Options

Fifteen Top Paying IT Certifications

geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
Very intresting list as a couple on here I did not expect to see as high as they were.. This is also from Infosec Island

https://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/13158-Fifteen-Top-Paying-IT-Certifications.html

Comments

• Options
    ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    Just because you have that cert doesnt mean your going to make the salary....this seems more like an individual with 20 years experience and is already a project manager at his/her company ....just so happens to have his PMP is making 100k regardless...I dunno...icon_rolleyes.gif just like how I see MCITP make 80k...well im 23...and I'll have my MCITP soon that doesnt mean i'm going to jump from making 40k to 80k without the neccessary experience.
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The problem is that some confuse correlation with causation and draw wrong conclusions from studies like these... And there are those who do so deliberately ("Take our class, become Certified .... and start earning $$$!")
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got Project+ now where's my money....
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    #12 ... really?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    How did Project+ get on the list?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    shon541 wrote: »
    How did Project+ get on the list?

Because it's a PM cert. Unfortunately there are a lot of misconceptions are surrounding the PM world, and the Project+ has made it worse. In all honesty, if you want to be a PM, get experience, an MBA and your PMP. The Project+ is CompTIA's way of trying to elbow into that market.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is list hilarious to the point of absurdity, (and this is the list, not the OP.)

I am sure the people who were part of this survey had other certs/degrees/experience that brought them the salary that comprise the average. If I was someone completely new to IT, I would read this list and want to become Project+ making 87k! (Which, by itself is absurd, since there doesn't seem to be any demand for CompTIA Project+...)

These lists are terribly misleading and again this is nothing against the OP.

The only thing I kind of buy are the high level Cisco certs, the PMP and CISSP. You can't get those certs without having some experience and if you have a job that requires them, that means you knew your stuff. (Or got lucky....but I like to give the benefit of doubt... ;) )
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BS. Move on...
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCDP 100k+ ? now wouldnt that be something. Well i should ave my cert in a couple weeks, should i look forward to the pay? lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Project + icon_lol.gif

They need to add the years of experience + degree + state.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Man I needed a laugh. Thanks for the solid Infosec Island.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CCNA:V at 90k+? Please tell me that's a yes icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    It was a survey so it was based on who responded.. They had 12,000 respond so it is what it is...
    For the fourth year in a row, Global Knowledge and TechRepublic have partnered to create a comprehensive IT salary survey. With over 12,000 responses, the 2011 report has turned out to be one of this year's most relevant and revealing salary surveys in the industry.

You can go here for a more complete list including break downs by state..

2011 IT Skills and Salary Report
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    The problem is that some confuse correlation with causation and draw wrong conclusions from studies like these... And there are those who do so deliberately ("Take our class, become Certified .... and start earning $$$!")

Exactly. The reason the person has those certs is because of the type of person that he/she is. People that are overachievers tend to be highly credentialed because of that fact, not the inverse.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    CCDA: 97k+ ?? LOL maybe if you have 12 years experience on top of that cert.
    CCNA:V 92k?? Same as above.

I think this would have been a MUCH more accurate article if they listed the average experience of each group holding those certs.

Or weeding it out and only showing average salaries for freshly minted individuals with those certs.

The only one that is realistic is the PMP, because PMP requires 5 years prior experience in Project Management prior to obtaining that cert. So it is more believable. One cannot simply walk into mordor, I mean simply pass that exam and get certified.

Same with ITIL Expert, in order to get Expert, some of those exams take 1-2 years to study for. But the tech exams. pssh not realistic unless you have years or experience.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IT Certifications don't pay anything. They don't do squat by themselves. Was this article sponsored by a cert study materials or training vendor?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    IT Certifications don't pay anything. They don't do squat by themselves. Was this article sponsored by a cert study materials or training vendor?

Global Knowledge
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    "of the people who have the pay grade high enough to be our on survey, they responded"

I don't know any actual IT people who have the time or are even involved in the organizations that do these silly surveys. Normally it's mid-to-upper management types that are doing these.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Salary of average marketing position for certification training company: $250,000
    icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably the same people putting out the radio ads proclaiming "Take control of your future and get the salary you DESERVE... with a new career in IT! Entry level starting at 50, 60, 70 thousand or more! Buy our product!"
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I have serious misgivings about how these are done.

Let's take 2 people.

Jr Engineer, 2 years experience, CCNA, makes 45k
    CIO, 10 years experience, CCNA, CCNP, etc, makes 150k

Are both of these people counted under avg CCNA salary? I'm going to guess they are, even though the second shouldn't be. Make it more absurd - are both of those individuals counted under A+ certification salarys if they have that as well?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    geek4god wrote: »
    Very intresting list as a couple on here I did not expect to see as high as they were.. This is also from Infosec Island

https://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/13158-Fifteen-Top-Paying-IT-Certifications.html

Take it with a pinch of salt. We have sent CCIEs packing at my shop because they weren't very good.
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Because it's a PM cert. Unfortunately there are a lot of misconceptions are surrounding the PM world, and the Project+ has made it worse. In all honesty, if you want to be a PM, get experience, an MBA and your PMP. The Project+ is CompTIA's way of trying to elbow into that market.

The world is full of project managers these days and most dont make a lot of money to be honest.
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Turgon wrote: »
    The world is full of project managers these days and most dont make a lot of money to be honest.

That and a lot of them suck. Well in my experience anyway. The PM for a lot of projects I work on almost has us holding her hand the whole time doing process flows and such. She's not very tech savvy, yet is a project manager for technical implementations at a tech company. Blows my mind. Most of my team dislikes her too, not just for her lack of ability, but she's acts like a no it all b1atch.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    millworx wrote: »
    That and a lot of them suck. Well in my experience anyway. The PM for a lot of projects I work on almost has us holding her hand the whole time doing process flows and such. She's not very tech savvy, yet is a project manager for technical implementations at a tech company. Blows my mind. Most of my team dislikes her too, not just for her lack of ability, but she's acts like a no it all b1atch.

A lot of project managers do indeed suck balls. The thing is the project manager space has mushroomed the last ten years with a lot of people who are technical, semi-technical or non-technical ending up in project management. A lot of fast track graduates go the project management route as well. So the quality really varies in the project management space with many people doing it who didn't want to do it but got pushed in that direction, and many people choosing to do it who are pants at it. The PM qualification area is really bloated in my opinion with people passing themselves off as uber PMs with at best marginal experience. I have been doing PM in one form or another for over 10 years without having the moniker project manager and I have worked with and assisted hundreds of them with their deliveries. In some cases practically educated them on the job. But in some sense that goes with the territory when you are an architect or designer.

It reminds me of my former development director who said he got nervous whenever he met anyone who had the title 'consultant'.

The flip side is I do think there is a need for good project management and a really good project manager makes my job easier not harder. The problem is, really good project management is far from 'common sense' as many techs like to assume, as do for that matter many project managers who dont listen and want an easy ride. It is an art. Not too many artists about.