Options

To those with an MS or MBA (or grad student) ... is GMAT Preparation worth it?

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Since this is about a graduate degree, I'm guessing this is the right place to post this, and now I am seeking advice on this on how to start this.

I'm close to finishing my studies at WGU and I am 100% sure I want to start a Masters programs. I had thought that tests like the GRE and GMAT (and in my case I'm leaning towards the latter) would just be showing up, getting a score and then applying. However, after doing a huge amount of searching, I see that the GMAT requires it's own prepping with a minimum of three months JUST to get an "ok" score. I now see why folks would go to schools that don't require a GRE/GMAT, however that's not personally an option for me.

For those who are in a graduate program or finished one that required a GMAT, how did you prepare for it and how long did it take you? I saw at least one forum that's devoted to the GNAT, but those guys seem to be interested in going to Wharton, or HBS full time. My sights aren't really that high; I just want to get into a AACSB school to get into either a MS in Management or an MBA with an IT emphasis. There are two online schools (both in the South) that I'm (so far) interested in applying plus two local schools that I can do regularly. I pride myself on being a decent test-taker, but when I saw the quantitative practice exams, I literally went "holy ----").

Any advice on this would be most appreciated. I have a good few months before I get a Bachelors...but from what I can see, it's gonna be a few months JUST to get a decent score on the GMAT, which I'd want to do first. I know they have guides on the subject and plus test-prep courses. However I'm not trying to spend thousands to just get a 500 on the GMAT...lol. Guess I'm looking for a good roadmap to follow from like-minded individuals.

Comments

• Options
    CamtheChampCamtheChamp Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in grad school for my MBA right now and I took the GMAT. There are a few things to consider when looking at how long you need to spend to prepare.

1. When was the last time you did the math that is on the GMAT?
    2. When was the last time you took an exam like the GMAT? it is similar to the SAT and ACT.
    3. What is the average GMAT score for the school you are planning on applying to?
    4. What score would you be satisfied with based on the answer to question 3?

I had done most of the math within a year, I had taken the SAT and ACT a couple years before and the school I am attending had an average of 590.

I studied for 2 weeks, 6+ hours a day and beat out the 590 comfortably.

Obviously the amount of studying necessary would increase exponentially based on your answer to those questions.
  • Options
    I am in grad school for my MBA right now and I took the GMAT. There are a few things to consider when looking at how long you need to spend to prepare.

1. When was the last time you did the math that is on the GMAT?
    2. When was the last time you took an exam like the GMAT? it is similar to the SAT and ACT.
    3. What is the average GMAT score for the school you are planning on applying to?
    4. What score would you be satisfied with based on the answer to question 3?

I had done most of the math within a year, I had taken the SAT and ACT a couple years before and the school I am attending had an average of 590.

I studied for 2 weeks, 6+ hours a day and beat out the 590 comfortably.

Obviously the amount of studying necessary would increase exponentially based on your answer to those questions.

Excellent questions and thank you for asking them!

1. The only math I had to concentrate on was College Algebra, Trig, and Geometry and it was within the past few weeks. I passed the course, and because of how WGU does it's grading, it's considered a "B". However, since math is my weakest subject, I would spend a lot of time on it, if I had to. However, the work that I had to do for the math is kind of still fresh in my mind.

2. The last time I took the SATs was sixteen years ago. I did not break 1000 and I'll leave it at that (I still got into college....but that's about it.)

3. Average score (in no particular order) are
    • 450 (490 for unconditional) (1st online school)
    • 500, (1st local school)
    • 420-580 [was only able to find the range of those accepted], (2nd local school)
    • 608 [this one is the only "top school" and has an online component--this is probably not going to happen, but we'll see...]. (2nd online school)
    4. I would imagine the highest score I can, to be honest with you. I'm comfortable with exams, even four-five hour ones with proper sleep.

Based on what I gave you, how long do you think I need to prepare for something like, say, 650?
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Being fresh out of school, I took the GMAT after barely reviewing the study material they send you when you register for it and scored a 690. Results may vary, but by no means is it a task to fear. Good luck.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't taken the GMAT, but I took the GRE in the early 90's to get into graduate school. Whatever I have to say here is based on that. The GRE has been redesigned significantly since then.

To this day, the GRE is the hardest exam that I've taken. I've heard similar thoughts about the GMAT.

When I prepared for the GRE, my basic approach was to do as many practice exams as possible. Tests like the GRE are not necessarily a test of your aptitude as much as they are a test of how good you are at taking the GRE. Don't be a hero, just accept these things for what they are.

I chose not to do a specific GRE class, although in high school I did take something similar for the SAT. I'm sure these classes can be beneficial, but they can also be outrageously expensive.

Were I to do this again I would do exactly what I did almost 20 years ago. I think I did practice exams for about 6 months before I actually took the GRE. By the time I got to the GRE I knew exactly what to expect. The practice exams that I used were officially sanctioned material, so it's not like you're dumping the exam or anything.

So for me, no, the prep classes were not cost or time-effective.

Also, just want to say props to you for looking at schools that actually have some minimum admission requirements other than ability to pay. You'll find that there is a strong correlation between selectivity in admissions and the ultimate worth of the degree.

Good luck with it,

MS
  • Options
    CamtheChampCamtheChamp Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Excellent questions and thank you for asking them!

1. The only math I had to concentrate on was College Algebra, Trig, and Geometry and it was within the past few weeks. I passed the course, and because of how WGU does it's grading, it's considered a "B". However, since math is my weakest subject, I would spend a lot of time on it, if I had to. However, the work that I had to do for the math is kind of still fresh in my mind.

2. The last time I took the SATs was sixteen years ago. I did not break 1000 and I'll leave it at that (I still got into college....but that's about it.)

3. Average score (in no particular order) are
    • 450 (490 for unconditional) (1st online school)
    • 500, (1st local school)
    • 420-580 [was only able to find the range of those accepted], (2nd local school)
    • 608 [this one is the only "top school" and has an online component--this is probably not going to happen, but we'll see...]. (2nd online school)
    4. I would imagine the highest score I can, to be honest with you. I'm comfortable with exams, even four-five hour ones with proper sleep.

Based on what I gave you, how long do you think I need to prepare for something like, say, 650?

Keep in mind, if you get the average score, you beat out half of the students that are currently attending.

Everyone is different, the average GMAT score is 550 worldwide. If I were in the same situation as you though, I would spend about a month studying for it.
  • Options

This stands out to me as a bit troubling. Not that you're incompetent or anything. It's more that the SAT is a test of how good you are at taking the SAT, and sub-1000 combined means you weren't very good at it.

GRE and GMAT are somewhat similar, but much tougher, and I would think that you would see a strong relationship between how you did on the SAT and how you will do on the GRE or GMAT.

You most likely need to spend significant time preparing. The GRE tends to be more verbal in nature, whereas the GMAT is more mathematically oriented. Plan and prepare accordingly.

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    This stands out to me as a bit troubling. Not that you're incompetent or anything. It's more that the SAT is a test of how good you are at taking the SAT, and sub-1000 combined means you weren't very good at it.

(Very deep sigh....)

It is what it is.

I can go and blame socio-economic factors on why I was sub-1000. Maybe I can even agree with you, and concede that I'm a total dumba--.

I am not going to delve into all of that, though and just stick with facts.

1) I did not have so much as 1/10th of the amount of resources at the age of 17 that I do now at 33. In fact, I have access to more resources now than my parents did 16 years ago. It is what it is.

2) I was a slacker at 17. All of my teachers complained to my parents that I could have been a NHS student had I just gave a "----". (Meanwhile, a lot of those NHS students couldn't even handle college and flunked out for a myriad of reasons...) At least in my case, while I didn't finish college when I should have for reasons that totally rest with me, I always made more money than school teachers starting at 23-24. It is what it is.

I refuse to believe though that me having a semblence of reasonable intelligence cannot achieve a score worthy of admission. I have proven that second point though; I believe if I apply myself, I should be able to do what I need/want to do. I didn't do it for the SATs because I couldn't be bothered with it at the time. I was always good at general test taking and such, provided I knew the topics being discussed.

In any event, while my ego is a bit bruised, I do value your input. However, I believe my experiences since I've been 17 could carry me in taking this exam, as well as the SAT, since I do (now) see past the biases of them. :)
  • Options
    In any event, while my ego is a bit bruised, I do value your input. However, I believe my experiences since I've been 17 could carry me in taking this exam, as well as the SAT, since I do (now) see past the biases of them. :)

I agree, it is what it is. Also, accept that the SAT and GRE are what they are. They're exams that test your ability to take that specific exam much more than they test anything else.

Really, your ego shouldn't be bruised at all. None of what I wrote was intended harshly, nor do I get the impression that you're a complete dumbass.

In fact, I'd say it's good that you've identified a potential weakness, and you also know clearly that you've progressed quite a bit since then.

Most likely, you probably have less preparation than someone coming in cold, but given your history, you will benefit the most from learning how to take the exam.

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    Most likely, you probably have less preparation than someone coming in cold, but given your history, you will benefit the most from learning how to take the exam.

MS

I was just kind of taken aback a bit with your second post when I read it. However, since we're on the same page in a good number of things, I understood you completely. Believe me, it takes a lot to bruise this ego...lol.

Based on what I've seen thus far from those who responded to this thread, I think I'm gonna do a B&N run and read up on GMAT prep. (I have $50 in free gift cards....)

I can't prep for the GMAT now, even if I wanted to (and I do). I have 6 certs (well, 5 certs and one minor annoyance called CIW Javascript) that I have to get done/out of the way, plus two papers before I graduate. All of my GMAT prep work will be after I graduate.

I think I'll prep for a month after I graduate and see how it goes. If I am able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, I can start whatever program in the Fall of 2012. I'm shooting to be done by 2015...(I can do three years of grad work....I just didn't want to do that much for undergrad...lmao). Very appropriate, considering it'll be on my 20th year outside of high school. :D
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the GRE about a month ago, so I can't give details about GMAT, but here's my background.

I took the SAT back in the early 90s and scored 1260 (610 verbal, 650 math). I didn't put much effort into it, and I didn't put much effort into school in general. I took things seriously, but I didn't really study much.

Due to many circumstances, I didn't finish up my BS degree until last year. Now that I work at a university, I decided to take advantage of one of my benefits - free tuition for undergrad or graduate programs. I needed to take the GRE for a Master of Applied Statistics program, so I picked up one general GRE study guide with practice tests, a set of vocabulary flash cards, and the free PowerPrep software from the place that designs the GRE exams.

I spent about 10 hours a week for 3 weeks studying on my own. I was aiming for a combined 1200+, and I ended up with a 680 verbal and 730 math.

If you test well, have a good foundation in thinking logically, and did well in grammar, algebra, and geometry, the GRE isn't too bad, but your time is running out for the current version of the exam. They're changing things up in a few months.

Are the schools you're applying to require the GMAT exclusively? More and more business schools are taking the GRE in additional to the GMAT. It's cheaper on you and is used for more than just MBA type programs.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Are the schools you're applying to require the GMAT exclusively? More and more business schools are taking the GRE in additional to the GMAT. It's cheaper on you and is used for more than just MBA type programs.

I hear the GRE is somewhat easier than the GMAT, but the programs I'm looking at require the GMAT exclusively, as I'm looking at management programs/MBAs. I considered doing an MS in IS Management, but even that program wants a GMAT and it was only X amount of credits shy of an MBA at their program.

Based on the collective thought of reviewers on Amazon, I went ahead and picked up a copy of GMAT for Dummies, 5th Edition, just so that I can get a good idea of how to prepare for it. I plan on waking up earlier than normal in the next coming weeks so I can spend a couple of hours a day and read it. I want to save my study time for the MCITP:EA that I gotta get. Once I get the EA, and assuming I'm done with the Dummies book, I'm gonna go ahead and get either the Kaplan and/or Manhattan guides and work on those while I do Capstone/Tech Writing. I'm shooting for end of the year to take the GMAT as that might be when I'm done with WGU and then I should have a better idea of where I'm going to school. I am doubtful that the GMAT will keep me out of a MBA program I want to pursue as I have a good work history and (at that point) a BS degree. I'll see how that goes...
  • Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    erp - I am finishing B.S. and - although I'm considering a second B.S. for the sake of better job placement help and a specification in Information Systems - I am going to get an MBA some day and since the GMAT lasts for years, I'm considering when I might study for it.

I'm actually excited to study for it. Perhaps like you, in HS I was a math/science hater - later on I actually embraced both. I did OK on SAT, my plan is to SLAUGHTER the GMAT to death. I guess there's an essay portion, which is the biggest bummer, especially since there's no auto spell check on it, heh.

Have you tried some of the free GMAT mock-up exams online? Check out Kaplan's website, try out their fake GMAT tests, see what you can do off the top of your head.

Back when I took the SAT I was a math and science hater - these days I have been very much the opposite. So I think I'd enjoy studying for the GMAT.
  • Options
    over9000over9000 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the GRE a few months ago and got a 580V and 690Q not the GMAT, (planning to take the GMAT soon), but I can say that getting the score you want really depends on a lot of things.

Unfortunately, the GMAT POWERPREP Software isn't free, so you can't take a free practice test to see how you score (my score was within 100 points of the practice test after my preparation) and determine a course of action from there. I would suggest getting one of those GMAT preparation books and taking a practice test to see what your baseline score is and then you'll have an idea of how much you need to study and the amount of time you need to put in to get the score you want.

I only put in a month of studying (about 4 hours a day after work), but you may have to put in more time depending on where you're starting from. I'm not the best test taker though.

SAT scores and GRE/GMAT scores aren't really the same. You could be much more focused and harder worker than you were when you took the SAT (scored higher on the GRE than my SATs) so it really comes down to to getting a baseline score and working towards the score you need.

Last thing, I don't really think you need to take any prep courses, I didn't and scored ok i guess icon_thumright.gif. Just get the right books, take a few practice tests after you study to see how you're coming along, and you should be fine.