looking at an advertisement in a computer magazine. It's interesting but I just don't know. The only thing I know is that I don't like the certification logo's. Those should go. Otherwise... I don't know. I need to digest it for a bit.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    phantasm wrote: »
    I don't know, I feel like I'm looking at an advertisement in a computer magazine. It's interesting but I just don't know. The only thing I know is that I don't like the certification logo's. Those should go. Otherwise... I don't know. I need to digest it for a bit.

My thoughts exactly.... Not sure if it would work for you or not. Its definitely unique, but thats not always a good thing in the corporate world.

Logos are tacky IMO, but I know there are some people here who have had success with them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The top section is a little offputting. I like the section under the blue. It's concise and well arranged.

I'd recommend maybe using a blue bar to seperate the header section, instead of backfilling the entire section.

And the logo arrangement doesn't really work, it looks a bit tacky, and it's also highly redundant, given that the section immediately underneath it lists your certifications again.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's definitely catchy, though I am not sure if I like it. Is that all the experience you have, just with the one company? Nothing before? It also looks like the frame on the right (the skills/applications bit) is just filler material. If this frame werent there, your resume would be too skinny. Is AD really an application, isnt it more like an infrastructure system?

I think one of our members, Paul Boz has a similar resume and he hasnt had a problem with it. Interesting to see what other members have to say.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    It's definitely catchy, though I am not sure if I like it. Is that all the experience you have, just with the one company?

My read on it is that it probably is. He graduated from ITT in 2007, which is also the start date of that job, so I'm guessing he's relatively young, and that it was his first 'real' job.
  • Options
    girdavid178girdavid178 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice, I like it.... :))
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    skype never saved me $30,000.
    please explain?

Everything else looks good. I would say get rid of the blue but keep everything the way it is. maybe keep it all white.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »

I thought it was all about showcasing and advertising ourselves. :) I added the logo's 'cause I thought it added a little flavor to the resume, and made it stand out a little more. :)
    My thoughts exactly.... Not sure if it would work for you or not. Its definitely unique, but thats not always a good thing in the corporate world.

Logos are tacky IMO, but I know there are some people here who have had success with them.

I can remove them, but I haven't applied for any jobs using this resume or anything. Thought I'd get some feedback first from my fellow friends @ TechExams. :)
    The top section is a little offputting. I like the section under the blue. It's concise and well arranged.

I'd recommend maybe using a blue bar to seperate the header section, instead of backfilling the entire section.

And the logo arrangement doesn't really work, it looks a bit tacky, and it's also highly redundant, given that the section immediately underneath it lists your certifications again.

Thanks! Good idea! I'll try a blue bar instead of the colored background. I'll post it on here as soon as I re-edit it. icon_wink.gif

That's true. I thought that if I added the logo's, it would be a definite "eye-catcher" to an HR recruiter before he or she even has the chance to read my resume. Kinda makes it stand out a little more, but I think the "mob" has spoken. Haha! icon_razz.gif
    Essendon wrote: »
    It's definitely catchy, though I am not sure if I like it. Is that all the experience you have, just with the one company? Nothing before? It also looks like the frame on the right (the skills/applications bit) is just filler material. If this frame werent there, your resume would be too skinny. Is AD really an application, isnt it more like an infrastructure system?

I think one of our members, Paul Boz has a similar resume and he hasnt had a problem with it. Interesting to see what other members have to say.

Yeah, honestly that's all the experience I've got. Just one company, for almost 4 years now. I like being stable instead of moving around from job to job, year to year. In my mind, I figure that companies like people who are stable at one job. When I apply for other jobs, they'll see that stability and know I won't go anywhere and leave at the drop of a dime when and if I find something better. Nothing before, haha. I've viewed a ton of other people's resume's and they all have some kind of 'Skills' section. Not really a filler, just wanted to keep it a bit consistent with other IT resumes. Disregard the formatting though, lol. icon_redface.gif I know it's an infrastructure, but I needed some place to add that onto my skills. Thought software apps was the "best" suit. I'll remove it off of there and add it somewhere in my experience.

Thanks for the input! :)
    My read on it is that it probably is. He graduated from ITT in 2007, which is also the start date of that job, so I'm guessing he's relatively young, and that it was his first 'real' job.

Yup, as it says. I graduated back in 2007. I got my job as a sys admin before I graduated. Been there ever since! Relatively young is right, haha. icon_wink.gif

'Real' job? Lol.
    Nice, I like it.... :))

Thanks! :)
    please explain?

Everything else looks good. I would say get rid of the blue but keep everything the way it is. maybe keep it all white.

My company is a non-profit organization. You can probably piece it together from my listed experience. We needed a way to do remote supervisions with staff while they were on the go. One of our other IT personnel recommended we go for Adobe Connect. Got a quote for it from Adobe with a non-profit discount and it amounted to around $30,000. There was no way we could really do that since we're tight on spending and our budget. I recommended we go for Skype Premium since it's only about $9 per account, per month. We got about 10 licenses for 10 different offices. Each supervisor had an account, and they were able to run supervisions with up to 10 different staff at the same time. Ultimately, Adobe Connect does the same thing, except it has a bit more nifty features. Won't go into them, but my company went with Skype, implemented it, and now we've rolled them out, and everyone loves the convenience of it. Good enough answer? icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The one thing I noticed was WGU is based in SLC, not LA.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Thanks! Good idea! I'll try a blue bar instead of the colored background. I'll post it on here as soon as I re-edit it. icon_wink.gif

That's true. I thought that if I added the logo's, it would be a definite "eye-catcher" to an HR recruiter before he or she even has the chance to read my resume. Kinda makes it stand out a little more, but I think the "mob" has spoken. Haha! icon_razz.gif

Well, you're right in that it stands out, and it caught the eye, but not in a good way. Someone mentioned Boz's resume, and if you can find the thread where he posted it, that's an example of a resume with logos that work. You have to be careful in the design to make them work well. I'm sure you could incorporate them, but it has to flow naturally. I actually do use logo's on my resume, but I only use two. I couldn't make it work with all of them without looking really ugly. And with that many Cisco logos, the first reaction most folks would have is 'we get it, you've got cisco certs'.

But I think if you use a blue bar as a seperator, it's plenty eye catching enough. Get rid of that big blotch of blue, and I'd say the colorization and the shading is just perfect for catching the eye. It's a damn sight better than the majority of resumes I've seen.

Oh, one other critique... I'd recommend not using the term jack of all trades in the header, especially if you're applying for a specialized position. Remember that the other half of the phrase is "master of none", and depending on what you're applying for, that might carry a negative connotation. I'd also recommend not using the word guy. Try substituting in 'professional' instead. While I personally have no problem with the casual tone, I can see where others might find it an issue. Remember, you're essentially selling yourself, and starting a sales pitch with something like 'yeah, so I have this stuff...' is going to make it hard to take you seriously. It sucks, but you can't ever go wrong by keeping the tone strictly professional.
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    The one thing I noticed was WGU is based in SLC, not LA.

I put L.A. just for an all-around point of basis. Everything says L.A. icon_wink.gif
    Well, you're right in that it stands out, and it caught the eye, but not in a good way. Someone mentioned Boz's resume, and if you can find the thread where he posted it, that's an example of a resume with logos that work. You have to be careful in the design to make them work well. I'm sure you could incorporate them, but it has to flow naturally. I actually do use logo's on my resume, but I only use two. I couldn't make it work with all of them without looking really ugly. And with that many Cisco logos, the first reaction most folks would have is 'we get it, you've got cisco certs'.

But I think if you use a blue bar as a seperator, it's plenty eye catching enough. Get rid of that big blotch of blue, and I'd say the colorization and the shading is just perfect for catching the eye. It's a damn sight better than the majority of resumes I've seen.

Oh, one other critique... I'd recommend not using the term jack of all trades in the header, especially if you're applying for a specialized position. Remember that the other half of the phrase is "master of none", and depending on what you're applying for, that might carry a negative connotation. I'd also recommend not using the word guy. Try substituting in 'professional' instead. While I personally have no problem with the casual tone, I can see where others might find it an issue. Remember, you're essentially selling yourself, and starting a sales pitch with something like 'yeah, so I have this stuff...' is going to make it hard to take you seriously. It sucks, but you can't ever go wrong by keeping the tone strictly professional.

Thanks for the input. I'll remove the logos. Don't want to look tacky now. icon_redface.gif

I'll re-edit the resume and post the changes. :)

You know, I was considering not using the whole "Jack of Trades, Master of None" idea. But, I work at a non-profit organization, and in order to work this job, you've got to be a jack of all trades type of person. Specializations doesn't matter too much in this type of job position. I work with two other co-workers. If I only specialized in databases, everyone would come attacking me for help on matters of sorts. We have over 30 databases for different branches of programs within the company. I can't do it all, and that's why we all 'specialize' in databasing in one form or another. Since my two other co-workers are well-rounded within the I.T. perspective of this non-profit, we share the same commonalities, problems, issues, what have you, because we can do it all. But when I do start applying for jobs, you're completely on the dot because companies do look for certain specializations from individuals. If asked, security would be my specialization of choice.

You've got a point about using the word "guy." I did keep it a bit casual for "comfortability's sake." True. I'll change it up and keep it more "professional." Haha.

Thanks again for the input GA. I'll make the necessary changes and report back! :D
  • Options
    Anymore critiques before I go ahead and change this up? :)
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    If you are currently at a job you don't use past tense. Example administered should be administer. If it is a previous job that you are no longer at you would used administered. At least that is what I was always taught.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I'm surprised the resume doesn't have any smilies in it.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1) Your resume reads like a technical product junket...personally, I would avoid making it look so colorful...you are presuming that folks don't hate the color blue.

2) I agree with Forsaken--lose the Jack of All Trades bit. In addition to what you already discussed, and as someone who has been one, if you're applying to a place that is looking for security, you want to tailor your resume to highlight security. Contrary to what you might have read or anyone who might disagree with this...it is a detriment to yourself to have a "one-size-fits-all" resume. You want it tailored somewhat to the position you are gunning for. All the more reason to lose the JOAT reference. Of course the primary reason is what Forsaken wrote.....you want to be seen as a "Master" of something.

3) It is my hope that on your real resume (also discussed before) that not everything is in Los Angeles....lol.

4) Your resume is confusing. You list items in your Experience that would get you a nice help desk spot but yet you don't explain in your Experience what you did with the applications you supported (Did you just install them [e.g. Blackberry or Sonicwall] and have someone else configure them?) BTW, for your Welcome Baby bit, either put Welcome Baby in quotes, or replace it with the article "a". I'm assuming you are gunning for a Network/Systems Admin role?

5) I am on the whole "lose the logo" bandwagon, but my take on it is only cause you not only have your logos, but your certifications right under it. The fact that you put more importance on your certs than how an employer can contact you isn't looking cute. (The contact section does not pop out at me.)

I get that you want your resume to stand out though...and I look forward to reading the second draft...you need to make your experience more relevant with the positions you are gunning for...and I would put list in descending order experience, education, certifications. Use some of those hardware and sofware you've listed in your experience.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shecky wrote: »
    I put L.A. just for an all-around point of basis. Everything says L.A. icon_wink.gif

WGU is becoming very popular and with that popularity will obviously come knowledge of where it's located. If I was HR and saw such a mistake I would probably throw your resume in the trash.
  • Options
    He takes the tests in LA, so it's kind of like it's located there.
  • Options
    sheckler wrote: »

That is stretching the truth, which is the same thing as a lie. You put the location of your institution on your resume.
  • Options

With that logic, that's like saying this:

University of Maryland-University College -- Sometown, NJ

I think we all know UMUC is not in NJ. LOL.

Veritas and Colemic are right--even if your school is online (Whether it's UoP, WGU, or a B&M school like University of Texas--Austin), always list where the institution is...not where you wake up to log in....(unless of course it happens to be in the same town where it is, of course...lol)
  • Options
    That makes the resume look weird since most people won't have heard of the school, so it shows you at school in Utah while working a job in Alaska or wherever at the same time.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    please explain?

If you are utilizing cell phones out of country via phone hub or a bridge, and transition into a meeting place on Skype it sure the heck can.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Shecky wrote: »
    Anymore critiques before I go ahead and change this up? :)

Couldn't read all the responses, but just wanna add to remove MCSA:S from your certs list. It's meaningless clutter due to the MCSE:S entry.

I like the layout though.

EDIT: How about a softer shade of blue to look a bit more contemporary and less brash?
  • Options
    That makes the resume look weird since most people won't have heard of the school, so it shows you at school in Utah while working a job in Alaska or wherever at the same time.

It's 2011 now...people have heard of that "online school" thing....

It's not weird at all.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree about the "jack of all trades" statement but I actually really like the resume. I think it had decent flow and you are only the second person that I have ever seen put logos on the resume (Paul Bos was the first and he has the best resume I have even seen in my life imo). Resume's about being eye catching and holding someones attention for longer than 3 minutes. I think you have accomplished that.

Maybe you should have two versions, once flashy with the logos and one without.
  • Options
    I agree about the "jack of all trades" statement but I actually really like the resume. I think it had decent flow and you are only the second person that I have ever seen put logos on the resume (Paul Bos was the first and he has the best resume I have even seen in my life imo). Resume's about being eye catching and holding someones attention for longer than 3 minutes. I think you have accomplished that.

Maybe you should have two versions, once flashy with the logos and one without.

I actually like his resume and this one as well. The problem is that I don't know whether or not HR will. Ah well, you can't know until you try icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Who wouldn't want to hire a jack of all trades IT guy? Print that baby on bright green neon paper so it is more noticeable and you should have a $100k job in no time!