Options

Amatuer Radio operators

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
Got any HAMs on the board? Working on studying for my general class while also trying to study for the CCNP - bad idea, I know :)
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HAM on board... icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Leo Laporte was talking about this on TWIT last week.

I think its awesome, carry on! It's definitely a valuable skill, especially since the past few years have seen so many devastating catastrophes bring down complete infrastructures.

Apparently he is also doing some sort of HAM radio podcast now due to popular demand, you might check into that.

Much luck to you my friend! Carry on!
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm working on the tech class very slowly. How long have you been studying?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Took Technician Plus over 12 years ago. Passed Novice, Tech and the code test the same day. That was before I started doing certs. I've been wanting to do General for the last 3 years but IT certs keep me busy. I recently bought a 2m/70cm dualband HT to get the mood going.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was a radio tech in the military so I have no excuse not to be licensed. It's been a fixture on my to-do list for years.
  • Options
    I'm working on the tech class very slowly. How long have you been studying?

I've only been studying for the General for about a week but it doesn't take long to study for these since you get all the questions beforehand. It only took me a weekend to study and pass the technician. Amateur Radio is a bit backwards from IT certs in that it's much easier to pass the exam and then learn the technology in depth afterwards because you aren't legally allowed to use it until you have the license. I learn way more from hands on than I do from reading tech material so I'm trying to get through the General as quickly as possible so I can purchase an HF rig and start tinkering.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I was a radio tech in the military so I have no excuse not to be licensed. It's been a fixture on my to-do list for years.

it only costs about 15 bucks (varies from state to state but 15 is average) and you can knock the studying out in a weekend. Used ham radios can be had for under 100 if you check craigslist and ebay frequently. It's a fun hobby and can be a lifesaver if you're far away from civilization and cell towers and have a ham radio in your vehicle. You can always join one of the Armed Forces MARS programs if you yearn for the rigidity of a military radio net :)

American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    General Class here. I've sworn I won't go for my Extra until I have a working base station at my house. I've got everything I need except antenna(s) up on my roof. I've been meaning to check my city's antenna laws, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I think I'd much rather write HAM radio software than actually talk on the radio.

• Options
    I need to get around to taking the General class. If I do that, I will need to get an HF rig and some antennas going. That is going to have to wait until college is done.
  • Options
    Are any of you using D-Star?
  • Options
    Anybody else on EchoLink? It's an amateur radio network that uses the Internet (VoIP) rather than the airwaves. It's limited to only licensed amateurs, so think of it as a worldwide voice/Morse IRC for HAM radio people only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echolink
  • Options
    PhoneGuyPhoneGuy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another ham here. Was first licensed in 1976. I hold and extra ticket and enjoy relaxing on 40 meter CW. CW, yea, morse code, the original digital mode.

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Technician Class here. KE7UOP. Working towards my general class.
  • Options
    Leo Laporte's new ham radio podcast, Ham Nation. It's hosted by Bob Heil, K9EID, and Gordon West, WB6NOA. They record it live on Tuesday at 6PM Pacific/9PM Eastern. You can watch it live at TWiT Live - netcasts you love, from people you trust and participate in the IRC chat room. Or you can just download and watch it later like I usually do.

Bob Heil talks about his rock-and-roll speakers and microphones background on another Leo Laporte podcast episode here.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seriously thinking about doing this.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A little bit off topic but I've used to mess around with CB radios a while back (even made a dipole antenna with speaker wire that worked as I was able to talk to someone across the sound), I have a large CB dipole in the attic (it's now being used as a tv antenna but I'm planning to buy another antenna as I've been having some issues with some channels.) I also listen to HAMs on my scanner when I'm bored. Wireless communication has always fascinated me.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Anybody else on EchoLink? It's an amateur radio network that uses the Internet (VoIP) rather than the airwaves. It's limited to only licensed amateurs, so think of it as a worldwide voice/Morse IRC for HAM radio people only.

Echolink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe we should start a TE Ham Radio Net icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any good places to go to get started? I am thinking about it not only from a geek points perspective but a survival perspective icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Any good places to go to get started? I am thinking about it not only from a geek points perspective but a survival perspective icon_thumright.gif

Check out the ARRL's web site: American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO
  • Options
    Amateur radio can be so overwhelming with all the technology and regulations and everything that I highly recommend finding an amateur radio club near you. They will help you get the basic Technicians class license and let you practice on their GOTA (Get On The Air) equipment. You can find a club listing at ARRL | Get Involved in Ham Radio | Connect, Volunteer, Learn, Donate
  • Options
    Episode 72 of TWiT's Home Theater Geeks podcast with Scott Wilkinson has an interview with Bob Heil. Apparently, in addition to speakers, microphones, and ham radio, Bob is also a pioneer in satellite dish TV and home theater systems. A very interesting interview indeed.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just ordered the book take and pass the technician exam. Ordered it through amazon prime, and got free next day delivery.

Amazon.com: Ham Radio License Manual with CD (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) (9780872590977): arrl: Books

Thinking of taking it in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Episode 72 of TWiT's Home Theater Geeks podcast with Scott Wilkinson has an interview with Bob Heil. Apparently, in addition to speakers, microphones, and ham radio, Bob is also a pioneer in satellite dish TV and home theater systems. A very interesting interview indeed.

Anyone else seen the ham radio setup at the new TWIT brick building? It's incredible to say the least... :D
  • Options
    I heard that Gordon West got ICOM and other companies to donate equipment to TWiT. I only listen to the audio releases of the podcasts, so I haven't seen it yet. I'd sure like to travel up to Petaluma and get some air time in Leo's station. I wonder if he has his QSL cards printed yet, or maybe he'll just do digital.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Random question for you guys --- and excuse my ignorance, since I have never played around with such tech!

Is it difficult and/or possible to listen to cell phone conversations using this tech? The reason why I bring it up is that my parents have some neighbors that are less than desirable, and they have a large antennae on top of their house (so HAM operator). Heard from some friends that it would be possible to listen in on cell phone conversations, but it is highly illegal.

Thoughts? Sorry -- not trying to hijack this thread --- but you guys all seem pretty knowledgeable.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    With the right equipment you could theoretically monitor analog calls but almost everything is digital these days, therefore not possible to monitor. Probability of them listening to calls, extremely low.

Of course the above doesn't apply if they work for the NSA.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    With the right equipment you could theoretically monitor analog calls but almost everything is digital these days, therefore not possible to monitor. Probability of them listening to calls, extremely low.

Of course the above doesn't apply if they work for the NSA.

Correct. It use to be possible when they were analog, much less likely now that it's all digital.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks very much for the info! Really appreciate the details, as I will tell my folks and it should give them some peace of mind. :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Amateur radio does not include the RF bands licensed for cellular communications. Any equipment capable of communicating on cellular transmission bands is not considered part of amateur radio. I believe that it is illegal to possess a scanner capable of intercepting/eavesdropping on cellular transmissions without the proper license.
  • Options
    Amateur radio does not include the RF bands licensed for cellular communications. Any equipment capable of communicating on cellular transmission bands is not considered part of amateur radio. I believe that it is illegal to possess a scanner capable of intercepting/eavesdropping on cellular transmissions without the proper license.

Not that I'm aware of, but I do know that those frequencies are blocked on any radio I've owned that goes that high. I'm going to have to check the FCC rules, but I believe it's the listening to, not the owning that is illegal. I know that in some areas Cellular capable radios have been modified to use the 900MHz Amateur band. If your right, than those radios are illegal. My FCC rule book is way old, so I'm going to have to do some googling icon_wink.gif