Options

Please critique (abuse) my resume, and a small backstory.

CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been viewing this forum for about 8 months now, and out of all the forums that I have viewed (I've been viewing/posting in forums since 199icon_cool.gif, this is the nicest forum I've ever seen, but without being too nice, and being very realistic. I've never posted an introduction message for that reason.

I'm 24 years old, and before trying to get my certifications, I thought that I was at a dead-end. I honestly believe this is my last chance, and if I don't make it, I will be working the same job(s) for the rest of my life, in essence, a bum. I tried Computer Science, but I just didn't click with programming, I tried HVAC, but I barely worked with tools, and even after studying, it wasn't the homework assignments that were tough, but it was the actual labs (building a furnace, fixing a refrigeration system unit, connecting an electrical unit without fail), including this, I rarely (if any) had partners to help me out (I was usually the only person without partners in the class), and the instructors weren't able (or didn't bother) to answer my questions. I then tried to get into business and marketing, but if you want to make money, you needed money, and I didn't want to take out any extra loans (I still owe some from school).

I didn't know what to do, but my brother told me to get into the computer industry (as a non-programmer, since I like hardware, and my previous stint in programming was a failure), and after viewing this forum, I gave it a shot and ordered the A+, Network+, Security+ books, and Watched Professor Messer's videos. After yesterday, I have passed all 3 (A+, Network+, Security+) exams somewhat convincingly (scored between 800-810 on all but one exam). I want to do the MCITP7 desktop certificate right now, but I would rather hold off and find a job first, but I want to get that certification done before this year.

Also, I have been reading about WGU and that it works on a system where you take whatever classes you can pass, instead of the semester-based system where you have to take usually 13-16 credits per semester. I was thinking about putting off college, but I realize that I need a BS. I have completed 2 years worth of General credits (so I'm hoping most of them transfer), so I'm hoping that once I find a job in the computer industry and I understand the job and company I work for, I may take out a loan and try to complete a BS at WGU within a year. After that, when I have more work experience, I will try to go for the advanced Microsoft/Cisco/InfoSec certifications (haven't decided which one, yet, but with more experience, I think that shouldn't be too hard).

I understand that I will start out at the bottom (help desk or something related), but I don't mind, as long as I can make around $12-$15/hr, and there is room for improvement, then that is acceptable. I have disappointed my family, with not having graduated, and working the same dead-end job for over 2 years now, but I have a plan, and I want to make it right. I know my limits, and I don't expect to be making 6-figures in 5 or 10 years, maybe not ever, but I want to make a living wage (money that I can live on), I want to make my mother happy, I want to build trust in my family again, and I want to complete the goals that I have taken notes on before I die. I'm hoping that this is the start, because there is no turning back, for me.

Here is my resume, please, tear it apart.

FIRST LAST

email@email.com

(555) 555-5555

US CITIZEN

SUMMARY

A highly dedicated and dependable information technology professional seeking a challenging and rewarding help desk or desktop support position.

EDUCATION

MINNEAPOLIS COMMUNITY & TECHNICAL COLLEGE (MCTC) Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 years of general education credits 08/2005 – 12/2010
CERTIFICATIONS
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]CompTIA A+
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]CompTIA Network+
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]CompTIA Security+
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE Minneapolis, Minnesota
Package Sorter 10/2008 – Present
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Follow designated safety procedures made by UPS, such as using a load stand.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Unload and sort through 4000+ packages per day onto the conveyer belt to be loaded into the trucks.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Memorize all the zip code sorts from the United States and the territories of Canada

ATLAS HOME HEALTHCARE INC. Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
Technical Support 08/2009 – 06/2010
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Installed phone lines, computers, software, and Linksys wireless network.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Programmed PBX phone system for 3 telephones to respond to inside and outside calls.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Troubleshot computer, wireless connectivity, and printer problems.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Configured & maintained anti-malware applications, such as ESET NOD32 Antivirus, and Spybot SD
SOFTWARE SKILLS
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]COMPUTER SOFTWARE: Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word), ESET NOD32 Antivirus,
Spybot Search & Destroy, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome

[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]COMPUTER ENVIRONMENTS: Windows 2000/XP/VISTA/7, Macintosh OSX

VOLUNTEERISM
GAMEDAY PROGRAMS Minneapolis, Minnesota
Program Vendor 04/2008 – 10/2008
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Gave programs, containing score cards and statistics of the Minnesota Twins to people.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Sold 10-50 programs per Twins home game.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Worked various locations around the perimeter of the Metrodome.

NOKOMIS PUBLIC LIBRARY Minneapolis, Minnesota
Library Supervising Assistant 06/2002 – 08/2002
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Organized the bookshelves and library area.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Read to children and created a happy and fun environment.

*Edited e-mail to prevent spam*

*Forgive me, the software skills area doesn't seem to come out correctly, the computer environments is supposed to be at the far right along with the list of OS; along with other tidbits (date and city).

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I will tell you 4 things:

1. Welcome to the forum. Stick around. You will learn more that you can imagine
    2. You are 24. I know people who are 54 and are not even close to where you are right now
    3. You are doing the smart thing, trying to figure out what suits you. I think you finally found it
    4. You are absolutely right, programming sucks!
  • Options
    Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    You are absolutely right, programming sucks!

+1 confused.png
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Sice you don't have much IT experience, move your certifications to the top of the resume. Between education and experience should be good. Welcome to TE, also, WGU doesnt' allow you to take classes you'll pass, they have a curriculumn to my understanding.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
    I honestly cant give you an accurate critique without seeing the resume that you will actually present. Upload a word document with the formatting you will use.

That being said, you definitely want to highlight that fact that you have certs and what they are. Use things like "Certified Desktop Support Technician". Go on craigslist, look at job postings and learn some of the lingo so that when you talk to interviewers you can come off as sounding like you know what you are talking about. Formatting is everything. You have to standout visually, or you just get looked over.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    After yesterday, I have passed all 3 (A+, Network+, Security+) exams somewhat convincingly (scored between 800-810 on all but one exam)

Passed all 3 in one day? bet that was long day at the testing center. Impressive sir! Desktop support will be a great place for you to start, just get in there and bust tail show your peers you want to learn as much as you can. Eventually you will find what specialization you want to peruse. Good luck and welcome to TE!

Oh ya and I agree move the certs to the top
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Listen don't be upset because you feel your starting out late. I started in IT when I was 18, had jobs on and off, and really couldn't keep jobs because of the lack of experience. I really didn't get a full time job as a SA till I was 24 or 25. I was beyond sick of working retail, and knew I had to do something. I went back for my AA degree almost 10 years ago, and took 5 years to finish PT. I also coughed up money to work on certifications between that time, and then started back for my BS degree last year. Bottom line was I made it a point to myself that the minute I stop doing something, whether it be school, or certifications, then I will "fall off the wagon".

1. Take out your High school information completely and dont ever use that.

2. For your 2 year school, you can do 2 options with this one. First either put the year you started to the last year you stopped for your 2 year. Second, once you get enrolled into WGU and get your credits transfered then you can put the year you started to present. If you get an interview and they ask about your 2 year, just tell them that you got enough credits to transfer to WGU so you can finish up your BS degree. That will make you look good in the long run.

3. For your UPS job, put 10/2008 to present and combined your job duties. For your job title, just put package sorter. I don't think interviewer will care too much about your first position. Your tenure there is the most important since the job isn't IT related.

4. Remove Temporary Food Service Associate and Work Study Customer Service Associate. If an interview asked what you did before that, you can tell them or if they have you fill out another employment application (which some do) then go that route. You don't want your entire employment history on your resume. Limit it to 3 max.

5. Summary looks good.

6. Programming sucks and so does retail!

7. I'd look at jobs in your area, and start thinking about your next certifications to add to your resume.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the compliments. I know it isn't going to be easy, in fact, I haven't had much time to have fun these past 8 months of studying.
    Sice you don't have much IT experience, move your certifications to the top of the resume. Between education and experience should be good. Welcome to TE, also, WGU doesnt' allow you to take classes you'll pass, they have a curriculumn to my understanding.
    Alright, thanks. I saw the requirements for specific IT degrees, and I'm certain some of my credits will transfer. I'm hoping that I can transfer almost half of them over, so I can get done much quicker.
    That being said, you definitely want to highlight that fact that you have certs and what they are. Use things like "Certified Desktop Support Technician".
    Are you saying I should put a small description of the specific certificate?
    Passed all 3 in one day? bet that was long day at the testing center. Impressive sir! Desktop support will be a great place for you to start, just get in there and bust tail show your peers you want to learn as much as you can. Eventually you will find what specialization you want to peruse. Good luck and welcome to TE!
    I apologize if my previous post came off as me passing it all in one day, I actually passed all three within 2-3 weeks of each other.
    1. Take out your High school information completely and dont ever use that.

2. For your 2 year school, you can do 2 options with this one. First either put the year you started to the last year you stopped for your 2 year. Second, once you get enrolled into WGU and get your credits transfered then you can put the year you started to present. If you get an interview and they ask about your 2 year, just tell them that you got enough credits to transfer to WGU so you can finish up your BS degree. That will make you look good in the long run.

3. For your UPS job, put 10/2008 to present and combined your job duties. For your job title, just put package sorter. I don't think interviewer will care too much about your first position. Your tenure there is the most important since the job isn't IT related.

4. Remove Temporary Food Service Associate and Work Study Customer Service Associate. If an interview asked what you did before that, you can tell them or if they have you fill out another employment application (which some do) then go that route. You don't want your entire employment history on your resume. Limit it to 3 max.

5. Summary looks good.

6. Programming sucks and so does retail!

7. I'd look at jobs in your area, and start thinking about your next certifications to add to your resume.
    Thanks for the advice. By the way, are there specific keywords I should put in for an entry level position, seeing as I have some computer experience (nothing major, obviously), and other than the MCITP 70-680 & 70-685, are there other certifications that I should go after, or should I just try to find a job, gain some experience, then go after more advanced certifications?

Also, should I take out the "Software Skills" and "Volunteerism" jobs? Also, what about cover letters, how important are they, or are they important on a job-to-job basis?

By the way, where is the button to post attachments? I probably skimmed over it.

Another question, is it necessary to put my address on my resume?
  • Options
    Here is the new resume. I can't seem to find the attachment button. Is there anything else I should add, like my address?
  • Options
    jawernaljawernal Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The attachment button is located btw the smiley icon and the undo/redo button. I think you can take it from there. Good luck in your endeavors
  • Options
    MAPLMAPL Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Being a UPS employee for 7 years now (sorting) and also trying to break into the IT field, I feel your pain man. I can't stand going to work everyday, but it's a stable pay check.

As for your resume (specifically the UPS part), I think you should get rid of the first bullet point on safety. Moreover, somehow mention demonstrating work ethic in the job description. There's not really much for both of us to say about our job that are transferable skills besides work ethic and maybe teamwork.

Your off to a great start with those certificates though. Stay positive, keep sending your resume out, and apply for every internship/volunteer position you see to build experience. That's what I'm currently doing just to bulk up my resume, since mentioning UPS is somewhat worthless (lol). Best of luck man!
  • Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    UNITED PARCEL SERVICE Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Package Sorter 10/2008 – Present
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Follow designated safety procedures made by UPS, such as using a load stand.
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Unload and sort through 4000+ packages per day onto the conveyer belt to be loaded into the trucks.
    [FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Memorize all the zip code sorts from the United States and the territories of Canada

i would say this entire section needs changing. ditch the first bullet thats stuff your supposed to do anyway, you need to show them why you are awesome not just following procedure.

i dot know the ins and outs of your job but IMO something like "Worked as part of a busy team to ensure safe and efficient loading of packages" sounds better then the second point.

its hard to explain but dont just state what you did, emphasise any responsibilites,team work etc let them call you in for an interview to ask any specifics
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I have disappointed my family... I want to make my mother happy, I want to build trust in my family again,

Why have your disappointed your family? Why is your mother not happy? Why doesn't your family trust you?

You are working a job and have had consistent employment for the last couple of years. You have been taking classes. You have been studying for certifications and passed them. Sounds like things to be proud of. There are TONS of people out there who want to say "oh.. economy is bad.. no on is hiring. I'll sit on my lazy ass and stare at the TV all day and collect a check." There are tons of hiring signs out there, but the problem is many people don't want to work jobs they feel are beneath them. Our country has a serious entitlement problem right now. But, you are doing what you have to do and that should be commended. Whether you are working your dream job, working at McDonalds, or even working as a package dude at UPS.... you are doing it the right way. Your persistence will pay off. Future employers will take note of your employment history and see that you are willing to do what it takes to make ends meet.

I am failing to see why this all leads to you feeling like you have been disowned by your family. It is clearly upsetting you and is a motivation force. Don't worry about what anyone thinks man. That includes your family as well. (If you are married, I am not including your wife. Wives aren't family. They are slave drivers. We strive to make them happy)

You need to focus on you. Don't do something because you think your mom is going to approve. You need to do it because it is something you want to do to make yourself happy. I will never understand the people who bend over backwards to please others. You need take care of you, because if you aren't happy... then it will be reflected in everything you do.

Long story short... if your family truly makes you feel like a disappointment, etc.. don't worry about it. You were not put on this earth to please them with YOUR path through life. Good luck.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Being a UPS employee for 7 years now (sorting) and also trying to break into the IT field, I feel your pain man. I can't stand going to work everyday, but it's a stable pay check.

As for your resume (specifically the UPS part), I think you should get rid of the first bullet point on safety. Moreover, somehow mention demonstrating work ethic in the job description. There's not really much for both of us to say about our job that are transferable skills besides work ethic and maybe teamwork.

Your off to a great start with those certificates though. Stay positive, keep sending your resume out, and apply for every internship/volunteer position you see to build experience. That's what I'm currently doing just to bulk up my resume, since mentioning UPS is somewhat worthless (lol). Best of luck man!
    You're right, but since UPS has been my only employment for the past year, I have no choice but to put it in. The health benefits are good, but that is the only thing UPS has going for it. I don't hate the job, but it is pretty mundane, and there is no room for promotion (and with the little pay, it is time for a change).
    i would say this entire section needs changing. ditch the first bullet thats stuff your supposed to do anyway, you need to show them why you are awesome not just following procedure.

i dot know the ins and outs of your job but IMO something like "Worked as part of a busy team to ensure safe and efficient loading of packages" sounds better then the second point.

its hard to explain but dont just state what you did, emphasise any responsibilites,team work etc let them call you in for an interview to ask any specifics
    I understand, now. I should try to put open-ended statements, so that the interviewer can ask questions about my positions, instead of not having much to say.

RouteThisWay: It is good that you said that. I'm definitely not doing this for other people, I'm doing this for me, because I have to focus myself and myself first before I can focus on others. You only live once, and you always want to improve yourself. I want to be able to actually make a living, and have a path to improving my wage, and my livelihood. I'm motivated to do this, and I don't like sitting around doing nothing (unless I'm really tired or sick, and even then, if there is something that has to be done, then I will try and do it).

The reason why I said I disappointed my family is because I didn't graduate college. Graduating college for my mother is a big deal. Honestly, I could have graduated college right now, if I went for an easy degree like English, or History, or Literature, but how much money do you think you can make off of those degrees? Not much; what type of promotions do those degrees offer? Almost nothing; how much debt will I be in and how long will I finish paying that debt off if I try graduating in those type of degrees? Lots of debt and it would take me a decade (maybe longer to finish paying the whole thing off).

That is why I tried to go into computer programming, because I like computers and wanted to see how they functioned, but that didn't work out. Then I went into HVAC, because it was a 2-year program, you could get hired right away with good pay, and there was room for advancement, but again, that didn't work out. Now I believe that this is my last chance. I understand that my mom wants me to have a Bachelors degree, but I think it isn't for the many job openings that will become available, but more so the fact that it's because you have a Bachelors degree (status amongst peers); but I'm a logical person, I'm not going to get a bachelors degree if it means I will be in debt for a huge portion of my life with a crap job and no room for advancement, and I honestly don't care what people think about me, unless it is something that is a fault with me and I can try to remove said fault or improve myself (constructive criticism).

I plan on getting a bachelors degree later on, but right now, I want to focus on getting a job. I know I will start out at the bottom, but if I can get a full time job and make at least $12-15 an hour, that is money I can live on (studio apartment, get the minimum of what I need, maybe keep working at UPS if the hours align).

I want to make things right, and while I know that it will be very hectic initially, there is the old saying that time heals wounds... I'm hoping that saying is true.